Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I was prescribed Benzaclin and Retin-A back in June of last year.. and like an idiot I freaked out about the BP and the bleaching of all of my items. (I had a horrible experience with that in the past.) Anyhow, periodically I'd use the samples of Retin-A I got (very infrequent) but over the last couple of weeks I have the WORST acne I've had my whole life. I've always had extremely oily skin and I know my glands are pumping oil in mass amounts. I'm not even going to try to understand at this point what the problem is.. I've dealt with adult acne now for almost 10 years (I'm now 36.) So.. long story short... I went ahead and filled the scripts last night for the Retin-A and Benzaclin... I am supposed to do the Retin-A at night and the Benzaclin in the morning. I'm terrified of how I'm going to look in a week from now.... I've got a big engagement coming up Friday April 6th.. it will be at night.. so maybe I can hide a little, but I'm sooo scared that my face is going to look like a monster and that I'll have to cancel my plans. Any advice?? :redface:

Guest Taoro fo Kasoro
I was prescribed Benzaclin and Retin-A back in June of last year.. and like an idiot I freaked out about the BP and the bleaching of all of my items. (I had a horrible experience with that in the past.) Anyhow, periodically I'd use the samples of Retin-A I got (very infrequent) but over the last couple of weeks I have the WORST acne I've had my whole life. I've always had extremely oily skin and I know my glands are pumping oil in mass amounts. I'm not even going to try to understand at this point what the problem is.. I've dealt with adult acne now for almost 10 years (I'm now 36.) So.. long story short... I went ahead and filled the scripts last night for the Retin-A and Benzaclin... I am supposed to do the Retin-A at night and the Benzaclin in the morning. I'm terrified of how I'm going to look in a week from now.... I've got a big engagement coming up Friday April 6th.. it will be at night.. so maybe I can hide a little, but I'm sooo scared that my face is going to look like a monster and that I'll have to cancel my plans. Any advice?? :redface:

That combo killed my skin and made it feel like leather for a few days. If your going to try it, make sure you start slow, and use a pea sized amount of Retin-A like recomended. That combo might make your skin super dry, so maybe have a moisturizer handy. I know its not something you would usually think about because you have oily skin, but it will help reduce irritation thus less breakouts if you get the right kind (one that doesnt break you out). Anyway, good luck!

Thanks, Taoro! Here's what I'm doing...

A.M. Wash with mild cleanser (any good suggestions?)

Apply Benzaclin

Apply Moisturizer (again need a good suggestion)

For the cleanser and moisturizer I am currently using a foaming cleanser and soothing moisturizer I rec'd in my sample of tretinoin (Tretin X) but I won't have the cleanser and moisturizer much longer because I'll be out soon and my derm. didn't prescribe the actual Tretin X brand..

P.M. Wash with cleanser

Apply Retin-A

My derm. told me not to moisturize after that.. ????

I think I'm going to do the Retin-A every other night.. it is the low dosage 0.025 but I don't want to take any chances of even more problems than I have right now.. in fact, my face REALLY looks bad today! I'm pretty embarrassed abou it! :doubt:

Guest Taoro fo Kasoro

Apply Benzaclin

For the cleanser and moisturizer I am currently using a foaming cleanser and soothing moisturizer I rec'd in my sample of tretinoin (Tretin X) but I won't have the cleanser and moisturizer much longer because I'll be out soon and my derm. didn't prescribe the actual Tretin X brand..

P.M. Wash with cleanser

Apply Retin-A

I think I'm going to do the Retin-A every other night.. it is the low dosage 0.025 but I don't want to take any chances of even more problems than I have right now.. in fact, my face REALLY looks bad today! I'm pretty embarrassed abou it! :doubt:

For a cleanser you could try something like this

http://www.amazon.com/Neutrogena-Fresh-Foa...e/dp/B000FKHNFA

Pump cleansers are usually less drying than bars, and you dont really need anything extra in it.

For moisturizer I use

http://eucerinus.com/products/hb_calming.html

And you can use moisturizer after Retin-A, but you need to wait about 30+ minutes for it to absorb into your skin. After that and it feels dry, you can apply it. Ive been using the moisturizer above after Retin-A for about two months with positive results. Actually, if I dont moisturize, my face get irritated because of the dryness, and I breakout more. But, I did go on accutane, so I have increased dryness, and it may be different for you. If your skin feels comfortable after applying Retin-A then you probably dont need to moisturize after it. Just try and listen to your skin and do what you feel it needs. Remember moisturizer wont hurt it though.

Also, using Retin-A every other night is fine, and you can eventually work up to every night when your skin gets used to it. Maybe after a week or two.

Apply Benzaclin

P.M. Wash with cleanser

Apply Retin-A

Pump cleansers are usually less drying than bars, and you dont really need anything extra in it.

For moisturizer I use

And you can use moisturizer after Retin-A, but you need to wait about 30+ minutes for it to absorb into your skin. After that and it feels dry, you can apply it. Ive been using the moisturizer above after Retin-A for about two months with positive results. Actually, if I dont moisturize, my face get irritated because of the dryness, and I breakout more. But, I did go on accutane, so I have increased dryness, and it may be different for you. If your skin feels comfortable after applying Retin-A then you probably dont need to moisturize after it. Just try and listen to your skin and do what you feel it needs. Remember moisturizer wont hurt it though.

Also, using Retin-A every other night is fine, and you can eventually work up to every night when your skin gets used to it. Maybe after a week or two.

I TRULY appreciate your help... one thing that I love is after I wash my face at night before I use the Retin-A my face is it's usual dry on the surface.. flakey... but when I apply the Retin-A it's almost like it soothes it and it's not visibly dry like that anymore. Hmm? Anyway, thank you SO much! Anyone else that has advice please please share!!!

Guest Taoro fo Kasoro

Apply Benzaclin

P.M. Wash with cleanser

Apply Retin-A

For moisturizer I use

I TRULY appreciate your help... one thing that I love is after I wash my face at night before I use the Retin-A my face is it's usual dry on the surface.. flakey... but when I apply the Retin-A it's almost like it soothes it and it's not visibly dry like that anymore. Hmm? Anyway, thank you SO much! Anyone else that has advice please please share!!!

Glad I could help! :D

And yeah as long as it feels comfortable like that your fine. Back before I started tane' I used Retin-A and my skin felt like that as well. Just good to keep it handy :).