Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

pic 1

pic 2

I'm 27 and I seem to get hundreds of new pustules/whiteheads every day, all day. It won't stop or slow down, my face is always red and itchy and painful and ugly. It can never heal, because these keep coming. I only wash my face with a gentle oil cleanser, which is better than anything I've experimented with before. I don't put chemicals on it. I've cut out caffeine and sugar and wheat and almost all dairy and have been eating tons of fruit and vegetables morning day and night. I exercise and I drink tons of water. I get enough sleep. I take flax seed oil, milk thistle and a veggie extract supplement. I have tried BP and an infinite number of other treatments including store bought and topical and oral anti-biotics, except accutane.

Is this the rest of my life?

Well first let me congratulate you on your health - you sound like you take care of yourself well. But I don't think you are getting many posts because you seem to have the perfect care and routine.

So none of the stuff the doctors gave you helped? Has anything worked in the past ?

Thank you for the replies.

winniegirl - Thank you for the compliment. It's not that I don't make mistakes, but to be honest I've had very unhealthy diets in the past when I had much clearer skin. I've had acne for 10-15 years, but it was consistently mild/moderate until the end of last year. I usually had 1-3 red ones at a given time. White heads didn't become a chronic problem until about half a year ago, and those were likewise just a few per day at first. Topicals helped keep it at that level for a while, but irritated and dried my skin out worse than any moisturizer could keep up with. The only oral antibiotic I actually tried was minacyclin (sp?). I saw no improvement from it but admittedly I stopped early because I don't want to do something worse to my body with drugs.

Actually, what helped me more than anything else was increasing my water intake. It was so effective that I almost overdosed on water. This is how I looked last June after mega-dosing on water. Nowadays, though, water doesn't seem to be enough to curb the current problem.

Currently the entire lower half of my face breaks out in multitudes of them without stopping, and topicals no longer have any affect. Redness and scarring is drastic, and I'm unable to live like this. But I haven't made any changes to my lifestyle except positive ones, as far as I can tell.

My only guess is that it's hormonal as I have a testosterone deficiency and have to take weekly injections, but I've lowered my dose to the lowest possible amount and if anything my skin has worsened. Plus, I've been undergoing the hormone treatment for 3 years, so that doesn't explain why my face has become so aggravated now. :cry:

Cyph31 - I went to a nutritionist and had a $200 saliva test and evaluation done, so they recommended what to eat and what to avoid, what I have bad reactions to and what I don't. I don't know how accurate it is but I figure it can't do any harm. I don't know if that was the best "-ologist" to go to, or the best test to take.

Curious Sofa - No, but I think that totally overhauling my diet may be too unrealistic and a bit extreme because I've had better skin on worse diets in the past.

Hi Akujin,

it is very possible that you are experiencing some sort of 'healing crisis'. Your body is obviously getting rid of a lot of stuff through your skin. I know it is very hard (i've been there! I had huge cysts on my face that would stay for YEARS!!), but it's actually a good thing. Better out than in, if I may say. What your body forces out this way is not stored somewhere and is not a potential time bomb. You were probably very sensitive to a lot of stuff you were ingesting before you stopped and began eating well and your body was probably too weak to get rid of all the junk at the time. It is doing it now. Good.

What I would advise you to do, would be to try and see if you can find a Health Kinesiology practitioner in your area who will be able to test (better than any blood or saliva test because it tests the energy pattern of each substance) exactly what you are allergic or intolerant to and in what quantities. And more importantly, who will be able to CORRECT these allergies or tell you what quantities you can eat of each product.

As others have said, it's a good thing what you are doing for your health (eating better, etc.) and please do not think about reverting to all (bad) habits.

Have you read about recent posts on this Diet-Holistic Health forum about Organic Apple cider vinegar used internally (diluted in a bottle of water, to drink for a month) as well as topically to cleanse the liver of all the toxins (make a search with ACV as topic). It worked wonders for several people on this forum and it's completely natural.

Also, don't underestimate your probable allergy or intolerance to invisible chemicals in the water, toothpaste (fluoride, for example - You can read a great article posted yesterday or the day before about how fluoride in toothpaste cause pimples), households cleaners, flame retardant in the plastics of computers, etc. But a Health Kinesiology practitioner will be able to help you identify all this.

Hope this helps a bit. Please don't be too desperate, this is not an irreversible situation.

Hi Akujin,

it is very possible that you are experiencing some sort of 'healing crisis'. Your body is obviously getting rid of a lot of stuff through your skin. I know it is very hard (i've been there! I had huge cysts on my face that would stay for YEARS!!), but it's actually a good thing. Better out than in, if I may say. What your body forces out this way is not stored somewhere and is not a potential time bomb. You were probably very sensitive to a lot of stuff you were ingesting before you stopped and began eating well and your body was probably too weak to get rid of all the junk at the time. It is doing it now. Good.

Ok, this is very strange, your picture from June is dramatically different.

You could be right on the hormonal, there are definate links to testosterone and acne.

So injecting it you are putting testosterone directly into your bloodstream, I read about a testosterone gel ( I am a girl so please forgive me if I am wrong ).

Do you have to take the injections or could you try the gel or another way where you don't put tons of testosterone directly into your bloodstream at one time.

Have you been retested to see if your levels are still low ?

Kawaiisan - Thank you very much for your thorough input. Do you think that a Health Kinesiology practitioner would be better than a homeopathic physician or an endocrinologist? I've seen so many different types of experts recommended I have no idea where to start or what to trust. I don't think there are any Kinesiology practitioners around here, but there might be one in San Francisco or thereabout (I live in the north bay area).

I have a hard time sticking strictly to a healthy diet all the time, especially when I'm very skeptical that it's the cause of my problem, but fortunately I have gotten into the habit of eating certain fruits, I successfully broke my addiction to soda several years ago, and my body actually craves water whereas it didn't before.

I actually was drinking Bragg's ACV with water and applying it topically for several months. I thought there might have been a small decrease in the number of whiteheads, but it was hard to tell. And I hated drinking and applying it so much that I finally decided to pursue other options.

I changed my toothpaste at the Nutritionist's recommendation and I think it's stopped the red bumps from developing around my lips (but not whiteheads).

Jen121 - I've been taking the flax supplement for a year or so, I think. I've only increased my fruit and vegetable intake in the last few months, but I stopped drinking milk and consuming hardly any sugar several months back... maybe a half a year to a year.

Thank you for your encouragement, I really appreciate it.

winniegirl - I know. That picture was taken at a concert I went to in June '06 with some friends. I found a more recent picture from Halloween where my face was clear, and as recently as November I visited my s/o and although I was self-conscious about some red marks and possibly sprouting a few white heads during the day, it was managable.

It was in december that my cheeks broke out so bad that it started scarring, and the white head explosion didn't really happen until late Feb or early March. I had them before, but not remotely to this degree. This is why I've been more depressed the last several months than any time before. I can't make myself go outside anymore. I know I should, but I can't.

Injections are the most effective, and I do it weekly in order to keep the levels as even as possible. I had my blood tested and spoke to the doctor last month and my levels were indeed high, but I reduced it drastically and instead of improving, the problem has spiraled out of control. I plan to talk with my doctor again but it takes a month to get an appointment. :(

Kawaiisan - Thank you very much for your thorough input. Do you think that a Health Kinesiology practitioner would be better than a homeopathic physician or an endocrinologist? I've seen so many different types of experts recommended I have no idea where to start or what to trust. I don't think there are any Kinesiology practitioners around here, but there might be one in San Francisco or thereabout (I live in the north bay area).

I have a hard time sticking strictly to a healthy diet all the time, especially when I'm very skeptical that it's the cause of my problem, but fortunately I have gotten into the habit of eating certain fruits, I successfully broke my addiction to soda several years ago, and my body actually craves water whereas it didn't before.

I actually was drinking Bragg's ACV with water and applying it topically for several months. I thought there might have been a small decrease in the number of whiteheads, but it was hard to tell. And I hated drinking and applying it so much that I finally decided to pursue other options.

I changed my toothpaste at the Nutritionist's recommendation and I think it's stopped the red bumps from developing around my lips (but not whiteheads).

Hi Akujin,

Here is the link of the Health Kinesiology headquarters, you can always contact them to find the nearest HK practitioner. Yes, i think it will be better to see a HK practitioner than an endocrinologist or a homeopathic physician, because in HK you use muscle testing, which is in many ways almost a way to talk to the body. Sounds weird, i know, i used to be skeptic about that kind of thing, but i must say i've been flabbergasted at all my practitioner was able to tell me just with this test. Sessions are usually not so expensive (about 60 dollars for a session is common), so giving HK a try might really help, i think. Especially since you won't need 10 sessions.

http://www.subtlenergy.com/training/locate_practitoner.htm

Hope this helps! Keep me posted if you go see one!