Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pochflyboy

Milk Linked to Acne

Its been debated for a long time if food effects acne. It is now been found in studies of people that this is true. The one thing I noticed in my acne endevour was that the more milk I drank the WORSE it got. Several people have said that milk helped their acne, but I would link this more to them being more hydrated than to molecular compunds in the milk. Same as drinking more water. I attached an article from a health journal talking about three new studies on the relationship of milk and acne.ARTICLE HERE What do you guys think. Relationship that you have noticed? Milk does not contain DHT directly but it does contain hormones that are broken down in to DHT. Still I just don't want to let my milk go if I don't have too! (I drink a gallon every two days)

Sorry you have to login to see the article. Anyways it says that there was a 22% increase from non-milk drinkers with sever-acne to milk drinkers with sever-acne. Found in the Dermatology Times dated March 2006. Article was titled "Accne Effect from Milk to a Myth" by Cheryl Guttman.

Guest dingybobstuart
man...i drink milk every night geez

as far as im concerned that is complete and utter bullshit. Someone told me a couple years back that milk could be the reason for my acne. so i thought hey why not. So i stopped drinking any dairy for almost a year. Guess what still had it !! and it probly got worse over that time so i drink milk again.

I have read before that for people with allergies or asthma, milk can make symptoms worse- I think because people who are allergic to histamines are more likely to also be allergic to milk proteins or something? I really can't remember the specifics, but if there is a link between milk and acne maybe it has something to do with an allergy to the milk proteins (so for people without the allergy, it wouldn't contribute to acne)?

Just a random thought.....

Yea... I hate to say it, but the more research I do the more I find current studies that link milk DIRECTLY to sever acne. I guess I will stop drinking for a bit and see what happens. We will see. I will miss my poor milk though.

as far as im concerned that is complete and utter bullshit. Someone told me a couple years back that milk could be the reason for my acne. so i thought hey why not. So i stopped drinking any dairy for almost a year. Guess what still had it !! and it probly got worse over that time so i drink milk again.

Yea... I hate to say it, but the more research I do the more I find current studies that link milk DIRECTLY to sever acne. I guess I will stop drinking for a bit and see what happens. We will see. I will miss my poor milk though.

I would have to agree with this as my skin was doing well for several months (virtually no breakouts) and then a few weeks ago I was having problems with my IBS and had to switch to a liquid diet for a week or so. During that week I drank a lot of milkshakes and ate ice cream and I broke out in terrible cysts on one side of my face. I quit the milkshakes and ice cream right away and the cysts are starting to subside. My sister had bad cystic acne as a teen and she drank a lot of milk, I never drank milk (I don't like it) and I rarely had bad cysts as a teen (some pimples but not cysts). I think if you are lactose sensitive it does affect your skin, obviously not everyone is lactose sensitive, but for those who are, avoiding dairy products may be a good idea. Chocolate fortunately has no effect whatsoever on my skin, (I couldn't live without my chocolate)... :)

Best wishes from bookyone :)

everyone acne has a certain trigger. just need to find out what it is. in some peoples cases its milk, in some its something else.

Cutting out Gluten can also help acne, i was diagnossed with celiac and must admit since cutting out gluten i've noticed an improvement. I've also cut down on dairy and thats helped too. Everyone probably has an allergy to something you just need to find out what it is.

Of course it's indivudual and having a clear diet improves the skin but it's mostly genetic and hormonal factors that contributes the condition.

its definately milk which causes acne and spots

would you rather drink milk, poisoning your body and walk around with ugly spots on your face looking like a nerd or avoid cows milk and any of its deriatives and have a beautiful smooth healthy skin?

alternative is soya milk protien, fish, chicken and eggs, try eggs on rice cakes and fish sprinkled with East End brand mixed spices with some sea salt ( place fish on flat small square piece of wood cut from wooden spoon so that fish wont stick to pan, and boil or simmer it with little water, covering the pan) sprinkle the sea salt and the spices on the wood and on top of the cod fish, it only takes 15 to 20 minutes to cook. PS eat a fresh apple or one quarter slice of fresh pinaple whilst the fish is cooking) and have the soya milk with added cocoa ( plain with no additives) mixed with blender in between these two healthy meals)

PS: you can garnish the fish with unrefined olive oil ( one tea spoon) after the fish is cooked and toped with some walnuts for carbs/energy

Try soya milk with added Raw cane Sugar ( this one is the best taster with no other additives)

Sainsburys sell Soya milk with raw cane sugar

Blood group based diet is very useful information, below is the website:

http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~sshapiro/ER4Y..._TOC.html#Asian

So if a person is suffering from a severe case of acne and never drinks milk then it's her faulth? How do you explain that?

So if a person is suffering from a severe case of acne and never drinks milk then it's her faulth? How do you explain that?

No - milk does not CAUSE acne. The causes of acne are multi-determined - genetics, hormones, bacteria, improperly shedding pores, products that clog your pores, and some foods. What some foods (including dairy) CAN do is cause acne flares or a worsening of acne in people who are already prone to developing acne. Milk all by itself doesn't cause acne and it probably doesn't cause acne in people who are not prone to breaking out. What it may do is cause flare-ups in those who are prone or may make a mild case of acne more severe. There are also other things that may also cause severe acne (genes, hormones, etc.), so simply cutting out milk may not help all acne sufferers clear up. It very well may make things worse for people though. You have to battle acne using many methods - using products that get the skin to exfoliate and the pores to shed properly, antibacterials to kill the acne bacteria, not using pore-clogging ingredients on your skin, AND avoiding dietary factors that may lead to worsening of acne.

And it is also thought that the reason dairy may be a problem is due to the high levels of iodine in dairy. There is a long-standing line of research that shows and iodine-acne connection.

Sorry you have to login to see the article. Anyways it says that there was a 22% increase from non-milk drinkers with sever-acne to milk drinkers with sever-acne. Found in the Dermatology Times dated March 2006. Article was titled "Accne Effect from Milk to a Myth" by Cheryl Guttman.

Milk used to not break me out and then suddenly one day it started breaking me out. Milk has broken me out in ugly, painful cystic pimples ever since :(

No - milk does not CAUSE acne. The causes of acne are multi-determined - genetics, hormones, bacteria, improperly shedding pores, products that clog your pores, and some foods. What some foods (including dairy) CAN do is cause acne flares or a worsening of acne in people who are already prone to developing acne. Milk all by itself doesn't cause acne and it probably doesn't cause acne in people who are not prone to breaking out. What it may do is cause flare-ups in those who are prone or may make a mild case of acne more severe. There are also other things that may also cause severe acne (genes, hormones, etc.), so simply cutting out milk may not help all acne sufferers clear up. It very well may make things worse for people though. You have to battle acne using many methods - using products that get the skin to exfoliate and the pores to shed properly, antibacterials to kill the acne bacteria, not using pore-clogging ingredients on your skin, AND avoiding dietary factors that may lead to worsening of acne.

And it is also thought that the reason dairy may be a problem is due to the high levels of iodine in dairy. There is a long-standing line of research that shows and iodine-acne connection.

I cut out all dairy products for 3 weeks and it had no effect at all, if anything after the 3 weeks my skin was quite a lot worse ... I'm not saying cutting out dairy made it worse but it definately didnt help my skin.