Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
b&r

acne and (female) facial hair

Hi all,

So I've gotten a lot of good advice by browsing here, but I haven't seen this topic so I'm hoping someone can help me.

Short version: Female, 27, mild/moderate acne mostly on my chin and jawline. This corresponds with the location of a decent number of coarse, dark hairs. Before anyone mentions it, I should say that I know that this normally indicates a hormonal issue, but I've had my hormones tested twice and the results have been normal. More to the point, I've been on the pill for the last three years, including Yasmin for the last six months, with no effect. My problem is that I am not thrilled with stubble, so I tweeze, but it seems that tweezing causes more pimples. I disinfect the tweezers and the patch of skin first with rubbing alcohol, which helps, but its still a problem.

I've tried other forms of hair removal - laser broke me out horribly, and electrolysis hurts and doesn't work.

As for the rest of it: I was on antibiotics for almost a year, which helped a good deal, but I stopped a few months ago and the acne has been coming back. I think I'm getting it under control with BP and (alternately) BHA (I bought some paula's choice samples, liked them, and I'm waiting for my bottle to arrive now). So if I could sort out the hair issue, I think I'd be in good shape.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

My only advice is I tweeze at night, then take a shower and wash with a BHA wash. I never, ever tweeze in the mornings.

I don't disinfect prior - I just tweeze when my face is all dirty at the end of the day, and then wash.

Since you are using Paula's Products, then I would recommend at night: Tweeze, wash, and then apply the BHA and BP if you want, concentrating well on the chin area. You may break out a little at first, but after a month or so you should be good.

Hope that helps.

My only advice is I tweeze at night, then take a shower and wash with a BHA wash. I never, ever tweeze in the mornings.

I don't disinfect prior - I just tweeze when my face is all dirty at the end of the day, and then wash.

Since you are using Paula's Products, then I would recommend at night: Tweeze, wash, and then apply the BHA and BP if you want, concentrating well on the chin area. You may break out a little at first, but after a month or so you should be good.

Hope that helps.

Hi all,

So I've gotten a lot of good advice by browsing here, but I haven't seen this topic so I'm hoping someone can help me.

Short version: Female, 27, mild/moderate acne mostly on my chin and jawline. This corresponds with the location of a decent number of coarse, dark hairs. Before anyone mentions it, I should say that I know that this normally indicates a hormonal issue, but I've had my hormones tested twice and the results have been normal. More to the point, I've been on the pill for the last three years, including Yasmin for the last six months, with no effect. My problem is that I am not thrilled with stubble, so I tweeze, but it seems that tweezing causes more pimples. I disinfect the tweezers and the patch of skin first with rubbing alcohol, which helps, but its still a problem.

I've tried other forms of hair removal - laser broke me out horribly, and electrolysis hurts and doesn't work.

As for the rest of it: I was on antibiotics for almost a year, which helped a good deal, but I stopped a few months ago and the acne has been coming back. I think I'm getting it under control with BP and (alternately) BHA (I bought some paula's choice samples, liked them, and I'm waiting for my bottle to arrive now). So if I could sort out the hair issue, I think I'd be in good shape.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Hmm, that's an idea. I've had pelvic exams and each time I"m told my ovaries are normal, but maybe an ultrasound would be more accurate. maybe I should get myself to a real GYN instead of the university clinic this year.

However, I thought that the standard treatment for PCOS was bcp, which I've been on for three years with no effect. Do you know if there is anything to be done beyond that?

You could try Vaniqua. I tried it and it broke me out though.

Right now I'm taking Spiro for my acne and the hairs on my chin. It really helps with the acne, but not with the hair. You could try it though. For some people it does keep the hairs away.

Since the spiro doesn't control the hairs, I tweeze. I do it in the morning and put tea tree oil on my chin after. Sometimes I get breakouts but they are easy to control with BP at night.