Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jweibel

The N-Lite laser destroyed my skin

Please read my experience with the N-Lite laser, I need your help!

I was suffering from moderate acne and so my doctor suggested a treatment with the N-Lite laser.

On December 14 2006 I had my first session and on january 18 2007 I had my second. During that period I applied Redap gel (similar to BP) to my skin and during the first month I was on Tetracycline (I quit the pills because the acne had disappeared by then)

Initially everything was fine and dandy, no more acne, but sometime during february my skin on the left side of my nose started to detoriate. It's getting kind of indented like the collagen or fat in the lower layers of the skin has been damaged. I have about 5 of these indentations down the left side of my nose. The first one that appeared is very noticable, but the rest of them are still hard to spot with the naked eye, but you can feel the "holes" when you move your finger across the skin. Almost every day I notice a new indentation so I'm VERY worried about how and when this nightmare is going to end. I'm also worried that all the indentations eventually will begin to look as bad as the first one, in which case my skin is totally ruined. What I don't get about this is that the N-Lite laser was supposed to stimulate the production of collagen, but in my case it seems that the opposite is taking place, the collagen is slowly being destroyed, undermining my skin. (It also gave me some hyperpigmentation, but this is much worse!)

I would like to hear from others who has had a similar experience, with the N-lite laser or any other laser. What has caused these indentations, and will they improve or worsen? Do you know of any cream or treatment that could somehow stop this ongoing destruction of my skin, something that could stop the collagen from being destroyed (I believe this process is still going on as we speak)

Also I've been using a cream called Redap which works like BP and ultimately makes the skin thinner so it might be possible that I've had these indentations all along, but never noticed them before because my skin was thicker. Right now I'm on Dan's regimen, but I'm not applying the BP directly on the scarring area, because I fear it could make matters worse.

I've never been so scared in my life!

I have no experience of n-lite so i can't comment on that but regarding bp, it has definitely thinned out my skin. I had been suffering from acne for about 2 - 3 years before i started using bp and within weeks i started noticing indented scars on my skin. I of course freaked out but having researched a bit more i now know it was the bp thinning the skin, revealing scars that were already there.

I would guess something similar is happening to you. I decided to continue using bp regardless because nothing else worked for me and breaking out again would just cause more scars.

Hey jweibel ive had numerous treatments of nlite in the past for acne and acne scarring. Didnt see any results from it at all. Really disappointed with it. :cry:

In my case n lite didn't cause any further scarring but it certainly didn't help with the ones that were already there.

Try looking into fraxel. Thats what im having done at the moment for indentations and scarring. Its supposed to be the closest thing to invasive lasers such as CO2/Erbium but yet it is still a non-invasive procedure. Ive heard good things about it.

Good luck anyways and all the best!

Okay, I get to vent here. I had Smoothbeam. Several. Six to be exact. The first 4, I had in a series with no problems. The fifth was ok, kinda weak setting, no real results, except for some temporary plumping. THE LAST ONE, HOWEVER, OMG. She had it on the highest setting and mind you, I had some very high settings on the 3rd and 4th, but this one , I could barely stand the pain on my forehead, which with most everyone, the bone is closer to the surface of the skin. Well, my entire face was red and splotched for days, but my forehead was more so. After all the redness went away, I noticed two side by side indents SMACK IN THE MIDDLE OF MY FOREHEAD AT THE TOP, near the hairline. I know these weren't there before since I have never had real acne on my forehead or anything of any signifigance , especially which would cause two almost a symetrical scars. Well, it seems they may be plumping up since I think the damn laser damaged the fat under my skin and caused the skin to sink or depress in that area. Okay, luckily, I normally wear bangs and it seems to be plumping up a bit but still, BE VERY CAREFUL. Sometimes the higher settings which are notable for more results, could also damage underlying skin tissue or fat.

the n-lite is a crap laser and a waste of money. its hard to believe it does a thing for anyone. i had two treatments over 2 years ago by dr nita patel in marina del rey which did nothing, and possibly caused a linear scar i dont remember seeing on my face prior to. these docs know it will do nothing, they know the limitations, yet theyre only too happy to promise improvements, take your money, and do it anyway. the only docs who tell you it will do nothing are the ones who dont own it. she charged a grand for 2 treatments and 2 microderms. i doubt the laser has done the damage to you, that said. rather, since you are coming out of your acne stage, its probably your skin remodeling. after your acne subsides, the collagen in your skin will go through a long process of remodeling and scars that were never there during acne will start to emerge months later. mother nature is doing her "road work" right now and my guess is that your skin is simply remodeling after the onslaught of acne.

thank you for replying so soon, I really hope the indentations will improve in time (though right now they are getting increasingly visible every day). I'm starting to think that I may have had the indentations all along, I simply can't believe that the N-Lite laser could cause so much damage.

Do you know of any cream that might improve the appearence of the indentations?

I agree with all of you that the N-Lite laser is total crap, it's not a solution, even if it works the effect only lasts a couple of months.

Okay, Jweibel, Be VERY gentle with your skin now!

I would NOT use that BP or anything that could even slightly aggravate or inflame your skin right now.

Could you use moisturiser on your skin? And mix it with a good quality vitamin e oil? Moisturiser will help retard further scarring of your skin. It's always best to keep your skin moist whilst it is healing from the N lite you had done or any kind of invasive surgery.

Also, read up on Maya's post ? I think it's mayawho posted about nutritional advice when undergoing any kind of scar revision surgery. And take those supplements she recommended. I would say that vitamin C or even Esther C (best kind) will help to form new collagen in your skin.

Remember, it's easier to heal scars when they are young, rather than old scars. you ahve a much better chance of healing it up now.

Best Wishes,

Girlie Girl

Another treatment to be aware of is Thermage. I have heard reports of people having a loss of facial fat after the treatment, sometimes a year or so later. It was developed for use on the neck but it has been applied to the face as well, sometimes with problems.

shit i m definately staying away frm lasers mayb fraxel only and thermage didnt know about that. Its funny cos i went to a derm's clinic in london and their main selling is n-lite laser on website. The women however when she saw me was like o i bet u re thinking the laser will help but let me tell u this dont let anyone fool you about laser it wont help. I was thinking but your clinic has it all over their website :shifty:

girlie -- I need to use BP otherwise I'll breakout real bad. I haven't experienced much inflamation in connection with the BP so I think it's best to keep using it to avoid more acne in the scarred area.

While browsing through previous posts I've found that copper peptides seems to be most appropiate for my condition and so I've purchased the CP Serum & Exfol Serum from Skin Biology. However I'm also applying BP (I follow Dan's Regimen), is that a problem?

If not, then in what order should I apply the CP and the BP? Here's my suggestion for a personal regimen where I have included the copper peptides.

Is it ok? Any alternative suggestions?

Wash face (I'm using Dan's soap)

-wait 5 min

Vinegar (on scars)

-wait 10 min

Exfol Serum (on scars)

- wait ?? min

CP Serum (on scars)

-wait 10 min

BP

- wait 10 min

Moisturizer

-wait 10 min

Sunblock

damn it I have to get up pretty early in the morning :)

girlie -- I need to use BP otherwise I'll breakout real bad. I haven't experienced much inflamation in connection with the BP so I think it's best to keep using it to avoid more acne in the scarred area.

While browsing through previous posts I've found that copper peptides seems to be most appropiate for my condition and so I've purchased the CP Serum & Exfol Serum from Skin Biology. However I'm also applying BP (I follow Dan's Regimen), is that a problem?

If not, then in what order should I apply the CP and the BP? Here's my suggestion for a personal regimen where I have included the copper peptides.

Is it ok? Any alternative suggestions?

Wash face (I'm using Dan's soap)

-wait 5 min

Vinegar (on scars)

-wait 10 min

Exfol Serum (on scars)

- wait ?? min

CP Serum (on scars)

-wait 10 min

BP

- wait 10 min

Moisturizer

-wait 10 min

Sunblock

damn it I have to get up pretty early in the morning :)