Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Has anyone gone of antibiotics after long term use successfully? I've been on them in some form or another since I was 16, I am now 21, and I want to just use a system like Proactiv or something. Anybody?

No. I'd been on erythromycin on two seperate occasions, and they came back after 2 months maximum. The antibiotics merely suppress bacteria growth, after you wean off them the spots come back, for me.

Guest Sincerely Me

So far, I have not heard that. Even me, with mild acne, if I stopped taking antibiotics it came right back. After my pregnancy, delivery and breastfeeding, I plan on getting on Accutane. However, maybe you will be different.

In any case, beware of Proactiv, that stuff, IMO and lots of others believe it sucks - it can really damage your skin and do more harm than good.

I didn't have a good experience going off of antibiotics. The acne came back within a few months. However, you may find that you have been lucky and naturally grown out of your acne during the time you were taking antibiotics. I think it is a good idea to use a topical whilst you are transitioning. Long term antibiotic use can deplete good bacteria which I think in turn could lead to digestive problems which some people claim can contribute to acne. I would suggest taking a good quality probiotic to replace that bacteria. Good luck

Proactiv's not good bro'. If you want to stop the antibiotics and find a topical solution, then asking a derm for a prescription topical is your best bet. OTC topicals have never worked for me.