Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mandy Ann

ATTENTION: Everyone who has used benzoyl peroxide in the past

I have a question for those who used and then STOPPED USING benzoyl peroxide in their regimen, whether they were on the DKR or using something like proactiv. What were the reasons why you stopped/what kind of acne did you have/how was your skin after you stopped the use of BP?

Also, for those who, like me, suffer from terrible redmarks from using benzoyl peroxide (I used it when I was on Dan's Regimen), did your redmarks improve once you stopped using BP?

I used AcneFree which is similar to Proactiv in that it has three steps. It contains bp and the reason I stopped using it is because it made my face extremely red and itchy. It made my face even more dry than it already is. I had cracked skin on my nose. The redness goes away except for when I mess with my pimples. Thast a very bad habit of mine

i had mild-moderate red bumps and whiteheads for many years and this past fall i started using a 5% BP cream between september and december

it did decrease the inflammation and infection of a spot a bit faster

but in the end when i stopped using it in early january it left both my temple areas and corners of my forehead with about a dozen red marks each

and i think my skin still hasn't recovered from using it because bumps that i get in those areas now still leave marks as if the skin is still damaged from the previous BP use

all i can say to others is IT'S NOT WORTH IT JUST TO HAVE THE INFECTION FADE A LITTLE FASTER

i despise all forms of topicals now (even cleansers/soaps on my face) and i'm guessing these red marks will stay around visible for years (significant changes in temperature make them look even more pronounced) even if i follow an obviously healthy life style like diet+exercise+sleep

i wish i could go back in time and tell myself to improve my acne through diet instead of through some worthless waste of money

Cyph, with the last statement you said about wishing you could go back in time and use a different awy to improve acne... you dont know howwwww much i feel your pain. It will probably take years to fade the redmarks I got from BP.. and I know what you are saying about temperature making them more pronounced. I got out of a hot shower yesterday and my redmarks looked absolutely horrifying... they eventually calmed down but its still horrible to know what has happened to my skin.

I stopped using BP after I realized that it made my skin so oily and led to more breakouts. I had moderate acne, lots of redmarks and pustules always forming around the jawline and cheek areas. I used Proactiv for two years which turned my acne from mild to moderate, used AcneFree for a few days and broke out terribly and then used my Derm prescribed BP Cream (5%) which made me oily as hell. I stopped the BP cream by gradually using it only as a spot treatment and then stopping it altogether. After experimenting with so all natural methods, I decided to try out Clearogen and I'm really happy, as I'm now clearing up. Still, I'm left with redmarks and scars. I'm trying various methods in the Red Scars Forum like Pure Deming R-ALA Serum and others. The redmarks are slowly fading.

Cyph, with the last statement you said about wishing you could go back in time and use a different awy to improve acne... you dont know howwwww much i feel your pain. It will probably take years to fade the redmarks I got from BP.. and I know what you are saying about temperature making them more pronounced. I got out of a hot shower yesterday and my redmarks looked absolutely horrifying... they eventually calmed down but its still horrible to know what has happened to my skin.

BP, in the dosage that was necessary for acne made my skin worse. It dries your skin, it's a pro-oxidant, it causes peeling, causing dead skin cells (which btw clogs pores with oil).. which leads me too.. causes more oil from the irritation, which causes more acne in the process. Oh and if your zits pop from dryness, well you get more zits.

Even with the least amount of BP, that's what happened to me. And also when you let BP dry and then put moisturizer on it? You literally get caked up. Your skin just can't breathe, the lotion won't absorb properly anymore, it's a messy gross situation. Oh and how it bleaches your hair and clothes, including eyebrows, facial hair, top of your forehead.

I started getting wrinkles too.

I said wait wait wait. this is skin CARE not skin DAMAGE. No bp for me. And now I am better, gentle care with natural elements.

I guess that's all. I know it works for a lot of people, so if it works keep using it. I'm just describing what it did for me. :(

I took a month-long break or so from BP when I ran out of Dan's gel and couldn't afford new stuff. My overall skin condition actually declined and I got far more inflamed AND comedonal acne. I guess my skin just loves BP.

I'm not super prone to red marks, but I do have one that seemed to fade a bit more once I stopped BP, but that could have simply been a time thing.

Just stopped a little over a week ago, I was on Duac (5% BP and 1%Clindamycin) I stopped because my acne slowed down and I was so frusterated with my whole chin and forehead with red marks and had a lot of clogged pores that were turning to pimples. I stopped and shifted over to Paula's Choice BHA 1% and next weekend I'll step-up to 2%. So far it's amazing! No new breakouts on my forehead in a week - a mircale. My redmarks have DEFINATLY gone way down in just a week, I know people will argue that 'oh it's because it was their time to go' I've had them since I started Duac 6months ago and suddenly they're actually starting to show signs of going away :dance:

I used bp for about 6 years, it kept me totally clear for a long time but then it seemed to not work as good. I stopped using it about 7 months ago cause it wasn't working that great and my skin was looking dull and the red marks weren't going away. I used to have acne all over mostly my cheeks but then I was getting those weird little bumps on my forehead. I'm basically 100% clear now. I still get liltte tiny whiteheads 1 or 2 but I can actually go a couple weeks without getting anything! The little spots I do get aren't even noticable and go away in a couple days. I never thought my skin would look this good again. It will take time for your skin to get used to not constantly having bp on it. After 2-3 months off bp I really started seeing improvement as in way less acne and redmarks. I attribute my good results to stopping bp, stopping liquid makeup, eating more healthier, more fruits and veggies, steaming and the dip method, and acv and aloe vera.

I went on a week break from BP about 6-8 weeks ago and am still dealing with the aftermath. I HATE BP!! It drys out my face, brightens up my o so lovely redmarks, and after using it for over 10 years is probably causeing the wrinkles I'm starting to see more and more on my forehead.

But it seems to be the only thing that keeps my acne in check. I did everything else in my regimin - just no BP. By the end of the week i started seeing zits pop up.. I started back with the BP agian and by then it was too late - full blown acne attack. By the end of the next week came the cysts... I'm still dealing with the left overs from that. I basically needed to start over. It was sooo frustrating too cause my skin looked so good before i stopped the BP too. It was 95% clear. I guess I'm just stuck with it for now.

Hi Mandy

When I was using BP, and it was working for me, it made my red marks really stick around. Then I became allergic or something, and stopped - and my skin felt sooo healthy and calm and the red/brown spots started to fade a lot - then I started breaking out like crazy cause I couldn't use the BP, so I am on Accutane now...

What is your current regimen and are you thinking of switching?

Well I had to stop using it because I used too much at the beginning and I have pretty sensitive skin. I'd consider my acne mild to moderate, but persistent. My skin right now is no longer feeling hot/inflamed because of the BP and my face feels less congested.

I don't get redmarks (I don't think), I have facial redness at certain locations on my face -- mostly the facial hair regions and around my nose, but I'm sure this isn't because of stopping BP. I've had this shit on and off for as long as I can remember.

Stopped using BP in November because I started Accutane. Redmarks haven't cleared yet.

Well I had to stop using it because I used too much at the beginning and I have pretty sensitive skin. I'd consider my acne mild to moderate, but persistent. My skin right now is no longer feeling hot/inflamed because of the BP and my face feels less congested.

I don't get redmarks (I don't think), I have facial redness at certain locations on my face -- mostly the facial hair regions and around my nose, but I'm sure this isn't because of stopping BP. I've had this shit on and off for as long as I can remember.