Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
k8heidy

GREAT alt. to Accutane

I just finished my second treatment of Photo-dynamic therapy. I did the treatments two weeks apart and my skin is almost totally clear! I really hope it continues to be clear, I have two treatments still to go. Has anyoe else used this treatment? It was $2200 for four treatments, which I have since found is unusually expensive but I went to a top Beverly Hills dermatologist. I also have been on Ortho-tri cyclen lo and Spirolactone for a little over three months so that probably helped as well. Before now I have tried EVERYTHING and NOTHING worked, I have had terrible acne since I was 13, I am now 22.

I did this. After your treatment your skin is very sensitive to sun so you have to stay in the house for a couple of days. After a couple of months I was clear but then broke out even worse. Then I had to use accutane and have been pretty clear ever since with little breakouts here and there. Sucks though, this week i have one huge cyst. Its been here for 4 days and hasnt peeked yet. The rest of my face is clear though

btw.. I think i went in for 4 treatments as well and they make you put on a bunch of mineral oil to heal the skin.

I did this. After your treatment your skin is very sensitive to sun so you have to stay in the house for a couple of days. After a couple of months I was clear but then broke out even worse. Then I had to use accutane and have been pretty clear ever since with little breakouts here and there. Sucks though, this week i have one huge cyst. Its been here for 4 days and hasnt peeked yet. The rest of my face is clear though

btw.. I think i went in for 4 treatments as well and they make you put on a bunch of mineral oil to heal the skin.

After putting the medication on your skin did they use laser or blue light? How many months was it clear for? Did you go back for any mantinence treatments? Do you recomend going on accutane right after the treatments are complete so you don't have to start over again or shoud you wait to see if the results last? They never gave me any mineral oil. How much did you pay? Hope if all works out for you and thanks for your reply!!

After putting the medication on your skin did they use laser or blue light? How many months was it clear for? Did you go back for any mantinence treatments? Do you recomend going on accutane right after the treatments are complete so you don't have to start over again or shoud you wait to see if the results last? They never gave me any mineral oil. How much did you pay? Hope if all works out for you and thanks for your reply!!

I used the blu light. I went in and they put that levuline stuff and it smelled pretty bad. As I was getting the light therapy my skin started burning and I could smell the burning of my skin lol. It was clear for a while.. after 4 sessions. I didnt get any maintence treatments after that because i hated being stuck at home and it was too expensive. Im not sure how much I paid but the 4 sessions were at least $1,000 - 2,000. If YOU aren't breaking out after the therapy after a couple of months then just leave it as is because it might have worked. But if you are like me and you have tried EVERYTHING, accutane will help. I definitely should have taken accutane first.

I went through the ALA BLU U, and it worked fantastic for me!..this was last year when i had the worst breakout of my life. My derm told me i can go under accutane, but i didn't know much about accutane at the time, and all i heard was the bad side of it. so i went on with the treatemnt. I had about 5 treatments, a week apart, $250 for each. the first 3 didn't do much except made my skin far more worse to the point where i was gonna stop, but my doc told me to stick with it and it would eventually get better, and it did. about six months after the treatment, i started breaking out bad again, not as bad as it used to be. and i was taking minocycline at the time, so i was thinking that the antibiotic was starting to lose its effect.

I'm going under accutane next week, so i don't have worry bout spending a handful just to get my skin cleared up, i don't mind, but im on a tight budget, so the tane is a better option for me..thanks to my insurance :dance: ..anyway....blue light is a great treatment, pain in the pocket, but its well worth it.

There is a whole discussion on ALA + Blu U in Light/Laser acne treatments - > ALA Photodynamic therapy. It is really informative and well worth the read.

I myself have had two ALA + Blu U treatments so far. My last one was just over a week ago, I go for my RN visit this Friday. I will probably do it two more times before I make up my mind if it is working or not.

I will post pictures soon, but I do not have any pre-ALA pictures. You can be the judge. I have moderate to severe acne (this is my opinion), and lots of scars. The treatment did help with decreasing oil production, shrinking pores, and smoothing old scars. But I feel like I am still breaking out like I normally did pre-ALA, but the good thing is that they go away faster now. I have to look at the pictures the clinic took before I started the ALA treatments to see if any progress has been made.

i will post again in tomorrow or in a couple of days to post pictures.