Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
InRepair

How do I choose the right tone?

I'm looking into buying some new make up. The only thing I ever use is eye stuff but I'm getting tired of these red marks. I want to find the right match but I don't know how, or the best way to find out.

I'm looking into getting samples from Aubrey Nicole and Everyday Minerals, do you guys have any suggestions into what ones I should get first and what is the best match for me?

I have to think though that mineral make up is not good for people who have breakouts already, I don't have that many right now, maybe one or two pimples but doesn't mineral make up enhance everything? I don't know its why I'm asking, if it does, is there any make up that covers really well but doesn't make it obvious you have breakouts?

I hear green concealer is really good for red marks any suggestion on what kind I should get, and also I'm REALLY bad at picking out brushes and people here have suggested all kinds of good ones but I just am clueless as to which is the best for each make up, like foundation, concealer, eye make up..etc.

Thanks for the help guys

If you go on the AN site and send them an email through the contact us form and send them a photo, they will suggest shades for you.

Also, mineral makeup is especially good for people with breakouts actually. It is so much better for your skin than liquid and once you start using it will probably see a huge difference in those breakouts...they'll go away! Mineral Makeup won't enhance anything as long as you use a good moisturizer so that you don't have flakes, etc. Buffing the powders onto your skin will look natural and will improve the look of your skin. As far as the green concealer, CherryBunny is the expert around here on the green concealer. I know she uses it and really likes it. She can tell you more about it and how to use it.

As far as brushes, everyone has their favorites, but I think the AN premium kabuki is the BOMB! It's an awesome brush. I also just ordered the flat top buffer brush, which I heard has great coverage too. I use a concealer brush and I love the AN blush brush. Just make sure you use good quality (you don't have to pay alot) brushes that are soft on your skin and dense so they provide good coverage. Good luck.

Heather

I don't think that mineral makeup enhances breakouts. It depends on the brand & formula however. If you have current acne, then you want a matte finish & heavier coverage. I hear AN is supposed to have good coverage, and for EM I recommend the intensive formula.

With green concealer, you have to blend really well & cover it really well for it not to look bad. In my experience, it ends up being cakey & highlighting a zit more cuz there's so many layers.

I think a skin tone concealer is best or just a good coverage foundation.

As for brushes, the most important is your kabuki if you use MMU. I personally like good quality animal hair (ie. sable), but other people prefer synthetic. You want one that is soft & smooth, but tightly packed for an even coverage. For concealer, you want a much smaller brush. They make concealer brushes, and I find that ones made for eyeshadow work just as well.

Edit: I also really prefer a flat top brushed to a dome shape. I feel like coverage is more even that way.

As for skin tone, this article explains it pretty well:

" Observe the color of your nail bed or pinch the skin under your arm (or any place the sun never shines). Does the tone tend to appear more reddish-orange, reddish-blue, pinkish-blue, peachy or yellowish? Once that's determined, you'll have a benchmark for your natural tone. The colors that will look most organic against your skin are the colors you find in your skin. Conversely, the colors that will create vibrancy are those that contrast.

In selecting foundation, powder and blush, I urge you to honor your natural skin tone and choose colors that replicate your organic hues. Concerning eye shadow and lip color, it's all decoration as far as I'm concerned, so go for what attracts you. In most cases you will be naturally drawn to colors that flatter you."

Reddish-orange, peachy, & yellow = warm

Reddish-blue & pinkish-blue = cool

Also: green (blue + yellow) = olive or a neutral

Neutrals are good if you have no real dominant tone or a mix of cool & warm colors. Think of a color wheel (blue, purple & green = cool; yellow, orange & red = warm).

That is great advice guys thanks.

I did the pinch thing and actually it didn't really change color it kinda stayed the same. *shrugs*

Well I have some pictures maybe this can help. The first two are from tonight, but I couldn't get any more clear but that shows kinda where I am now.

Here

Here

This one is more brighter and you can see my skin tone better, this one was taken last month.

Here

As you can see I have really really light skin, so I am assuming I would need lighter colors?

Your skin tone looks on the warm side to me (on my monitor), maybe try warm & neutral colors in fair to light shades.

Hey, I thought I would chime in with my experience with Everyday Minerals colours if you feel like giving that company a try (sample pack is free!). The foundation colours on the website seem a tad lighter than they actually appear on your skin. A few of the samples that I thought would be a match were way too dark.

From your pic I would say to sample the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th shade from the lightest but its really hard to tell from the pic whether you are warm, cool or neutral. I will say this though, the warm shade that I sampled was very very warm (orangy/peachy) so unless you are certain you have warm toned skin I think you may have a better match with the neutral or cool choices.

I think that the coverage is great with the intensive formula btw.

The best way to find the right color of foundation is to try them yourself. Each brand classifies their colors differently so it is usually a process of trial and error.

I wouldn't do the green corrector. That was originally made for makeup artists to use on photo and television shoots with high intensity lights and full coverage foundation. Especially the drug store brands are thick and difficult to blend and end up looking caked on...even more so if you touch up your makeup with powder throughout the day.

Also, mineral makeup can contain a lot of bad things for your skin. Don't always assume that because it is labeled as a "mineral makeup" that it is good for your skin.

Well that's why I'm nervous about trying mineral makeup I know from reading people's post here that a lot of people break out from it.

Its not like I would be using it everyday, I don't wear make up at work except just eye make up, I'd probably only use it very seldom.

I'll try some different ones and see, that is the only way I'll know, I got three colors from each so I'll see how that goes. Can you order more then one free sample, or is this the only time I can order a free sample?

I've also heard a lot about Physicians formula, I hear there really good to and I read there good for acne prone skin. Does anyone know anything about there stuff?