Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mandy Ann

Anyone else have a hard time getting into the derm?

My grandma was trying to make a derm appointment for me so I can try to get accutane [though thats going to be a bitch to pay for since I have no health insurance.] Anyways, around my area, the only time I can go and see a derm is in about 6-7 months :shock: ridiculous..

How about for you guys? I know in some places, you can call and make an appointment and get in the next day. Lucky sons of bitches.

Usually if I say I really need to be seen about something that day, they get me in within a day or two. Otherwise, it was about 3 months to get to see my first derm for the first time. Usually after you have seen them once, you can make an appointment in a month.

^Now I find out that I can actaully get in sooner.. but thats only if I go to my family doctor first and get some kind of slip to go see a dermatologist :think: im confused on the situation.. unfortunatly, I can't afford going to both my family doc and a derm (Just to see the doctor for a quick appointment one time was a couple hundred dollars! :(). I will try to call other areas though a couple hours away from where I live.

^Now I find out that I can actaully get in sooner.. but thats only if I go to my family doctor first and get some kind of slip to go see a dermatologist :think: im confused on the situation.. unfortunatly, I can't afford going to both my family doc and a derm (Just to see the doctor for a quick appointment one time was a couple hundred dollars! :(). I will try to call other areas though a couple hours away from where I live.

really? I wonder why its so expensive up here :think: With that appointment, it was so simple.. I went and asked the doc if I could get birth control for acne earlier this school year and he said "yes" and suggested that I go to a planned parenthood place to get cheaper birth control. Then BAM, couple hundred dollars (I think around 170 actually) just for that visit :doh:

Thats insane.

I had a month long wait for the first time I saw my derm. Now I go monthly for my accutane prescriptions.

Yeah, round here it's usually a good 6 month wait at least until you can get in there.. which seems ridiculous, I mean most people seem to only be there for a couple of minutes at the most each time so you wonder how they can possibly be so busy..

Lucky for me, my nan paid for me to go privately just so I could skip the huge wait and then transfer back onto the NHS once I was on accutane, thus missing out the 6 months.. so I get the feeling I was very lucky in how it all worked out, basically if my nan wasn't mega rich I'd be so screwed, so I feel for you.. I don't know very much about how things work with derms outside the UK but I hope somehow you're able to get there soon (: yeah, maybe look around a bit more and see if there are any others a little further away that you'd be able to get to, but that have shorter waits? It'd probably be well worth the extra travelling time I would imagine. G'luck :angel:

Yo Mandy~ I was in the same situation as you without medical insurance so tane aint cheap for me either. The derm appointment when I first made it took 3-4 months for me to get in. Not much you could do about that, so I waited it out. Once you get to the derm MAKE SURE you get accutane and let him/her know all the other products you used that didn't work if he gives you a hard time (lucky for me I'm 18 so I just was like "man hook me up with accutane, id rather just be sure to get rid of the acne for good" and he said okay). If you get tane on your first try, you'll be set with appointments way faster since you'll have to go in monthly to get a new prescription so you wont have to wait months at a time.

Now about the cost. I live in Canada so I don't know if there's a difference for people in Canada and the US when it comes to the price for people without medical insurance, but to give you an idea I payed $73 for a month of 40mg for the first month. The other months it costs $150 for 60mg per month(cause it's 1 box of 40mg, and 2 boxes of 10mg so 3 pills at a time- one 40mg and two 10mg). Not that cheap, but I remem you posting on lh that you thought it would be like $300/month.

:proud:

I live in a small town & I have the same problem with getting in with any kind of doctor. I also have no health insurance & have paid over $100 for an appointment. I haven't gone toa derm cuz I don't know if I could afford a prescription for anything. Plus my skin looks better now, but I still need to address a skin issue on my legs.

I went to a family health clinic before for BC too & I got it FREE, since I was a poor college student. If you are a young single woman & go to a clinic like that alone they practically hand out BC prescriptions like candy :D

Just a tip for any woman who's looking into a BC pill & is tight on money...

unfortunatly, I can't afford going to both my family doc and a derm (Just to see the doctor for a quick appointment one time was a couple hundred dollars! :()

I waited 3.5 months to spend 95$ for nothing. She looked at my skin and said yeah, you have some acne then wrote a script and sent me out the door.