Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sverd

I'm a guy, I want make up

I'm a guy with red marks on my face from acne and it makes me feel ugly. I've always been jealous of girls who can hide their acne with make up so now I've decided to do the same. The problem is that I have no clue what type of make up to get or how to look. Can anyone give advice on makeup that isn't noticable but does hide red marks?

I always recommend MAC Studio Finish concealer with a concealer brush (MAC 194 brush, but obviously you don't have to use MAC). Three of my co-workers at MAC are male and they all swear by this concealer. A lot of men use makeup to cover skin imperfections. If you want to try something else, Amazing Cosmetics concealer is literally the holy grail of concealers. Very concentrated, very blendable, very natural looking. And very expensive, I think it's $40. But to me it is totally worth it. You can order it from Sephora.

If you have access to a MAC store or counter in a department store (Macy's, Nordstrom, Dillards), I would recommend stopping by even if you don't want to use the products. Many men work as makeup artists for MAC and many men use MAC products, so most artists at MAC are very helpful when it comes to men using cosmetics. So even if you just want to ask some questions, they will most likely be able to give you some advice.

I don't know that to recommend for drug store cosmetics since I haven't used them in so long.

Have you ever heard of mineral makeup? Its a loose powder, but offers great coverage. And the best thing is that it looks 100% natural, whilst covering redmarks. I have stubborn red marks and it does a great job in covering them as well as active acne. You have to invest in a good brugh though. There are alot of mineral makeup available online and drugstores. Physicians Formula and Loreal mineral makeup are available in drugstores. but i use www.everydayminerals.com which is only available online :D

Hey hun, what kind of coverage are you looking for? Light, medium, or heavy? And would you like a liquid foundation, cream type foundation, or a powder? =]

Mac broke me out horribly. Does it tend to do that or is it only me?

People tend to have a love/hate relationship with MAC. A MAC foundation either works for you or it doesn't. There are many different formulations. I've been working for MAC for about 2 years and I was so hesitant to use any of the foundation because I had heard so many horrible things about it for people with acne-prone skin. I've used MAC since I was 15 years old but never went close to the foundations. But I started wearing Studio Fix and it did not break me out at all. Not once did I have a problem with it. Now I rotate between MAC Studio Fix and Clinique Clarifying Makeup Clear Skin formula. The Clinique foundation is not as thick as the Studio Fix. And it's the only Clinique product I've ever liked. Generally I hate Clinique.

And it's only obvious that a guy is wearing makeup when it is not correctly applied. Most of the guys that work at MAC use Studio Finish concealer and Blot Powder and their skin looks absolutely flawless, and I know that their skin is FAR from flawless.

Another good thing about buying a concealer from a department store counter (like MAC, Lancome, Bobbi Brown, Clinique, etc) is that you can try the concealer before you buy it so that you can be absolutely sure that you have the correct shade AND you can return the concealer if you don't like it or it makes you break out. Just save the receipt and the box.

Hey hun, what kind of coverage are you looking for? Light, medium, or heavy? And would you like a liquid foundation, cream type foundation, or a powder? =]

Do you want to use a foundation, which is used all over your face, or a concealer which is used only on specific spots?

Dolph,

I agree. Girls shouldn't be the only ones using makeup :)

As for choosing liquid, cream or powder you should consider what coverage you are looking for, and what your skin type is.

If you have oily skin you should go with a powder.

If you have dry skin choose a liquid.

Powders provide sheer to medium coverage.

Liquids provide medium to full coverage.

Generally, cream foundations are the most versatile. They can work for you if you have dry or oily skin and its coverage can range from sheer to full. Cream foundations are thick and easy to play with. You're allowed to apply more on spots that need more coverage and skim areas that you don't think need much coverage. With liquid or powder foundations, you don't get the chance to play around like this. You pretty much apply one coat of the foundation over your face and thats the coverage you get.

You should go to a cosmetics counter and ask a sales agent what type is best for your skin. If you choose liquid and you have oily skin your face can turn out like a sheeny oil slick. If your skin is dry and you put powder, your face might look chalky (think old lady makeup).

If you're concerned about redness, you can get a redness neutralizer which is like a green concealer. It neutralizes the redness so your spots become more grey-ish. But if you're looking for coverage, go with concealers/foundations. some people use foundation after they use a neutralizer.

Its important to get the right shade because I know how it is to get pointed out that you are wearing makeup (especially for a guy). Get custom matched, don't choose the shade yourself. Normally if you go to makeup counters, they have good return policies. The deal is if your match does not match you (they made a mistake), you'll get your money back.

That's not necessarily correct. Liquid foundation isn't always bad for oily skin. Cream-based foundation is usually very thick and can be very noticeable if it isn't applied correctly. There are many liquid foundation that are designed for oily skin. Liquid foundations are normally buildable, so you can increase the amount of coverage whenever you need.

If you buy your makeup from a makeup counter at a department store or a free standing store (like MAC), you can return the makeup regardless of whether or not it matches your skin. It doesn't have anything to do with the sales associate making a mistake. I've used foundations for two weeks and returned them because they make me break out.

Stay away from MAC people , check the ingredients if you want more proofs to how much its harsh for acne prone skin.

Stay away from MAC people , check the ingredients if you want more proofs to how much its harsh for acne prone skin.