Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
vkn1

The psychological effects

I'm sure the concerns, controversy, etc over the possible link between depression and Accutane has been discussed here ad nauseum. However, one basic question I have doesn't seem to be answered anywhere that I can find:

Does the possible link between the two only apply during the months of treatment and maybe for a limited time period afterwards, or do a lot of people feel that it's possible that there are permanent psychological effects attributable to the drug?

That is, are people feeling that they have been more depressed and/or anxiety-prone ever since they took Accutane years prior, or are the effects something people have reported mostly feeling only during the treatment itself?

No, and i wish u wouldn't ask. But i'm sure some ppl will debate it has. Its this simple: it cannot be proved. If u can't link the two u shouldn't ask. I'm not getting prsnl at u, but this shit keeps the idiots that debate accutane supplied with new arguments.

Its a big mountain to climb, but if we can keep any psychological blah blah fucking-blah from entering these forums, the attitude will eventually be moulded into society and accutane will no longer be such a pain in the arse to be prescribed 4. One day we will live in a wrld where GP's will legally prescribe accutane without hassle. Wouldn't that be nice......

It is true, it can't be linked.

However, speaking from my own experience, I didn't have any psychological side effects. But then again, I've always been reluctant to accept that medicane can effect my mind and behavior.

Plus, I think accutane can be easily blamed for things. Everyone experiences some saddness from day to day. I don' t think it would be fair to blame it on a medicine, when it would have happened anyway. IMO

But physically what happens, is that accutane drys up all the excess oil in your body. This puts stress on the brain in someway(If I understand right, my derm explained this to me a while ago.). When you quit accutane the oil slowly comes back. Less stress? :shrug: I think it depends on the person and how much they are willing to contribute their cognitions to taking a few pills a day.

No, and i wish u wouldn't ask. But i'm sure some ppl will debate it has. Its this simple: it cannot be proved. If u can't link the two u shouldn't ask. I'm not getting prsnl at u, but this shit keeps the idiots that debate accutane supplied with new arguments.

Its a big mountain to climb, but if we can keep any psychological blah blah fucking-blah from entering these forums, the attitude will eventually be moulded into society and accutane will no longer be such a pain in the arse to be prescribed 4. One day we will live in a wrld where GP's will legally prescribe accutane without hassle. Wouldn't that be nice......

I suffered depression and I think I still have a touch of it. I also developed ADD during the course and I also think I still have a touch of it. Granted, the two are not NEARLY as bad as when I was on the drug, but I can tell that I'm not 100% the person I was before accutane.

It is true, it can't be linked.

However, speaking from my own experience, I didn't have any psychological side effects. But then again, I've always been reluctant to accept that medicane can effect my mind and behavior.

Plus, I think accutane can be easily blamed for things. Everyone experiences some saddness from day to day. I don' t think it would be fair to blame it on a medicine, when it would have happened anyway. IMO

But physically what happens, is that accutane drys up all the excess oil in your body. This puts stress on the brain in someway(If I understand right, my derm explained this to me a while ago.). When you quit accutane the oil slowly comes back. Less stress? :shrug: I think it depends on the person and how much they are willing to contribute their cognitions to taking a few pills a day.

I'm in my sixth month. I've taken a huge dose. My current dose is 120mg and I'm only 105lbs. My cumulitive dose will be about 250mg/kg. That being said I did experience a major depressive episode, and my first ever depressive psychosis, during my fifth and sixth months. really I may have even been depressed during the beginning of my course, or before I started....I don't know...I spent half my life being depressed....I didn't even know it was depression......depression feels normal to me.........

During the most recent depression I had all the normal symptoms of what I'd call one of my "funks" (that's what I called depression). I was full of anger and rage. I'd snap at people, yell a lot and break things....I'd feel the need to sleep 14 hours a day.....then all of a sudden I couldn't sleep at all....my mind was racing. I was plauged with anxiety.........I started feeling the desire to hurt or punish myself. I became delusional and believed everyting was my fault, even little stupid things...and things out of my conttrol like traffic jams.......

It progressed to the point of hearing voices and seeing things......that's when I got some help......

Turns out I'm bipolar. I was in a depressive psychosis.....I've also had manic episodes before. During one I can go a week without sleeping and make stupid decisions (like spending way too much money, or driving way too fast,). I become really social and outgoing, and really productive at work....unitl my attention span becomes so shrot it takes me three hours to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich., or I'll get in my car and start driving and a minute later I'll have no idea where I was going............I also have ADD but ADD alone doesn't do that.....These would happen years before I even had acne, so they had nothing to do with the Accutane....

It's no suprise that it turned out that I was bipolar....my father and sister are too....

Did Accutane make me bipolar....I doubt it.....but I think it helped it make it more apparant..........

I'm on meds that see to be working.....I feel better than I have in years.......plus I finish my Accutane course on Wedensday!!!!!!

Has anyone found exercise to be effective for combating the lethargy/inability to focus ? I have ADD myself (not hyperactivity just the opposite) and I am finding this lethargic state to be very difficult when attempting to do work that requires any kind of real thinking or mental strain and to think im only on day 10 lol. I have a feeling my grades are really going to suffer. Thanks guys.

Has anyone found exercise to be effective for combating the lethargy/inability to focus ? I have ADD myself (not hyperactivity just the opposite) and I am finding this lethargic state to be very difficult when attempting to do work that requires any kind of real thinking or mental strain and to think im only on day 10 lol. I have a feeling my grades are really going to suffer. Thanks guys.

I actually have one of those natrual light sun bulbs in the lamp by the computer its been a god send for the winter blues. I guess I will have to get my ass to the gym and start working out again because at the moment all I want to do is sleep and throw a temper tantrum (im that exhausted). I'll have a look into that tea as well thanks.

I'm sure the concerns, controversy, etc over the possible link between depression and Accutane has been discussed here ad nauseum. However, one basic question I have doesn't seem to be answered anywhere that I can find:

Does the possible link between the two only apply during the months of treatment and maybe for a limited time period afterwards, or do a lot of people feel that it's possible that there are permanent psychological effects attributable to the drug?

That is, are people feeling that they have been more depressed and/or anxiety-prone ever since they took Accutane years prior, or are the effects something people have reported mostly feeling only during the treatment itself?

Had I not experienced severe joint pain, I am 100% sure that exercise would have helped combat the fatigue. Work it, Poodle. It will up your endorphins and you will feel gooooood.