Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AutonomousOne1980

biological purpose of acne is to lower blood cholesterol

I have been thinking lately that acne may be our bodys way of lowering bad cholesterol in the blood.

I think it is related to obesity and heart disease. obesity- stores the extra cholesterol as body fat, heart disease the fat will just clog up the arterial walls, but with acne the fat is excreted through the sebum glands.

I read a study that says people with acne have low hdl and apolipoprotein levels, which are responsible for collecting excess cholesterol in the blood and shuttling it to the liver to be excreted. so if our body isnt able to do this it needs to find someother way to do it hence the sebum glands.

here is an article the American Journal of Epidemiology saying that people with acne have a 33% lower risk of heart disease. So this theory makes good sense. http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn7541

Also phospholipase a2 has also been attributed to a survival mechanism to rid the body of excess cholesterol

Curr Opin Lipidol. 2007 Apr;18(2):147-51. Links

HDL cholesterol transport during inflammation.van der Westhuyzen DR, de Beer FC, Webb NR.

Department of Internal Medicine, Cardiovascular Research Center and Graduate Center for Nutritional Sciences, University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky, USA.

PURPOSE OF REVIEW: The aim of this article is to review recent advances made towards understanding how inflammation and acute phase proteins, particularly serum amyloid A and group IIa secretory phospholipase A2, may alter reverse cholesterol transport by HDL during inflammation and the acute phase response. RECENT FINDINGS: Findings suggest that the decreased apoA-I content and markedly increased serum amyloid A content in HDL during the acute phase response result from reciprocal and coordinate transcriptional regulation of these proteins as well as HDL remodeling by group IIa secretory phospholipase A2. Serum amyloid A functions efficiently in a lipid-free or lipid-poor form to promote cholesterol efflux by ATP binding cassette protein ABCA1, evidently by functioning directly as an acceptor for cholesterol efflux as well as by increasing the availability of cellular free cholesterol. Serum amyloid A increases the ability of acute phase HDL to serve as an acceptor for SR-BI-dependent cellular cholesterol efflux. Altered remodeling of HDL by group IIa secretory phospholipase A2 in concert with cholesterol ester transfer protein may contribute to the generation of lipid-poor apoA-I and serum amyloid A acceptors for cholesterol efflux. SUMMARY: Current data support a model for the acute phase response in which serum amyloid A and sPLA2-IIa(phospholipase a2), present at sites of inflammation and tissue damage, play a protective role by enhancing cellular cholesterol efflux, thereby promoting the removal of excess cholesterol from macrophages.

phospholipase a2 is also the signal for cell membranes to release arachidonic acid yeilding pro-inflammatory eicosanoids that serve as ppar ligands binding to nuclear receptors. Ligands for ppar have proven to be potent mediators for sebum production.

Hopefully ive been able to link acne as a defect in fat metabolism and its relation to heart disease, and also phospholipase a2 for its role in not only fat metabolism but also pla2s role in sebum production.

Uniting sebum production with the bodys survival response to lower excess cholesterol.

Ill update this as i continue my research.

would you be able to see by comparing sebum excretions from people with acne vs people who don't? and comparing what and how much of it is in the sebum.

here is a study saying berberine can reduce total cholesterol by 16% and ldl by 20% and increased hdl by 7%

: Arzneimittelforschung. 2007;57(1):26-30. Links

Eulipidemic effects of berberine administered alone or in combination with other natural cholesterol-lowering agents. A single-blind clinical investigation.Cicero AF, Rovati LC, Setnikar I.

"G. Descovich" Atherosclerosis and Dysmetabolic Disease Research Center, "D. Campanacci" Clinical Medicine and Applied Biotechnology Department, University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy.

Berberine (BERB) and a combination (COMB) of berberine (CAS 2086-83-1) with policosanol (CAS 557-61-9), red yeast extract (containing monacolin, CAS 557-61-9), folic acid and astaxanthin were orally administered daily for 4 weeks to 40 subjects with moderate dyslipidemias divided in two parallel groups each of 20 subjects. Total cholesterol (TC), LDL, HDL, Non HDL, ApoB, ApoA, Lp(a) and triglycerides (TG) were measured before and at the end of treatments. BERB and COMB significantly reduced TC (respectively by 16% and 20%), LDL (by 20% and 25%), ApoB (by 15% and 29%) and TG (by 22% and 26%), and increased HDL (by 6.6% and 5.1%). Adverse events or impairments of liver transaminases or of CPK were not observed. In conclusion, food supplements containing natural products such as berberine, policosanol, red yeast extracts, folic acid and astaxanthin could be a useful support to diet and life style changes to correct dyslipidemias and to reduce cardiovascular risk in subjects with moderate mixed dyslipidemias.

heres a study that used berberine to supress sebum 63% on a hamster ear. It doesnt say exactly how it did this but i think it has to do with berberines ability to improve cholesterol.

Skin Pharmacol. 1993;6(1):56-60. Links

Effect of some alkaloids, flavonoids and triterpenoids, contents of Japanese-Chinese traditional herbal medicines, on the lipogenesis of sebaceous glands.Seki T, Morohashi M.

Department of Dermatology, Toyama Medical and Pharmaceutical University, Japan.

The effects of some alkaloids and flavonoids, which are major ingredients in some of the Japanese Kampoh drugs (Japanese-Chinese traditional herbal medicines) experientially known to be efficacious for the treatment of acne vulgaris, on the lipogenesis in the sebaceous glands of the hamster ear, an excellent animal model for the human sebaceous gland, were studied. Lipogenesis was assayed by determining 14C incorporation into sebaceous lipids extracted from the sebaceous glands which were preincubated with 14C-acetate. We found that the lipogenesis in the hamster sebaceous glands was suppressed 63 and 54% by 10(-4) M berberine (an alkaloid) and wogonin (a flavonoid), respectively. We suggest that the therapeutic effects of some Japanese Kampoh drugs experimentally used for acne vulgaris could be due to inhibition of lipogenesis by their active ingredients such as berberine and wogonin.

I have inherited hypercholesterolemia, i also have VERY persistant moderate acne, ive just come off accutane and still have spots...

Would you say there is a link between raised Cholesterol and acne? It is interesting that B5 was the only thing that gave me decent relief from acne....I understand that b5 increases fat motabolism, there seems to be a link in my case....

I have inherited hypercholesterolemia, i also have VERY persistant moderate acne, ive just come off accutane and still have spots...

Would you say there is a link between raised Cholesterol and acne? It is interesting that B5 was the only thing that gave me decent relief from acne....I understand that b5 increases fat motabolism, there seems to be a link in my case....

here is an article the American Journal of Epidemiology saying that people with acne have a 33% lower risk of heart disease.
That you have a genetic susceptabilty to handle excess cholesterol in a certain way, and acne could be your bodys way of dealing with it, its protecting you from possibly having a heart attack.

Guest ~Wolfy~

I don't think that acne can be primarily a way of reducing blood cholesterol.

The problem is that lowering blood cholesterol would be an advantage later in life but the costs of acne are paid when you're young.

That's the wrong way around, for it to be selected for it would normally have to be an advantage early in life and pay the costs at a later age.

: West Afr J Med. 2004 Jan-Mar;23(1):65-8. Links

Erratum in:

West Afr J Med. 2005 Apr-Jun;24(2):183. Ikaraocha, CI [corrected to Ikaraoha, CI].

Pattern of skin surface lipids in some south-western Nigerians with acne vulgaris.Ikaraoha CI, Taylor GO, Anetor JI, Onuegbu JA.

Department of Chemical Pathology, College of Medicine, University of Ibadan, Nigeria.

Unanswered questions still exist regarding pathophysiology of acne vulgaris generally and particularly in this environment. METHODS: Skin surface lipid (SSL) samples were collected by the heptane sponge technique from faces of 20 Nigerians with facial acne vulgaris and 25 controls. The subjects were classified into mild and moderately severe acne groups. Total cholesterol and triglycerides were determined and expressed in percentage (%) while Undetermined Skin Surface Lipids (USSL) (free fatty acids + squalene + wax ester + diglycerides) were computed. RESULTS: Triglycerides and total cholesterol levels were significantly higher in subjects with acne vulgaris compared with controls (p < 0.001 and p < 0.029 respectively). There was a progressively significant increase in triglycerides from control, though mild to moderately severe acne vulgaris subjects (P < 0.01) in all cases. In contrast there was a significant progressive decrease in USSL among the three groups (P < 0.001) in all cases. No significant difference was evident for all the values on comparison of female subjects with male subjects. There were however, significant increases in triglycerides and significant decreases in USSL levels for both male and female subjects with acne vulgaris compared with their respective controls (P < 0.02, P < 0.01, P < 0.03 and P < 0.014). CONCLUSION: Alterations in composition of SSL may in part be the pathophysiological basis of inflammatory acne vulgaris. Severity of the disorder appears to parallel triglyceride level but there was no association with sex. Triglycerides and total cholesterol levels are lower in SSL in this environment compared with hotter climates.

That's the wrong way around, for it to be selected for it would normally have to be an advantage early in life and pay the costs at a later age.

heres an article on lowering your triglycerides, the first bit of advice they give is to lower your sugar intake as it is able to raise your triglycerides instantly. http://www.loweringcholesterol.net/show/lower-triglycerides

and as the study above has said the higher the triglycerides, the more severe the acne.and its easy to see why people cut their sugar intake to help their acne, it makes more sense now.

My recent breakout was most likely triggered by my increased fruit intake, i think the bananas really did it.

its also interesting that sebum itself is made up of 41% triglycerides http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sebum#Composition.

Guest ~Wolfy~
when the gene was being selected for our diet would have been very different and low in sat fats etc. so maybe acne would have been mild or none existent anyway as cholesterol was low so it wouldnt be a significant disadvantage??

Sorry, I don't support this theory.

If this were true, then statins (LDL-lowering drugs like Lipitor, Zocor, etc) would cure acne. Statins have been on the market for many years, and there are plenty of acne-prone people taking them (I am one of them, age 35). No link between statin use and a decrease in acne severity has ever been reported, and my personal experience backs this up-- I have been off/on/off/on with no appreciable difference in my complexion despite appreciable reduction in serum lipids.

Furthermore, the only systemic treatment besides antiobiotics shown to be effective for acne is accutane. One of the most common side effects is increased serum LDL (~40%of patients) and incresed serum triglycerides (~30%). So if acne was a function of high serum lipids, accutane would actually make lots of people's acne worse.

Guest ~Wolfy~

Maybe it's the other way around, maybe it's due to low cholesterol(!)

Sorry, I don't support this theory.

If this were true, then statins (LDL-lowering drugs like Lipitor, Zocor, etc) would cure acne. Statins have been on the market for many years, and there are plenty of acne-prone people taking them (I am one of them, age 35). No link between statin use and a decrease in acne severity has ever been reported, and my personal experience backs this up-- I have been off/on/off/on with no appreciable difference in my complexion despite appreciable reduction in serum lipids.

Furthermore, the only systemic treatment besides antiobiotics shown to be effective for acne is accutane. One of the most common side effects is increased serum LDL (~40%of patients) and incresed serum triglycerides (~30%). So if acne was a function of high serum lipids, accutane would actually make lots of people's acne worse.

If this were true, then statins (LDL-lowering drugs like Lipitor, Zocor, etc) would cure acne. Statins have been on the market for many years, and there are plenty of acne-prone people taking them (I am one of them, age 35). No link between statin use and a decrease in acne severity has ever been reported

They have now, when studied in the context of PCOS:

The two drugs reduced acne by 67% and 59% respectively

and my personal experience backs this up-- I have been off/on/off/on with no appreciable difference in my complexion despite appreciable reduction in serum lipids.

All statins are not equal; my guess is that only the ones that raise zinc superoxide dismutase (ZSOD) levels will be relevant to acne. Further, it's possible they require sufficient levels of zinc and/or superoxide dismutase before they can play a role in preventing acne.

Furthermore, the only systemic treatment besides antiobiotics shown to be effective for acne is accutane.

No. If nothing else, zinc has repeatedly been shown to statistically improve acne -- consistent with the hypothesis (now backed by detailed biochemical study) that ZSOD can play a key role in preventing acne (or lack thereof is the key cause, depending on how you care to look at it).

What do you suppose the solution to the problem is then? Do we try to increase our bodies ability to keep our blood cholesterol low without using the sebaceous glands?

What do you suppose the solution to the problem is then? Do we try to increase our bodies ability to keep our blood cholesterol low without using the sebaceous glands?

My current supposition is that the same thing that's good for acne (increasing levels of zinc superoxide dismutase by hook or by crook) are good for atherosclerosis.

there are many people out there with high levels of cholesterol and do not have any acne.

That doesn't mean it wouldn't affect someone that is susceptible to acne though.

there are many people out there with high levels of cholesterol and do not have any acne.

If you were referring to my post, that would be a non sequitur. I'm not saying that cholesterol has the slightest thing to do with acne. I'm saying that one treatment for high cholesterol happens to increase levels of an anti-oxidant that is highly relevant for acne.