Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

First of all, let me introduce myself. I'm Ray, 20 year old, a second year university student. My life went downhill since the beginning of 2007.

After 3 months of struggle with acne. I finally gave up on all the creams and Doxy I'm using. My dermatologist suggested me to go on Accutane soon before more possible scarrings. Unfortunately, I have a large patch of brown marks and scars formed on my right cheek already, and some healed acnes left so many brown marks around my cheeks. :( I'm sad to look into the mirror. Why did this happen to me? 4 months ago I had totally clear skin. I got one or two pimples sometime, but not like the explosive breakout I'm having:(

Actually, I consider my acnes have calmed down a bit, but there are still one or two pimples break out around every day or every other day. I told myself to not useing Accutane and stick with the creams, but i guess I should give it a try, because I'm really upset about my face.

I went to Shoppers Drug Mart right after I saw the dermatologist to see if my student medical insurance plan would cover the cost or not. Fortunately it worked!!! I only need to make a 11 dollars copayment and 6 dollars whatever fee. It's awesome that I don't need to spend over 200 dollars a month on these pills.

The generic Accutane were sold out, so I got the branded one. Are they the same?

The nice pharmacist gave me a lot of recommendations on the lip balms and eye drops I should prepare for the dryness. I will get them once they start, because I don't want to throw away my chapstick haahaa.

My friends and I went to walk around Queen St.. I forgot about my unpleasant looking face at that moment and went to stores checked out clothes like normal. I'm guy and I don't really like shopping, but I really need some new clothes for the warmer weather... It was good to walk in the warm breath on a sunny day. I didn't really mind what other ppl would think about my face, because I hoped my face will clear up after 4 months of treatment!!!

I took my first pill after my dinner at a Chinese restaurant. I had an interesting feeling. It was like an adventure was about to begin. Who knows what I will go through during my course. Next term will be tough since all the courses I will take are 2B or 3A level... and I need to come to Toronto from Waterloo every four weeks to see the dermatologist.

Oh, I think I need to mention my dosage. I'm currently on 40mgX2 a day (80 mg a day) for the first month. My dermatologist seems to like prescribing a higher dosage for 4 months. I hope the dosage is ok for my body.

The log will keep track of everything that wil happen during the treatment. I also with my experience will give more people who will be on Accutane some ideas about how the drug work.

So, ladies and gentlemen, let the battle begin.

Day 1

I took my 2nd yellow capsule after my simple breakfast @ work. My breakfast was just milk+cereals (this one has mutivitamin, and it contails 25% of Vitmin A. I think I might need to get new cereals from now on) and bagel with strawberry cream cheese.

Nothing so far lol I doubt there will be improvements or IB or side effects after only 2 capsules.

But I feel my lips are kind of dry, haahaa, I think it's because I had a lot of food at lunch today. My department had a free lunch with chicken /pork souvlaki, rice, potatoes and salads. My manages kept asking me to have more, because I'm a young student and they thought young kids need more food. The food was good, but oily :S. One of my coworkers is leaving, so she bought 3 kinds of cake for us. I had too much sweets . In the afternoon, my managers bought a huge cake for her, so I had more cakes!!! Right now I feel soo thirsty! I need water lol

The good thing is I don't need to make much food for dinner, since Ive got too much food already.

I went to a bookstore after work. When I looked into the mirrors @ the book store, my acnes and brown mark patch looked so obvious in the dim light. I suddently felt really upset. I had new pimples around my mouth and cheek areas. And the marks that left seem to never fade away! I really wanna try the AHA thing to reduce the marks, but my dermatologist told me not to use any cream during the course. It really made me sad. It's like a nightmare!!! My face just got ruined in the past 3 months!!! There are scars under my cheekbone areas already, and the colors are dark. *sigh* I look like having dusts on my face.

Well.I guess I just need to be patient. Time heals wounds.

Plan for tmr, probably I will go and get a new lipbalm and Aloe Vera gel for the red marks. What kind of Aloe Vera gel should I get? I saw one that's for moisturising and subburn, will it work? I didnt see any natural pure aloe vera gel at the store. Give me some suggestions please.

Hi!

Congrats on getting started!

It sucks how our skin almost controls our lives, feelings and self worth but something tells me that we are both going to feel SO much better once our courses are finished.

I haven't started yet but I'm hoping to by next Sat. Thanks to iPledge I have to wait. :(

My derm also perscribed me 40mg twice a day for 5 months which is pretty high since I'm only 5'5 1/2 and 140ish lbs but I trust him.

Anyways, regarding Aloe Vera Gel....

I bought some made by Fruit of the Earth. Its 100% and I think that should be the only kind you try on your face. Also do a small patch test a few times before smearing it all over. Some, not alot, but some people have had problems with it.

If you want, check out my log and in todays entry I mention Sudocrem. There is a link to a 27 page discussion on it and it's what I'm planning on using some nights during my course to help with the redness.

I used it last night and I think it will work perfect with Accutane.

Good luck!

Hi!

Congrats on getting started!

It sucks how our skin almost controls our lives, feelings and self worth but something tells me that we are both going to feel SO much better once our courses are finished.

I haven't started yet but I'm hoping to by next Sat. Thanks to iPledge I have to wait. :(

My derm also perscribed me 40mg twice a day for 5 months which is pretty high since I'm only 5'5 1/2 and 140ish lbs but I trust him.

Anyways, regarding Aloe Vera Gel....

I bought some made by Fruit of the Earth. Its 100% and I think that should be the only kind you try on your face. Also do a small patch test a few times before smearing it all over. Some, not alot, but some people have had problems with it.

If you want, check out my log and in todays entry I mention Sudocrem. There is a link to a 27 page discussion on it and it's what I'm planning on using some nights during my course to help with the redness.

I used it last night and I think it will work perfect with Accutane.

Good luck!

thank you so much for your suggestions. I think I will need to have a run to Shopper's to get a whole bunch of stuff :P

It made me feel better to see there are people who are fighting with me :)

Hey Rice Ball,

I got your message on my log and I just wanted to clarify that the Sudocrem I'm using is suppose to help with my red marks. :)

Yes, it's made idealy for diaper rashes but when I got my tub their was a list of other things you can use it for, one being Acne.

Here's the link all about how people here on acne.org are using and having success with it, check it out:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=131969

Also, what was the talk about an AHA? I wouldn't recommend using that during your Tane course at all! Owie!

Well, hope you're having a good Tane Day!

Day 2

I don't expect to see any improvements or worsen acnes on the second day of the course.

New pimples still breaking out...

My lips felt kind of dry, but bemay its from my subconscious. I went to buy a Cetephil moisturisor, a lipbalm and a vaseline. The Cetephil moisturisor was on sale ^__^ I saved like 7 dollars. My friend who had been on accutane recommanded me to use Cepaphil because it's a great product to sooth the dry skin during the treatment. My old roommate who is currently on accutane suggested me to get vaselin to use at night, because the lips will get really dry for sure!

I actually went shopping! woohoo! But i didnt get anything. its hard for me to get something that fit :S Why the clothes look so great on the mannequins? haahaa

After dinner, my friend and I went to see TMNT. It's one of my childhood favourite cartoons! The movie was not long, and the plot was just so so, but I enjoyed it. I think it's a movie more for kids, cuz there were so many kids in the theatre. I felt out of place lol

My face feels burning rite now..emm probably its because I'm tired.

Gahhh.....I tried to schedule my exam at a test center in my city, but there are even no seats left in any test centers in my province!!!! WHAT THE HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Day 3 and Day 4

Everything is normal so far. No dryness, no headache, no side effects yet.

Is it ok to take my capsules right after meals? or should I wait for like an hour? I sometime take the capsules with pure soy bean milk? Is it ok? I'm also taking Green Tea Extract as an antioxidand. From what I read online, Chinese medicine use Green Tea as a treatment of acne, so I hope this can speed up the healing process.

I think I shouldn't keep track of everyday during the treatment, it will only make me feel time goes slower. Like what my friend told me last night, I need to ignore my pimples. Other people dont really mind if you are still the person who is kind and outgoing. Thanks for the encouragement :P

You may think that you are the unlucky one and blame your fate. Everyone has problem, they may not appear on your face, but they are hidden deeply. My friend told me he had Hyperthermia last year. I didn't even notice it!!! It's an embarrasing problem because he sweats so much that even soaked his shirts and sweater. Imagining the area under your armpits have sweat stain all the time. But it went away...

To be honest, I think having acne is much luckier than the people with physical or psychological disabilities. There are solutions to acnes but there are no solutions for a person without an arm or leg. I know it is still really hard to accept your own skin, but it will be really sad if your skin problem takes over your life and miss the whole lot of opportunities. Hey, pizza face can still enjoy the life we deserve. :)

I will try to stay optimistic. let the stupid and ignorant people point at you and laugh at you. They don't worth to give a damn.

We are all strong fighters, aren't we?

-------

When I went shopping yesterday, I was aiming for getting a new shirt and a new jacket. It turn out that I got a new pair of shoes instead. :X

It looks interesting, with skulls patterns all over it. It certainlly not my style, but it's cool to try something and it only costs 49.99+tax. It's nike, so I think this price is relatively cheap.

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/str...titled-1119.jpg

But I'm sure it's even cheaper on eBay.

Never seen anything like those. Pretty cool IMO.

Good luck on your course bro

thx and they were on sale! haahaa

Heya Riceball

Side effects probably wont kick in maybe week 2... but everyone is different.

Man... having trouble asking someone to go watch TMNT with me... everyone i asked is gave me that weird look and said "narhhh man" hahaha i guess ill be alone in the cinema then.

Nice shoe man... hectic stuff...

Takecare!!

Day 5

I think my lips start to feel dry now.Thanks to my lipbalm and vaseline, the dryness is not terrible.

Some little bumps on my Tzone area start to get red and bigger :( They've been just some small colorless bumps, but I have a feeling that they will form new pimples on my most visable part of my face. Is this a sign of IB? Haha, it's funny that a little change will be mentally related to IB or side effects.

On my way to work this morning, I stopped by Rexall to look for Sudocrem. They were located at the baby care and diaper section, 7.99 Canadian dollars. I was thinking to go to Shoppers, since I have the Optimum card, but I didn't find it @ Shoppers, so I walked back to Rexall after work.

I put a bunch of white cream all over my face to see if it will irrate my skin. I will wash them off immediately if I feel any uncomforts.

Question, do i really have to moisturise my skin before putting on Sudocrem? I think this cream is "oily" enough to moisturise my entire face.

Hello... I'm currently on day 4... nice to see other people going through the same thing as me. Good luck... we'll have awesome skin in 4 months (I'm 60 mg/day).

Question, do i really have to moisturise my skin before putting on Sudocrem? I think this cream is "oily" enough to moisturise my entire face.

Yes, you should still moisturize. Sudocrem has a oily like texture but it can also be drying after continuous use.

Plus on Accutane I don't think there is such a thing as OVER moisturizing.

Day 6

Still don't have major improvements... :S but my lips are dry!!! I have to keep using my lipbalm. The dry layer of my lips are so uncomfortable...I think I will have to bear with it in the next 4 months.

Some pimples became bigger... but some got flat. Maybe it's because of the Sudocrem I've been using for 2 days?

I forgot to bring Tane to work today, so I didn't take my pill untill 6 oclock. I don't plan to take another one tonight.

My skin is still [email protected][email protected] gahh... It's intereting that Tane either makes ppl dry up in the first few days, or make them oily.

Question: Should I still use my Biore skin toner during the tane treatment? will it cause irratation to the skin?

Hello... I'm currently on day 4... nice to see other people going through the same thing as me. Good luck... we'll have awesome skin in 4 months (I'm 60 mg/day).

Day 7

It has been a week.

So far my lips are dry, but my face is oily, especially the areas beside on nose.

I keep breaking out. :(The nodules beside my mouth and on the back of my jawline hurt so much!!! Hope there will be gone soon, usually it takes 4 weeks to go down and leave a large brown dents :(. I also think my face is a bit redder than before :S

I have got scars on the areas below cheek bones already... *sigh*

My acnes itches and stings!!! The little booklet came with accutane says its normal to feel itchiness and stingy feeling in the frist few week..so...i will just need to bear with it.

It's sad to look into mirror, especially in the fluorescent lights.

Currently I'm applying sudocrem twice a day. I first apply it around 6pm. Then wash it off in shower, apply it again around 11:30pm till the next morning. It's really greasy.

--------------------------------------------------

How should I be patient?????????? ???????????? ????????????????????????????????

dont worry about it man. I know its hard but really dont worry. Wake up every day knowing that 5 months from now you WONT be in the same situation, your acne will be gone and hopefully it will not come back . Accutane isnt easy, but it will be worth it. Just keep that in mind and it will help you stay happy.

Hey Riceman

I wouldnt say those are scars just yet... they might look like it.. but when u finish the course some of them would dissappear... even better, all of them will.

Yeh i say the oily parts will be dry in a few days... i dont know why but alot of people experience that... on the exact day... like day 7... i had it.. i think day 9-10 i was dry like i dont know... paper.

Man.. i also have breakout round about week 1 and week 2, little on the cheeks and mainly below my jawline. itchey, i think because of dryness in that area... u might get a little rash here and there... usually goes away in a few hours or days (depending if u scatch it or not).

Anyways... got class in an hour... got to go... takecare!!

Day 8

8 is one of my favourite numbers :)

My lips are still dry, but it's still manageable by my lipbalm and vaseline. Vaseline is amazing!! but I can't put it on in the moring, you don't want to see a guy with glowiing lips, do you . haahaa.

I think my skin is less oily today ^_^

The big cyst (i think it's a bunch of pimples clustered together) on the right side of my mouth hurt!!! when everytime i laugh , it stings :( It's so red and I can defenitely see some little bumps on the swelling big one. Hope they will come to a head soon...

I accidentally popped 2 or 3 whiteheads when I was washing my face...:( so i only squeezed out the white puss but I didn't keep squeezing them because I was worry about scarring.

There are 4 or 5 little whiteheads on my cheeks...they are not really visable and have little white heads. Hope they don't get too big plz *finger crossed*.

Some red bumps come to heads now. My cheek areas are still pretty red.

Other than these, no other uncomfortable feeling.

If you wanna see my current condition, go check out my acne journey album.

And thank you all for your support :)

I get to sleep in tmr! woohoo! BUt I have my stupid work report to do....:(. I hate bsing, but I have no choice but to do so.

:surprised: Hey there pal! I am so happy that there is a community of people that are all going through the EXACT same thing and supporting eachother. Thank you for sharing you experiences. Life is such an amazing, expansive and wonderful exploration and it is really hard to have a damper put on it - like acne. I am on my 24th day of Claravis (Accutane generic brand) and am a college student in Minnesota with a very low budget and relatively bad insurance situation but it has worked out well so far.

All that I have to say for you now is that I am completely oil free - I guess that is a short-term perk to look forward to. Other than that, we are all here for you and 5 months or so is so insignificant on a grand scale, it will be over before you know it.

Have an excellent night all,

E

:surprised: Hey there pal! I am so happy that there is a community of people that are all going through the EXACT same thing and supporting eachother. Thank you for sharing you experiences. Life is such an amazing, expansive and wonderful exploration and it is really hard to have a damper put on it - like acne. I am on my 24th day of Claravis (Accutane generic brand) and am a college student in Minnesota with a very low budget and relatively bad insurance situation but it has worked out well so far.

All that I have to say for you now is that I am completely oil free - I guess that is a short-term perk to look forward to. Other than that, we are all here for you and 5 months or so is so insignificant on a grand scale, it will be over before you know it.

Have an excellent night all,

E

thank you :)

I'm really glad that my student medical insurance covers most of the costs!!! and it's free to visit a derm. since I have the Ontario Health Insurance Plan. It' a matter of time I know. Got to be STRONG ^__^

U should wirte a journal as well :P

PS: any idea on how to reduce he pain of cysts??? it hurt so much after shower? I will probably try icing these fu(beep)ers tmr XD

Sup riceball. Good log. I like your first post. I felt the same way when i poped my first pill as well. Hey i was wondering have you noticed any redness or flushing of your face since you started? about on my third day i got a bit pink and now its kinda redish and when i workout it gets pritty hot and red. Just wondering if others are getting the same. Hey we started tane allmost the same time. Good luck on your journey to happy skin!

Day 9

Time passes slowly. This is really a test of my patience.

Lips are still dry. I put vaseline on before i went out this afternoon. Screw those ppl who thought I was wearing lip gloss. My selfconsciousness made me think whoever looked at me was staring at my nasty pimples. I subconsciously only looked for the seats at the corner in the subway train and lowed down my head wih my headphone on. Loud music acted like tranquilizer which temporarily numbed me

Besides the relatively smaller bumps, I have 4 really big painful cysts. The largest and most painful one is beside my mouth on the right side of my face. The new one that got bigger over night is in between of my right ear and cheek bone (its hidden under my hair). The third one which is getting bigger is on my left jaw. The least painful one is healing, but still pig which is on my left cheek.

Whiteheads are indulging themselves on my poor face.I don't understand how I suddently got these many during the past 3 months??? I know my homore got messed up during my final exam weeks and probably some emotional issues i had last term aggravated my acnes. But after all these months, my homorne should be calmed down , therefore these acnes should be gone as well! but why? why they still keep coming?? why? why they got so bad in only 3 months??? This is so confusing!!!!

My skin is not oily today. so the bumps look even more shining than b4!

Another update is my gum of the front tooth is inflammed and swelled. I don't know if this is caused by acctane, because my gum swelled sometime.

When I were at the Italian buffet, I was so seduced by the seafood. I couldnt hold myself so I had some salmon and shrimps. My friends stopped me because they knew seafood will irrate my skin. How considerable they are. hehe.

----------

I still made no progress on my work report =_=... anime distracted me today.

Sup riceball. Good log. I like your first post. I felt the same way when i poped my first pill as well. Hey i was wondering have you noticed any redness or flushing of your face since you started? about on my third day i got a bit pink and now its kinda redish and when i workout it gets pritty hot and red. Just wondering if others are getting the same. Hey we started tane allmost the same time. Good luck on your journey to happy skin!

hey!

I dont recall any redness that happenedto my face in the first 2 days. But I felt my face turned redder in the 3 or 4th day. I felt like there were steam under my facial skin that need to be released, because my face got really hot :S U have experienced the same I guess.

but that only lasted for 2 days at most? I tend to get a red , hot face when I get tired and need to sleep, so I dont know if what i experienced is related to accutane or not.

Good luck to u know. Arent u curious to know what kind of things will happen during ur treatment? Just be prepared for the worst.