Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
arabianlights

Alarming Oprah Article

Now, I'm not saying that whoever dermatologist said this in Oprah's zine was RIGHT or ACCURATE...but I was wondering what the general consensus is here, and why people think this is so.

In the article, the question was posed whether or not oral supplements have an impact on the skin. The dermatologist basically said that there is no proof that this is the case and that topical applications are the only proven method of improving skin.

:wacko: Now I'm confused because I have read statements such of these as well as other statements that attest to the power of supplements. Any ideas?

Guest Mumblesorusjen
Now, I'm not saying that whoever dermatologist said this in Oprah's zine was RIGHT or ACCURATE...but I was wondering what the general consensus is here, and why people think this is so.

In the article, the question was posed whether or not oral supplements have an impact on the skin. The dermatologist basically said that there is no proof that this is the case and that topical applications are the only proven method of improving skin.

:wacko: Now I'm confused because I have read statements such of these as well as other statements that attest to the power of supplements. Any ideas?

sorry...i should've clarified....it didn't discuss prescriptions like accutane, just vitamins and minerals. and it wasn't endorsing something either. im just wondering if anyone has read articles about the benefits of nutritional supplements for skin.

i thought b5 worked well. i never tried it though, i think the thing is, you have to take ridiculously large amounts of these vitamins to see an improvement in your skin.

i thought b5 worked well. i never tried it though, i think the thing is, you have to take ridiculously large amounts of these vitamins to see an improvement in your skin.

The dermatologist basically said that there is no proof that this is the case and that topical applications are the only proven method of improving skin.

The dermatologist basically said that there is no proof that this is the case and that topical applications are the only proven method of improving skin.

It's proven that dermatologists don't know anything. :lol:

yes they do learn something from all that schooling and training

what they learn is that the money is in treatment instead of prevention, so keep feeding the patient half-assed treatments that will cost them hundreds of dollars

dermatology is a business like the rest of medical practices

I dunno, i give doctors credit (all kinds, not just derms). they do have a hard job. and when they can't perform miracles all the time people come up with these health care conspiracies. like they are just after your money, which of course they are, that is how they make your living. but many (most probably) also are genuinely trying to help their patients. and many times they do.

A study done with test subjects taking 150mg of Zinc/day showed 87% improvement in their acne. I have read alot about the benefits of taking Zinc and other supplements for acne. The problem is that most people dont know that almost all supplements depend on other supplements in order to be absorbed properly. Like B-5 has to be taken with a B-complex because all B vitamins need each other in order to work properly. Zinc needs to be taken with a multi-vitamin and multi-mineral daily and especially needs Vitamin A and copper in order to work properly. Zinc also works alot better when taken with Evening Primrose Oil. The point is that there are so many factors that depend on whether supplements work.

I think that if more people were educated about the supplements they take, they would see alot better results. I also think that doctors are for the most part ignorant as to how supplements should be taken together. Because of this, I think supplements get a bad rap. They are very beneficial if they are taken properly and one needs to educate themselves before considering starting a vitamin regimen. It's not an easy task though. I am still learning after years of taking supplements. I recently learned that Borage Oil needs to be taken with Lecithin in order to be beneficial. It's a continuing process.

Thats my 2 cents for what its worth. Lorrie

i tried zinc before, for me it didn't work. but my acne was kind of bad (cystic) i never tried b5 though, apperently that's really good for acne if you take enough.

Sometimes it takes a LONG LONG time for something to be proven at least in the way of being generally accepted by society and the medical industry. Someone told me that way back when taking vitamin C supplements was thought of as new age-y nonsense by a lot of people and now all doctors recommed it to help fight colds and for immunity.

You should just try different things and see what helps you. If something helps you, YOU are all the proof you need.

yes they do learn something from all that schooling and training

what they learn is that the money is in treatment instead of prevention, so keep feeding the patient half-assed treatments that will cost them hundreds of dollars

dermatology is a business like the rest of medical practices

A study done with test subjects taking 150mg of Zinc/day showed 87% improvement in their acne. I have read alot about the benefits of taking Zinc and other supplements for acne. The problem is that most people dont know that almost all supplements depend on other supplements in order to be absorbed properly. Like B-5 has to be taken with a B-complex because all B vitamins need each other in order to work properly. Zinc needs to be taken with a multi-vitamin and multi-mineral daily and especially needs Vitamin A and copper in order to work properly. Zinc also works alot better when taken with Evening Primrose Oil. The point is that there are so many factors that depend on whether supplements work.

I think that if more people were educated about the supplements they take, they would see alot better results. I also think that doctors are for the most part ignorant as to how supplements should be taken together. Because of this, I think supplements get a bad rap. They are very beneficial if they are taken properly and one needs to educate themselves before considering starting a vitamin regimen. It's not an easy task though. I am still learning after years of taking supplements. I recently learned that Borage Oil needs to be taken with Lecithin in order to be beneficial. It's a continuing process.

I'm not surprised. Mainstream doctors are trained to only recommend those things which have been scientifically proven or tested to work. To recommend things that haven't been proven to work would leave them much more open to liability, and in this quick-to-sue age, no doctor wants to put his reputation on the line. The gold standard for scientific testing is double-blind placebo controlled tests.

Most of the "tests" done with nutritional supplements aren't done officially enough for mainstream medicine to recognize them.

That's generally why you will only find Naturopathic doctors recommend supplements.

Some of these things have been proven and then ignored. Like with Vitamin C needs. In addition to the most famous proponent, Linus Pauling, there was another doctor in the 40s who successfully treated people for polio and influenza with Vitamin C. But about that time the polio vaccine was developed and this guy's work was ignored.

And Dr. Atkins and a few other doctors have treated many illnesses with diet and nutritional supplements for which other doctors prescribe harmful prescription drugs.

Anyway, other than identifying a food trigger years ago, the first thing that ever helped me was zinc and Saw palmetto which I took along with an ordinary multi and 1-2 grams of vitamin C. Not one thing 15 years of dermatologist ever did or prescribed helped. And that includes accutane.

Thanks Lorrie! That was a VERY informative post--just what I was looking for. I have spent quite a bit of time doing research on supplements but I haven't found anything as straightforward as what you said so far.

This makes sense considering that some supplements seem to work for some and not all. I'm curious to try copper and zinc....that is if i can fit it all in my pill-laden belly :)

As for everyone else....I agree that dermatologists cannot be always trusted as authorities...like shrinks and all the other doctors, they're just out to make a referral or fill a prescription. (i have a friend who went to the gyno and the dr. tried to prescribe antidepressants!!!! imagine!)

and whoever asked for the article, sorry but it's in an article of Oprah at the gym. Also, i think it's popular consenses that many of us distrust derms in general (otherwise we wouldn't be here!) so if anyone else has something informative about suppmenets and their interactions with each other im sure all of us would appreciate it!

Thanks Lorrie! That was a VERY informative post--just what I was looking for. I have spent quite a bit of time doing research on supplements but I haven't found anything as straightforward as what you said so far.

This makes sense considering that some supplements seem to work for some and not all. I'm curious to try copper and zinc....that is if i can fit it all in my pill-laden belly :)

As for everyone else....I agree that dermatologists cannot be always trusted as authorities...like shrinks and all the other doctors, they're just out to make a referral or fill a prescription. (i have a friend who went to the gyno and the dr. tried to prescribe antidepressants!!!! imagine!)

and whoever asked for the article, sorry but it's in an article of Oprah at the gym. Also, i think it's popular consenses that many of us distrust derms in general (otherwise we wouldn't be here!) so if anyone else has something informative about suppmenets and their interactions with each other im sure all of us would appreciate it!

I also take green tea, fish oil, vit. a, vit. e, and the most recent addition, evening primrose oil, which I'm still puzzled over how to take because people say it has bad epa or something like that.

Start a thread on this because one of the posters seems to be pretty knowledgable about EPA's and DHA's and I am sure he would respond to it. His name is xxndnromeoxx. I think it has something to do with the ratio's of Omega3's and Omega6's but I am not positive. I would be interested in the answer also. Lorrie

lol yes they work, NATURAL ONES WORK. Take natural vitamin E, with cod liver oil and i gurantee u within 1 hour u will see a difference in ur skin and hair. Also cod liver oil is high in vitamin A and D the natural A and D which both help acne and prevent excess inflammation in the body. People dont know that what u eat makes a difference in how u look. Most girls can get away with eating unhealthy because they just use make up but most people who eat unhealthy have a proinflammtory look. If u begin to eat healthy and see urself u will know what im talking about.