Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

i know for a fact that 99% of my acne is exaggerated by my obsessive picking! i spend hours and hours in the bathroom picking at my skin! my arsenal of skin tools included:

3 different blackhead/blemish extractors, 2 sets of tweezers, q-tips, latex gloves and special mirrors! however, if i was especially stressed out i would simply use my fingers to attack every single acne lesion on my face (and chest) and thus causing way more harm than i should have ever inflicted on myself. obsessive skin picking is psychological. i actually become fixated and cannot stop! as silly as it sounds, it relieves a great deal of stress for me! although, the next day when i see the damage i feel very guilty.

recently i prooved to myself that i can have clearer skin if i don't touch my face for a while (for a few days-even better a few weeks). when i first met my guy a few months ago :wub: i was so preoccupied and happy. i spent alot of time at his place and less and less time at my place in front of the mirror picking. within a week of NO picking what-so-ever my face began to clear up dramatically. i was also washing my face only 2X a day when i was with him instead of 3 or 4 times when i was picking (to prevent infection). less frequent washing and no picking REALLY improved my overall complexion-being in love also made me less stressed out!

it is now a month later-

i am STILL in love with my guy :wub: - BUT the picking has resumed. WHY? maybe because it really is an obsession that is too hard to break on my own. i have my own silly anxieties about falling in love and getting hurt (again)-i have alot of stress regarding school (i am a graduate student) and have fallen behind in a few classes this term.

so, this past weekend i really went to town on my face and then proceeded to my chest. i will spare you all the details. consequently i ended up tossing every skin care tool i owned in the trash. however i still need to keep my tweezers or else my eyebrows will sprout all over the place! (and it really doesn't matter how many tools i toss out, i will always have my fingers/nails). however, i read on a skin picking internet info site that a good way to avoid using your nails to pick is to get a manicurist to apply acrylic or silk wrap tips so you can't. (i have had tips before and it really does make it totally impossible to pick your pimples).

going to get LONG nail tips TODAY! (will make me feel a bit more pretty despite my skin).

wowww. i'm sorry.

did you read the article on acne dysmorphia? i think you might have a mildish case :[

but definitely do everything you can to keep from picking. your skin will look sooo much better and you'll have more time, which can reduce stress if you get more stuff done.

also, try throwing out the tweezers and buying some wax instead, or getting your eyebrows professionally done every month.

good luckkk :]

well glad that you seem happy =] except for the skin picking part that is, happiness has to do w/ acne too! u feel better about yourself =] haha you should tell your boyfriend to lock up all your tools and get your bf to make deals with you, like if you don't pick your face for a week, he'll do something for you.

Im sorry to hear about ur problem, good thinkin on throwing away all ur tools, and u should really toss out the tweezers too and instead go for an eyebrow wax like maybe every 2 weeks. They arent too expensive usually like 10 dollars, and it almost feels like pampering with the thought of going to a salon, which i think u need, bc pampering always makes people feel better, and instead of long nails i would just keep them as short as possible and get a new hobby and keep ur hands occupied by panting ur nails and toenails, bc when ur nails are wet u are sure not to touch nothing since u dont want to mess up ur nails. Ill keep thinking of new ideas for you, but i hope this helps. And goodluck with everything and happy to hear about ur relationship.

little labbit,

I am so glad you are sharing your problem... I constantly fight the urge to pick and squeeze face and body acne. Sometimes I look around and wonder if I'm the only one that has this battle. I also feel that stress relief, and also kind of an adrenaline rush while I'm doing it, and like you said, guilt and remorse after the damage is done and it's too late. No matter how bad it looks after I'm done, it isn't enough of a deterrent to stop it from happening again. I know a lot of my scars are the result of this behavior, which does make me think twice now. I try to watch out for stressful situations because it often triggers the attack.

I hope the new nails help you out.

Oh my gosh, you fit me to a T!

I am also a graduate student, so life is very stressful. It is defintely an obsession. If I am not picking, I am THINKING about picking. Plus, every teeny little thing on my face looks SO bad to me, even though I know it's not.

I have been trying to control the anxiety through medication (Effexor) as well as covering up my spots so I am less likely to pick.

I would seek some psychiatric intervention...and I don't mean that to sound as negative as it does, lol. Graduate school is bad enough without stressing about skin on top of that. You would be amazed how much it helps.

:)

No picking = no acne.

Spend a week with no picking (although its a tough road just think of the unfortunate people in the world with worse problems..) The time when you don't pick you will notice facial clearing as well as a boost of self esteem when you realize not all people are staring at the acne but give you credit for not picking and being obsessed with yourself.

No picking = they think you don't care about your skin and are not worried about your looks.

i know for a fact that 99% of my acne is exaggerated by my obsessive picking! i spend hours and hours in the bathroom picking at my skin! my arsenal of skin tools included:

3 different blackhead/blemish extractors, 2 sets of tweezers, q-tips, latex gloves and special mirrors! however, if i was especially stressed out i would simply use my fingers to attack every single acne lesion on my face (and chest) and thus causing way more harm than i should have ever inflicted on myself. obsessive skin picking is psychological. i actually become fixated and cannot stop! as silly as it sounds, it relieves a great deal of stress for me! although, the next day when i see the damage i feel very guilty.

recently i prooved to myself that i can have clearer skin if i don't touch my face for a while (for a few days-even better a few weeks). when i first met my guy a few months ago :wub: i was so preoccupied and happy. i spent alot of time at his place and less and less time at my place in front of the mirror picking. within a week of NO picking what-so-ever my face began to clear up dramatically. i was also washing my face only 2X a day when i was with him instead of 3 or 4 times when i was picking (to prevent infection). less frequent washing and no picking REALLY improved my overall complexion-being in love also made me less stressed out!

it is now a month later-

i am STILL in love with my guy :wub: - BUT the picking has resumed. WHY? maybe because it really is an obsession that is too hard to break on my own. i have my own silly anxieties about falling in love and getting hurt (again)-i have alot of stress regarding school (i am a graduate student) and have fallen behind in a few classes this term.

so, this past weekend i really went to town on my face and then proceeded to my chest. i will spare you all the details. consequently i ended up tossing every skin care tool i owned in the trash. however i still need to keep my tweezers or else my eyebrows will sprout all over the place! (and it really doesn't matter how many tools i toss out, i will always have my fingers/nails). however, i read on a skin picking internet info site that a good way to avoid using your nails to pick is to get a manicurist to apply acrylic or silk wrap tips so you can't. (i have had tips before and it really does make it totally impossible to pick your pimples).

going to get LONG nail tips TODAY! (will make me feel a bit more pretty despite my skin).

Guest c'est un rêve

dont understand why people would pick. its simple - picking makes acne worse. so your logic will tell you not to pick.

theres no secret really. you need to control your mind.

dont understand why people would pick. its simple - picking makes acne worse. so your logic will tell you not to pick.

theres no secret really. you need to control your mind.

When I was younger and I lived home, if I had picked at my face my mom would always tell me don't pick at your face!!! I'm glad she did cause I really never picked much when I was younger. Since I live on my own I started picking cause of stress I think. I live with my boyfriend now and I basically got my picking under control but I realize the times I did pick I was feeling stressed, bored or lonely. I'm gonna tell my boyfriend to not let me pick my skin, he always helps me stick with things I need to do that are good for me. I haven't really been picking anyway but he will be extra support for me.

Gosh its like I'm reading about myself. I am taking Effexor to help with my anxiety and try not to pick at my face as well. The majority of the acne and marks on my face are self inflicted as well and I try not to look at the mirror as lately it has become my enemy.

My method: I turn the super-bright overhead light on in my room, put on the radio and sit in front of the mirror. I even "schedule" picks. My implements are mostly fingernails, but have included needles, tweezers and comedone extractors. Then when my skin starts to get bad I, too, scrub-- either with a harsh skin wash or with an italy towel!! It's no wonder my skin freaks out like it does, my pores are hanging open at this point from all the picking! I do it to calm me down because it gives me some sense of control, like I'm cleaning out my skin or something (when really I'm ruining it). I have pretty bad discoloration on one side of my face. It looks bad even though there are no active pimples there. Thanks for sharing your stories, guys, it helps to know we're not alone!

Hi I just wanted to share with you that I used to pick as well. I say "used to" because at my age I now very rarely get any breakouts (although any lumps/blackheads still do get squeezed). I never had terribly bad acne but it did continue for MANY years on and off and the picking made it worse and worst of all left me with scars which I'm almost certain I wouldn't have had without the picking.

I am now looking at options for scar removal and let me tell you they aren't wonderful. Almost anything good is VERY expensive and not by any means 100% guaranteed. I just think you should keep that in mind whenever you are tempted to pick. I used to think "oh well, I'll get laser or whatever one day and it'll all be ok". Well it's not that easy and PICKING MAKES SCARING WORSE and therefore the long term effect of acne worse as well.

Now that I know how difficult it is to treat scars and that they can be minimised by not picking, I rarely do so. Hope this helps someone.

Caesar2

I know this sounds really stupid, but sit in front of your mirror and pretend that your zapping your imperfections away whenever you feel like picking. This is starting to help me stop picking.

Obsessive skin picking IS a sign of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. Some anti-depressants will amazingly help with it. I used to pick daily, ritualistically, for hours at a time. I even looked in my ears and picked there. :redface:

Now on antidepressant and I've not felt compelled to pick in years. My skin is better as a result.

There's help out there!!!