Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
proteinchemist

proteinchemists Accutane Log

Hey everyone. I'm a longtime lurker, first time poster. I just took my first accutane pill. I will be on 60 mg and want to record my progress. SO EXCITED!!! I have had acne for 10 years (22, female). Hope to have people to do this with. THANKS GUYS!

DAY 1: FIRST PILL!

Day 2-3: I have been alternating between 40 and 80 for a cum. dose of 60. I have not really been noticing any change yet. I am actually taking the brand name accutane. Money isn't an issue, because I have a great insurance plan and pay 60 dollars for each script. I have saved up for the whole course. I was debating getting generic, because it's technically the "same thing." However, my derm said that accutane seemed to work better out of personal experience (took less time to clear), and was metabolized at a higher percentage. So, I went with the accutane. For those of you wondering, you can go to PubMed and look up the comparative studies of efficacy of accutane and rate metabolized. I don't remember the link but search "Accutane in the browser."

I may be the only one interested in this stuff like metabolisms etc.... however, just letting people know. I think generic is probably just about the same. Also, I realize how expensive this is... derm visits etc....

I am on day four, so it will be interesting to see our progress. What do you mean about our metabolism and being on accutane? I am congfused and interested. Iam a 36 year old female. I weigh 110lbs. Does that hav anything to do with what you are talking about and how long I will need to be on this?

I am on day four, so it will be interesting to see our progress. What do you mean about our metabolism and being on accutane? I am congfused and interested. Iam a 36 year old female. I weigh 110lbs. Does that hav anything to do with what you are talking about and how long I will need to be on this?

I had a lot of cups of water a day...to stay hydrated. but i think i need to drink more!!!!

My infected areas itch too..... =_=

My skin is not dry yet as well...except my lips.

I woke up this morning and my lips were cracked on the sides. I put some Cortibalm on them. :)

On another note, I love Neutrogena's fresh foaming cleanser. I have found it works great, and is not too drying. My derm recommended that. Also, my derm had a tip for keeping skin hydrated. She told me to buy a 12 pack of bottled watter. Fill them up and put the empty bottles in a bag, and make sure I drink 8 a day. This may seem like a lot of water but I think it's worthwhile. Then fill the bottles up and start again. Super convenient... I take so many bottles with me... or count how many times I have refilled a bottle and have a certain goal... I usually do not drink enough water anyways. However, my skin is not so dry yet...

I took 80 mg today. Nothing too special besides the lips.... eyes still a little itchy.

Well, today I am halfway through my second box of 40 mg pills. To tell the truth, I do notice a difference in my skin... it's dry but not too dry. However, it's not as drastic as I would have thought...

I did something today that I never do. I wore no makeup AT ALL. To class, the lab, and everything. When I started to put on foundation today it STUNG... also lotion stung today.... No one in my class, including my friends, seemed to care or notice. I was very worried about it at first, but I didn't care after 5 minutes. I hide behind my mask of foundation, no joke. It's probably obvious that I hide... but I DIDN'T TODAY. And you know what, if people are mean to you because you have some acne, they are not even worth talking to anyways.

:) Keep on trooping!!! No IB yet, but I did get a nice looking pimple just in time for Easter... go figure.

Well, I finished off box 2 of pills today. Skin is ok, I guess. Still not that dry, which has me a little worried. I am sure that the drug is working, because OW MY SCALP! Oh goodness I have been itching my head like crazy. Has anyone used Head and Shoulders "extreme" for this. There is some in our apartment I might try. Does anyone have any suggestions. I didn't wash my hair today. My hair is always so oily in the morning but not this morning, that's a first.

I would appreciate any feedback from people with this problem. It's really bugging me.

Yowwitch.

hey how you doing? im on my third week @ 20 mg/day but my derm will bump me up tomorrow, i hope to 40 mg, and i'm going through my IB right now which suck , but i have to be patient and wait, as for the head iching i recomend cleansing it every other day, but keep up, i think we started the same day, so hopefully we'll finish by the same date. ciao

Well, I forgot to take my pill yesterday. It's been pretty sunny here, and I got burned the other day. I was only in the sun for 20 minutes so that was a shocker. Good I wore sunblock on my face, otherwise I would have been super crispy.

Things are going well. I am breaking out on my forehead a little bit. Nothing too major, but annoying because I have 6 small ones between my eyes. BUMMER.

As for the scalp, it has been super annoying. I wash it every other day to every third day. Actually the Head and shoulders really helps. I also use Suave "moisture" which turns out to be super good, and super cheap too. I got it once before accutane and stopped using it because I thought it was making my hair/head too oily. My head is not as itchy when I use the shampoo and the conditioner now though!

Nosebleeds the last 2 days. How sad. More like dried blood (yuck) but still sort of nasty. It is starting to get humid here..... YAYAYAYAYAY HUMIDITY!!! My skin gets so dry in the winter there was no way I could take the tane then.

I'm going to the derm on Monday. I just had by blood work done to start MONTH 2!!!!! I'm done with 1 WHOLE MONTH OF ACCUTANE! I'm crossing my fingers that everything is OK.

I was SO tempted to drink last night. All of my friends were, and since I had just gotten my bw done I thought why not. But I didn't... it was hard though...

Ciao.

Skin condition: OK, still a lot of blackheads.... sigh.... still break out.... :(

Thanks for stopping by my post. I have to get my bloodwork done in the morning. FunFun!!! My paper is finally done. That is enough to make me breakout. You are on 60mgs right now? Have you been the whole time? My face is so dry lately I hope it doesnt make it look really badly. Oh well, yeah I drank one night on accutane. Not good. The next day my face looked sooo bad. I guess it is true what they say about alcohol. I guess I can live without it for awhile. Hard though. Good luck with your school work. I keep thinknig it will all be worth it.

UH OH. I went to the Derm. They didn't have my bloodwork in but she gave me a prescription anyways. She called and said my triglycerides were really high and I have to get another test in 2 weeks (SAD) and if they are not better she will lower the dosage. I am going to run every day and eat a lot of fruits and veggies. This med is my lifesaver. She approved me for this month at 60mg. What have you guys done to lower triglycerides besides diet/exercise that actually worked????

This SUCKS. My bloodwork has to be done a day after I graduate too... I don't think that I'll stop the med, but I don't want my dosage lowered! I have been studying hard for finals so I have not been exercising (bad me) so maybe that was why. But unfortunately I believe it is the med, because I eat fairly healthy.

AARGH, WHY ME!!!!!

Eat a big bowl of oatmeal everyday too - it's supposed to help... And go for REAL oatmeal, not that instant microwave crap.

Peanut butter and jelly? haha just kidding. THanks for stopping by my log. You graduate tomorrow? What is your degree in again? Good for you!!!!It must feel soooo great. I cant believe about your nose bleeds though. I have such dry skin in my nose. Sound great or what? Anyway if tomorrow is your grad - have a blast. And get those pictures done - they can get rid of the zits if you ask them. Trust me.

Hey guys. I had a really interesting day today, not really acne related but I will write it down because I have been thinking about it a ton. I am wrapping up my semester, and today was my last day of volunteering in the hospital. (neo-natal/PEDs).

I played with a young girl (5-6) who was a terminal patient dying of a brain tumor. I am very used to sick children as I have been doing this for a while, but it is still hard for me to accept the fact that such an innocent child is so sick. We were making a "happy transplant" card for her roommate, who was going through a marrow transplant. All she thought about was her roommate, not herself, and she told me her mom said that he may be with Jesus by the end of the day, and that someday she would be too.

I cried a lot after we made the card, not in front of her, but afterwards, and then I thought to myself. I bitch so much about having acne and feel so sorry for myself. It's JUST ACNE. There are people who would give anything to just have acne.

OK. Anyways just thought I would share this... we are so lucky, guys.

AARGH!!!

Well, my acne has been doing OK, but I am still getting breakouts (on cheeks) and this is pretty sad because I've never had them on my cheeks.

I'm a little impatient, but I know this takes time. I still have a lot of blackheads. I'm worried that when this is all done, I will be the one person that accutane didn't work on.

However, many people say wait until month three. I have no choice but to wait.... sigh...

OK, enough of my rant... I'm going running... gotta keep the tri-glycerides down...

:shifty:

AARGH!!!

Well, my acne has been doing OK, but I am still getting breakouts (on cheeks) and this is pretty sad because I've never had them on my cheeks.

I'm a little impatient, but I know this takes time. I still have a lot of blackheads. I'm worried that when this is all done, I will be the one person that accutane didn't work on.

However, many people say wait until month three. I have no choice but to wait.... sigh...

OK, enough of my rant... I'm going running... gotta keep the tri-glycerides down...

:shifty:

Well, I went in to get my blood drawn AGAIN because my triglycerides might be too high. I have been running all week and did not eat for 20 hours beforehand. Ridiculous, yes, yet I need to stay on this med.

FACE: Disappointing. I think I have more acne/ blackheads and red marks. Man, I haven't seen a whole ton of improvement. And it's almost been 2 months. I'm hoping for the best.

Well, there is SOME improvement. I used to have cysts on my jawbone and now I don't.