Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sunnygirl

Horrible breakout

I´m so glad spiro worked for you guys, for me it´s been a total failure, almost 4 months and still breaking out like crazy. So I´ve decided to quit it and start with androcur (I think It´s not available on the US) which is a more powefull yet safe androgen inhibitor and I´m going bak to diane 35. I got so sick of spiro, peeing like crazy all the time, and most of all, getting no results. I will keep you updated!!! wish me luck in this one

Things are still going really well with spiro, but a few weeks ago I started tazorac cream again after my sister has been having great success with it for fine lines and sun damage. I started off really slow, once every third night for about two weeks, and the last week I used it once every second night. The first two weeks were okay.....I broke out a bit before my period, but this last week has been quite bad. It's like every bump I ever had on my face is slowly coming out. I know that's what tazorac is supposed to do, but it's still a little discouraging. I'm just hoping that the breakouts and peeling will subside and the benefits will be worth it. I am happy to report that I have only been breaking out in small pustules and papules and that I haven't had a single cyst in MONTHS, and I used to have bad cystic acne, so spiro is doing something!

I'm in such a terrible mood! My skin is so shitty I want to cry. I've been using tazorac almost every day and for the past few weeks my breakouts have been getting worse and worse. Last week I broke out on my chin and got a huge cyst that lasted so long. What's worse is that it all happened on the weekend that I was invited to my boyfriend's play that he's in and to meet all of his theatre friends. I looked aweful. I was the only one there with bad skin. Now, I still have huge zits coming up all in my t-zone. I'm stopping tazorac because this is ridiculous.....I'm back to the insecure person who hides all day again. I hate this.

Sorry to hear that tazorac didn't work for you. I think some people just react badly to retinoids. I know I can't use them (Differin made my skin look like hell). Have you ever tried Finacea? It seems to be a good alternative for people who don't like or can't use retinoids. It is antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, prevents comedone formation and reduces red marks and hyperpigmentation. Its not as strong as taz, but it also shouldn't flare your acne or give you any kind of IB. I've been using Finacea for about 2 months now (along with 5% BP on my chin and a mild OTC retinoid Derm A Gel that I use all over my face). The combo seems to be working quite well for me.

Sorry to hear that tazorac didn't work for you. I think some people just react badly to retinoids. I know I can't use them (Differin made my skin look like hell). Have you ever tried Finacea? It seems to be a good alternative for people who don't like or can't use retinoids. It is antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, prevents comedone formation and reduces red marks and hyperpigmentation. Its not as strong as taz, but it also shouldn't flare your acne or give you any kind of IB. I've been using Finacea for about 2 months now (along with 5% BP on my chin and a mild OTC retinoid Derm A Gel that I use all over my face). The combo seems to be working quite well for me.

Thanks Willow, I'll look into it. This happened the last time I tried tazorac too. I thought it would be different this time with the cream instead of the gel though. My sister seems to be having great success with it, but I just can't stop constant peeling and horrible breakouts even after two months......it just keeps getting worse. I have a derm appointment next month and I'll discuss the options with her as well. Thanks for your support.

I'm in such a terrible mood! My skin is so shitty I want to cry. I've been using tazorac almost every day and for the past few weeks my breakouts have been getting worse and worse. Last week I broke out on my chin and got a huge cyst that lasted so long. What's worse is that it all happened on the weekend that I was invited to my boyfriend's play that he's in and to meet all of his theatre friends. I looked aweful. I was the only one there with bad skin. Now, I still have huge zits coming up all in my t-zone. I'm stopping tazorac because this is ridiculous.....I'm back to the insecure person who hides all day again. I hate this.

:comfort: I hope your breakout subsides soon

Thanks Molly, I really appreciate your support. I know this isn't a spiro breakout because my skin was doing really well until the tazorac. Right now I have about eight zits on my chin and several around my nose that desperately need to heal. The cyst has popped and is healing. My skin has stopped peeling excessively, but is still blotchy with tons of red marks now. I will not let my boyfriend see me without make-up at all.....I even put concealer on the bad marks at night because I can't stand to look at myself or have anyone else look at me. This has been a total set back and is totally discouraging, but I'm hoping with some TLC it will improve soon.

Thanks Molly, I really appreciate your support. I know this isn't a spiro breakout because my skin was doing really well until the tazorac. Right now I have about eight zits on my chin and several around my nose that desperately need to heal. The cyst has popped and is healing. My skin has stopped peeling excessively, but is still blotchy with tons of red marks now. I will not let my boyfriend see me without make-up at all.....I even put concealer on the bad marks at night because I can't stand to look at myself or have anyone else look at me. This has been a total set back and is totally discouraging, but I'm hoping with some TLC it will improve soon.

Hopefully, it will heal once the tazorac is out of your system. My derm appointment is finally tomorrow :D I :pray: he gives me spiro

Hey SunnyGirl,

I'm so sorry to hear about your recent set back. That is SO frustrating, especially since you were doing so well on Spiro. I have never had any luck with Tazorac either. I don't remember it causing me to break out badly but I stopped using for some reason or another (it was a while ago) so that may have been the case. Either that or I just wasn't seeing any improvement. After trying every retinoid in the book (I was literally on Retin-A for about 15+ years), I've decided to give it a rest. Now I'm on 100 mg of Spiro a day and when I see a huge zit emerging, I dab some tea tree oil on it. I can't say my skin is great but after 2 months on Spiro and no more retin-a, it seems somewhat under control except around my period. Even on Spiro, I still break out all around my chin and neck when it's that time of the month. Just wondering, when did you really start to see major improvement with Spiro? Was it after a full 3 months? I guess I'm still hoping things will get a lot better because it's only been 2 months. Should I keep at it??

Hi everyone,

I just started Spironolactone 50mg twice daily a couple of days ago. I hope that i get some great results like some of you have! I'm just curious, is there anyone taking spiro that is in their 20's? I'm 20 and I've noticed that a lot of the people posting here are in their thirties, and i was just wondering if it is normally prescribed only for ADULT adults (i say that because i don't really feel fully like an adult yet, haha). I'd be interested to hear what it has done for someone my age. I'm also on Yasmin and have been for like 3 years. Any success for anyone?

I'm just curious, is there anyone taking spiro that is in their 20's?

I'm 27 (started taking spiro when I was 26). So, i'm a little older than you, but still in my 20s :) Spiro has definitely been my miracle drug. I'm taking 200 mg (for acne + hirsutism). I really think that ever since I started getting acne (about age 17-18) my problem has been hormonal and that Spiro would have worked just as well for me back then. After almost 10 years of being treated by my primary physician and dermatologist with practically every topical and antibiotic, I finally got referred to an endocrinologist who, without hesitation, put me on Spiro. Good luck with spiro-- sounds like you're on a good dose (100 mg split into 2 doses). Just curious-- did your doc/pharmacist tell you to split your dose in half, or was that your personal decision? I take my entire 200 mg dose at once in the afternoon.

Hi Sunnygirl. I'm pretty new to this site but took interest in this thread because we are going through the same thing right now. I'm 33 and have been on spiro since june. I started seeing results about the end of August, but now I am completly clear for the first time in my life. Like you I cannot take the bcp so I have had to deal with crazy issues with my cycle. It has been getting shorter in between periods and I'm hoping there is some way to regulate it again without having to take the bcp. Let me know how you are doing. I have heard about a topical form of spiro that does not have any systemic side effects but it is just as effective. Has anyone here used it? Hope to read an update soon. OH, by the way I too am highly sensitive to retinoids. I cannot use them because they will make me all red and I'll break out too. Good luck and I hope your skin is doing better. :)

Hi Valentinetwins,

I'm glad there's someone else that has similar experiences to mine. I wish I knew what would regulate my cycles. I don't have mid cycle bleeding anymore, but like you, they're closer together now. Sometimes it's just a few days early or late, but other times it's like a week early. I'm hoping with time it will get better. It's easy for others to say "just take a BCP with it", but I have nothing but bad side effects from them and I just can't go through all of that again. I finally feel normal and healthy again!

I stopped tazorac about ten days ago and went back to using benzoyl peroxide and my face is rapidly clearing up. I don't know why retinoids break me out, but they do. My next derm appointment will be in December, so I'll ask her about the topical spiro. Keep in touch.

Well, seven months on spiro and I'm still breaking out. My forhead and areas beside my nose cleared but I'm still having a problem with my chin. This past breakout was bad and probably due to tazorac (which I discontinued) and I ended up with eight big zits on my chin. I just got rid of the last three a couple of days ago and just when I think it's getting better, I just noticed I'm getting another big hard one. Arg! :wall: I have to go to my boyfriend's Christmas party this weekend! I'm so tired of acne!

A positive - I'm clear everywhere else except my chin.

Aww I'm sorry about your recent breakout. I know it can be so stressful around the holidays. I'm certain you'll look beautiful at the Christmas pary regardless. :)

I wanted to update you and get some info if possible. Two weeks ago I cut my Spiro dose in half ( down to 25 mg ) hoping to bypass the terrible menstrual side effects that the 50mg was causeing me. I don't know if the side effects will go away yet, but my skin looks even better.!! I thought it was my imagination but my sister even noticed. I wonder now if the 50mg was too much for me. I am not a small girl by any means but I do tend to be sensitive to certain meds so maybe that is all I need. I wonder though, how long after you quite taking spiro the first time did it take before you broke out? Thanks again for all the info you have shared with us. :)

Aww I'm sorry about your recent breakout. I know it can be so stressful around the holidays. I'm certain you'll look beautiful at the Christmas pary regardless. :)

I wanted to update you and get some info if possible. Two weeks ago I cut my Spiro dose in half ( down to 25 mg ) hoping to bypass the terrible menstrual side effects that the 50mg was causeing me. I don't know if the side effects will go away yet, but my skin looks even better.!! I thought it was my imagination but my sister even noticed. I wonder now if the 50mg was too much for me. I am not a small girl by any means but I do tend to be sensitive to certain meds so maybe that is all I need. I wonder though, how long after you quite taking spiro the first time did it take before you broke out? Thanks again for all the info you have shared with us. :)

The first time I quit spiro I noticed breaking out about two weeks after. It was pretty quick. Let me know how decreasing the dose affects your cycles. Hopefully it will get back on track soon. Good luck!

Okay, so here's a pic I just took. I am wearing make up....and lots of it to try to cover past breakouts and red marks. You can clearly see the three huge zits on my chin. Booooo! When will it ever stop?

post-42624-1195691646_thumb.jpg

That is a great picture. What make-up are you wearing. Your skin in the picture does not have any scarring at all. My skin may be clear right now but I cannot stand how awful the scarring is. :( I wish I had found spiro sooner.

I have to admit, sunnygirl, you've always been one of my favorites on the board. I lurked for a while and I've posted for almost two years but my heart always goes out to you. I'm in my mid/late 20's and I know it's frustrating not having 'teen' acne. Hang in there! We're here for you.

Thank you!

I'm still having trouble with my chin. :wall: It just keeps breaking out. But I remember before I started I had hundreds of small bumps all over my face and now it's smooth and blackheads are decreasing. I'm thinking because my skin was/is so congested, especially on my chin, that's it's just taking longer to purge everything out.

I have about five pimples on my chin/lower face right now. Well, one of them was a cyst (haven't had one of those in a long while) and I just got rid of that yesterday so it's healing now. I'm trying to stay postive...this IS the best treatment I've tried and I really do believe that it's working at the source of my problem. Good luck to every one dealing with this. I hope we all find our answer one day.

Hi everyone,

I thought I'd write an update since it's been such a long time since I posted last. I've now been officially on spiro for about a year now, and as much as it has helped my complexion, it has by no means been a cure all. I have been alternating between 150 and 175mg for several months and I still break out from time to time and it can be quite bad.

I have noticed some positives: less facial hair & noticeably less oily skin and hair.

Negatives: I still break out quite often although they are less severe. Decreased sex drive and excessive salt cravings.

I'll continue to take spiro because as I said, it is better now than when I started, but I would like to one day not have to depend on medication. Good luck to you all.