Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sunnygirl

Horrible breakout

You are not alone, Sunnygirl! I started Retin-A 3 weeks ago to even out skin tone and keep lines at bay and I'm going through the dreaded initial breakout....yes it happens, even if you're on 100mg of spiro/day. Last week was not good...4 inflammed pimples, the kind that leave scars. It's so discouraging, especially after seeing some good clearing from the spiro. Well, at least we know what the offending agents are. Unfortunately, I can't bring myself to throw out the Retin-A...I really want to give it the full 12 weeks it can take to show improvement. I'm keeping my fingers crossed! Sorry your breakout had to happen when your boyfriend was visiting...that is a major bummer, and if it's any consolation, I've been there too. I'm glad he was comforting and supportive...he sounds like a good one!

gloria,

Stay with the Retin A. I am 2 months into Spiro, and 2 months into Retin A too. I saw my doc yesterday and he said he thinks the improvements I am seeing in my skin are not the spiro, but the Retin A. There are parts of my face that look so good! Lines are disappearing and it feels smooth. But damn, I have some areas of my face that are hell. And I know it is the Retin A working through all the crap that has been in my face for so long. Doc said in 4-6 months, I won't recognize my face. I hope so!!!

gloria,

Stay with the Retin A. I am 2 months into Spiro, and 2 months into Retin A too. I saw my doc yesterday and he said he thinks the improvements I am seeing in my skin are not the spiro, but the Retin A. There are parts of my face that look so good! Lines are disappearing and it feels smooth. But damn, I have some areas of my face that are hell. And I know it is the Retin A working through all the crap that has been in my face for so long. Doc said in 4-6 months, I won't recognize my face. I hope so!!!

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I do plan to stick with the Retin-A. I guess it's true what they say...it gets worse before it gets better. It's just frustrating because I was making major progress with spiro and now I feel like I've taken several steps back. My skin is still better than before spiro so I'm going to hold steady and wait it out. Hope you continue to improve!

Put me in that boat too then! I'm on month 5 of Yasmin and seeing GREAT results but I was still getting comedones and blackheads so my derm basically insisted on Retin-a. I'm on the .04 using now every other day (month one was twice weekly) and I just got over what I think was my IB. I hadn't had a big pustule in like two months so a bad breakout really set me back. Right now I just feel like snake lady...peel peel peel...I am Forcing myself to stick it out 12 weeks. I'm in week 5 now and only have one comedone and lots of little blackheads on my nose.

I have a derm appointment on the 30th and I think I'm going to ask her about retin-a to even out my skin and help with fine wrinkles. I just can't stand the red marks and blotchiness that are taking forever to go away. I think I'd be able to tolerate a few breakouts if I saw results in my skin. This glycolic acid moisturizer/sunscreen did nothing but make me super oily and breakout with no results shown. We'll see what she says.

I also remember in the beginning of the year that she only wanted to put me on spiro for a year and then take me off of it to see what happens. I'm totally scared about that even though that's months away. I mean, I've had cystic acne and facial hair since I was 15 years old. How do I tell her/plead with her to keep me on spiro long term since this is the only med that has worked?

I'm totally scared about that even though that's months away. I mean, I've had cystic acne and facial hair since I was 15 years old. How do I tell her/plead with her to keep me on spiro long term since this is the only med that has worked?

Maybe you should see an endo. I skipped my derm and went to an endo and he put me on spiro not only for my acne but some hairs on my face as well. I have no new break outs (I had 2 VERY small zits that seem to have gone away as soon as they arrived) but still have the hair so I'm starting electrolysis to get rid of them.

Arg! I just completed my 5th month and I'm still breaking out! Every time I think things are getting better, I get more pimples. It is better than before, but I'm really wanting to have clear skin. I went to my derm at the end of August and she upped my dose to 150mg, so I'll be taking 50mg in the morning and 100mg at night. I hope this makes a difference.

Venomous, I would love to see an endo and I will when the time comes. Right now I do not want to stop treatment to get my hormones re-tested. I do know that something is off.....I've always had cystic acne and facial hair since I got my period and it has not gotten better.

Anyways, I'm hoping for the best.

Same here! i ´m on my third month and I haven´t noticed any improvements, once one pimple is gone, another one appears. I´m so sick of it. I´ll give it a try for 6 months, if it doesn´t work i´ll go back to diane and androcur!

Wow! Does 150mg ever make a difference! I am happy to report that 10 days after upping my dose to 150mg, my skin is clear and looks beautiful! I haven't had any new breakouts for about a week. I am so happy. My skin is starting to heal and marks are starting to fade. My neck and forehead, which were ravaged by cysts in the beginning have been clear for about two months, and I'm hoping my poor chin will be able to remain clear and finally heal. Yahoo for sprio!!!! I LOVE IT.:dance: Oh, and no weird side effects either.....maybe a few more trips to the bathroom which doesn't bother me in the least. We'll see how this effects my period though (I'm not taking BCP). *fingers crossed* I'll let you girls know.

Wow! Does 150mg ever make a difference! I am happy to report that 10 days after upping my dose to 150mg, my skin is clear and looks beautiful! I haven't had any new breakouts for about a week. I am so happy. My skin is starting to heal and marks are starting to fade. My neck and forehead, which were ravaged by cysts in the beginning have been clear for about two months, and I'm hoping my poor chin will be able to remain clear and finally heal. Yahoo for sprio!!!! I LOVE IT.:dance: Oh, and no weird side effects either.....maybe a few more trips to the bathroom which doesn't bother me in the least. We'll see how this effects my period though (I'm not taking BCP). *fingers crossed* I'll let you girls know.

Hey Sunnygirl!

I have been reading your posts and am so happy to hear that Spiro has finally worked wonders for you! I am in my second week of Spiro at 50mg a day. My skin looks like total crap right now but I'm just trying to take it one day at a time. I wish I could fast-forward 4 months! Anyway, I'm also thrilled to hear that you have a new boyfriend! Things still going well??

Yes, things are still going really well with my boyfriend. We went to high school together and were friends back when I had the most awful acne (which he says he doesn't remember). He had acne really bad in high school as well, but he grew out of it by grade 12, so he completely understands what I'm going through, and I'm very upfront about my complexion and that I'm taking spiro. Even now at 33 he gets the occasional zit. I laugh because they are so small in comparison to mine. I even let him see me without makeup on in the mornings which is a BIG deal for me.

I once said that I wish I could fast forward the months so that I can see results. It will take time and you'll have some ups and downs, but don't loose hope. Maybe you'll discover that your dose will have to be raised to receive the results you want. Good luck!

Hey Sunnygirl,

That's great that you've found someone who understands what you've gone through with your skin and who you feel comfortable enough with to let see you without makeup! Believe me, I know what a big step this is!! As far as my dose, I am actually supposed to be taking 50 mg twice a day but was just working up to that slowly. I was planning to up my dosage after week 2. Like you, I had some anxiety about taking Spiro and at first was extremely paranoid about any chance in my body or any "perceived" change, because I think it's all in my head. Do you think 2 weeks is a good time to up my dosage to twice a day and do you think that this change from 50 mg a day to 100mg will be much more effective?? I really appreciate your advice, as you have sort of become the Spiro expert! ;)

hey sunnygirl - congratulations! I wanted to thank you for sharing that upping your dosage helped alot. according to dr. geoffrey redmond's book, most women need at least 100 mg and up to 200 mg of spiro to see results. so women that are not seeing results may just need more. my daughter is doing great on only yasmin and 50 mgs. BTW. Her skin is clear and even and beautiful. what a blessing.

Yay Sunnygirl! So happy the upped dosage made the difference for you! Isn't it amazing to watch your skin clear up before your eyes? It is a wonderful thing indeed. Congratulations also on your happy relationship. Just goes to show that when the going gets rough, always keep in mind that the world can be a very different place in six months, and it looks like, for you, it really is. Enjoy!

Thanks for the support ladies. It's been about three weeks (Aug. 29) since I upped my dose and it's the second week of no new breakouts. I'm so excited. My skin is looking and feeling great. I still have some very tiny bumps and blackheads on my cheeks and chin, but I'm not worried about that at all. I am a little bit more tired these days, but I've been dealing with tonsilitis and have been on penicillin for a week. I hope I feel better soon and I'm not so tired and run down.

Magnolia, I'm glad I'm not the only one who has anxiety about starting medication. I was really scared and every little side effect sent me into an attack. That goes away once you get used to the medication, and I think you'll experience success when you up your dose. Just make sure you give your body time to adjust, and your side effects disappear before going up to 100mg. Drink lots of water. Even more than usual. Good luck!

Thanks for the support ladies. It's been about three weeks (Aug. 29) since I upped my dose and it's the second week of no new breakouts. I'm so excited. My skin is looking and feeling great. I still have some very tiny bumps and blackheads on my cheeks and chin, but I'm not worried about that at all. I am a little bit more tired these days, but I've been dealing with tonsilitis and have been on penicillin for a week. I hope I feel better soon and I'm not so tired and run down.

Magnolia, I'm glad I'm not the only one who has anxiety about starting medication. I was really scared and every little side effect sent me into an attack. That goes away once you get used to the medication, and I think you'll experience success when you up your dose. Just make sure you give your body time to adjust, and your side effects disappear before going up to 100mg. Drink lots of water. Even more than usual. Good luck!

thanks so much for sharing. I too am in similar boat. About 4 months of spiro...and still getting minor breakouts. Thinking I may need to up it. I know this is off topic, but I noticed your skin looks flawless in the europe pictures. Do you mind if I ask what makeup you use?

Still doing really well with 150mg of spiro. I'm midcycle and I have no spotting...hooray! I did have a few smal pimples that never came to a head and went away rather quickly. Other than that I have nothing new to report.

Positivethin, I use revlon colorstay. It's been the best make-up I've used and stayed on and covered well even when I had the worst oily skin and cystic acne. The pictures look good because of angles and lighting, and I photoshopped the big zits out. Maybe when I have the courage one day I'll post some pictures that showed my acne.

Still doing really well with 150mg of spiro. I'm midcycle and I have no spotting...hooray! I did have a few smal pimples that never came to a head and went away rather quickly. Other than that I have nothing new to report.

Positivethin, I use revlon colorstay. It's been the best make-up I've used and stayed on and covered well even when I had the worst oily skin and cystic acne. The pictures look good because of angles and lighting, and I photoshopped the big zits out. Maybe when I have the courage one day I'll post some pictures that showed my acne.

Thanks so much. And good luck to you.

I started my 2nd period today. Bummer. :( This is the third month in a row where I've had either a 2nd period or an early period. I hope this straightens itself out because it's not only really inconvenient but also really depressing. Oh well.....I guess I'm just in a bad mood about it all. BTW, my skin still looks great.

I started my 2nd period today. Bummer. :( This is the third month in a row where I've had either a 2nd period or an early period. I hope this straightens itself out because it's not only really inconvenient but also really depressing. Oh well.....I guess I'm just in a bad mood about it all. BTW, my skin still looks great.

you do know that is the main reason women should take the bc pill along with spiro? it happens alot.

I do know that's why they perscribe the pill along with spiro. Unfortunatley I do not react well with the pill and I've tried many of them. After being off the pill for 15 months my anxiety has lessened dramatically, my melasma is has faded and my hair is finally growing back from a massive hair shedding phase. So, I guess I'm living with two periods a month then as a trade off for clear skin.

Sunny,

Since you are bleeding a lot, make sure to take an iron supplement. Iron is recycled in our bodies by dying red blood cells. If you are bleeding a lot, they don't have the ability to recycle their iron, and you could become anemic.

Glad to hear your face is still clear!

I do know that's why they perscribe the pill along with spiro. Unfortunatley I do not react well with the pill and I've tried many of them. After being off the pill for 15 months my anxiety has lessened dramatically, my melasma is has faded and my hair is finally growing back from a massive hair shedding phase. So, I guess I'm living with two periods a month then as a trade off for clear skin.

Oh I figured you had tried them. How long did you take them? My daughter was an emotional wreck when she first started Yasmin. After a year she says she is OK now. In fact, the pill allowed her to open up and vent some of her emotions. I think she had so much testosterone flowing in her before that she was almost like a guy in how she handled her emotions and it took alot to make her cry.

I was mostly throwing this out there for others that are checking spiro out and reading up on it. Some might not know that the pill helps regulate things. Have you tried the patch? I wonder if that could possibly be any different. I agree about you possibly needing more iron. A good multi-vitamin would help too I suppose.

Birth control pills I have tried: Synphasic, Mircette, Ortho Cyclen, Ortho Tri-Cyclen, Ortho Cept, Allesse and Yasmin. I started taking the pill when I was 17 and finally stopped last year at the age of 31. I stayed on Ortho Cyclen, Ortho Tri-Clyclen and Ortho Cept for the majority of those years. I'm completely satisfied with the decision I've made to discontinue the pill as it gave me (yes, all of them) terrible side effects, some of which took some months to develop. I'm not against BCP, I just know it's not for me.

As for the spotting, it only lasted three days and was very light. Maybe things are starting to regulate. We'll see. I'm just so happy with the results of spiro. I feel great. :angel: Thank you for the avice regarding making sure I get extra iron. I really appreciate the support!

Good to see your skin doing so well! I'm still clear although I have been getting small zits on my nose (I think it's from sunblock) that are barely noticable compared to the nickel sized cysts I was getting on my chin!