Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Novalie

Tazorac cream vs. gel

I have a derm appt on Wed and I'm going to ask her for a Taz perscription for acne scars. I don't have any active acne, so I'm hoping that she is going to be willing to give me the rx for Taz. I went on the Taz website and it doesn't say anything about using it for scarring - has anyone encountered a derm who was unwilling to perscribe Taz when it was requested for scars?

Also, should I ask for the cream or the gel? Which is more effective on acne scars?

And, does Taz work well for atrophic (pitted) scars as well as hypertrophic (raised) scars?

Thanks!!!!!!! :dance:

As far as I know, Taz has very miniscule if any effect on scars - it's mainly for active acne. You may want to do a search on here for that and other scar treatments before posting a new topic.

Thank you for your concern, but I did do a search and I read through hundreds of posts. I didn't read anywhere where someone definately said if the cream was better than the gel or vice versa. So I decided to post a thread about it. Hope that's okay with you.

Sorry, I just read my last post and it was very snotty. I must be in a bad mood :doh:

But if anyone else would offer their opinion, I would love to hear it! Thanks :angel:

I don't think it matters if its cream or gel, it should do the same thing. I thinking of getting tazorac too.

as was said, the gel has vit c in it, so it is better. you should massage the the gel into the scar rather firmly to help it penetrate and to loosen up the scar tissue.

I've read that the gel is better. There was a member on here that swore by it. She overused the taz...day and night...and claimed that it dramatically reduced her scars. Try running a search on "overusing taz" or something like that. I think her name was hunter. Anyhow, I tried it for about two weeks and it left me extremely red and sclay, so now I only use it every other night.

Argh! Just got back from the derm...she gave me a rx for Taz gel (I had to convince her - she kept telling me that it was used for acne, not scars). I immediately took it to the pharmacy and my insurance won't cover it! A 100g tube would cost me $430 w/out insurance!!

Did anyone else have this problem with their insurance not covering it? (I have BlueCross BlueShield)

The pharmacist said that I have to have my doc call my insurance company and tell them that it is medically necessary in order for it to be covered. Do you think that's possible? I mean, it's not medically necessary so I don't see how it's going to be covered...

Novalie, with all due respect, I don't understand why you would argue with your doctor about Taz's purpose and take the word of anonymous internet posters over your doctor's informed opinion. Please don't take anything written here as gospel. If it's a vit c cream you're seeking, I'm sure you can find that in a pure form. Or better yet, some of the other scar treatments mentioned on here.

With that said, Taz IS good for wrinkles and general skin smoothness due to its exfoliating properties. What kind of pharmacy did you take it to and what sort of insurance plan do you have? **Read your insurance benefits.** Do you have a Costco near you by any chance? Their price for me was very similar before and after I presented by insurance info - around $100. Alternatively, you can purchase it from one of the many Canadian internet pharmacies for about half the price.

Argh! Just got back from the derm...she gave me a rx for Taz gel (I had to convince her - she kept telling me that it was used for acne, not scars). I immediately took it to the pharmacy and my insurance won't cover it! A 100g tube would cost me $430 w/out insurance!!

Did anyone else have this problem with their insurance not covering it? (I have BlueCross BlueShield)

The pharmacist said that I have to have my doc call my insurance company and tell them that it is medically necessary in order for it to be covered. Do you think that's possible? I mean, it's not medically necessary so I don't see how it's going to be covered...

I order my .1% Retin-A cream from an online Canadian pharmacy. They take U.S. prescriptions and the price is incredible.

doctors will not prescribe tazorac for scars, but that does not mean it will not help. there is no money in the prescribing or not much for them. also, it takes a year or more to get smoothing with it and you probably need to use it more than is recommended.

it made me very red and irritated when first using. go slow, wash it off after 10 minutes. then build up from there.

i suppose i should i add that taz does help smoothe out scars but you should still look into other treatments like TCA cross or the smoothebeam if the scarring is mild to medium. remember with TCA cross you will not look pretty while the collagen is building up so the downtime is a tradeoff otherwise good luck... also maybe ask for Ziana which is an antibiotic and retinoid in one... this should help the skin and i think the doctors do get an incentive for prescribing this since its new... remember to always ask your doctor

Taz is really good for drying your skin out beyond belief. If you have been able to get rid of scars that way, go for it. Otherwise, you're asking for flaky dry skin.

the skin flakes because the taz increases the skin turnover ratio. if someone is too sensitive to taz they should try ziana which is more mild.

Novalie, with all due respect, I don't understand why you would argue with your doctor about Taz's purpose and take the word of anonymous internet posters over your doctor's informed opinion.