Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shannon C.

My new prescriptions

My dermatologist started me on a few different prescriptions yesterday: Differin, Duac and Doryx. She wants to start me on Accutane but I HAVE to be on birth control first because God knows they can't take my word on the fact that I'm not going to get pregnant. So I have to get birth control, be on that for 30 days and then she wants me to come in in about 6 weeks and get on Accutane. All in all this will likely cost me at least $150 a month seeing as I don't have insurance, so since $130 of that is due to Accutane ($50 for the Accutane, $70 for the monthly required blood and pregnancy tests), a prescription I'm wary of to begin with, I'm going to hope that I see an improvement from the stuff I'm already on - including Yaz at that point.

Has anyone here used one of the three that I'm already using, or Yaz? What were your results and how long did they take to become apparent?

I'm really hoping to not have to spend $130+BCP a month just to be on Accutane.

So far (one night) my skin has cleared a tiny bit. It's probably coincidence but I think I'll keep telling myself it's the Differin/Duac telling me that they want to help. :)

$150/month without insurance for accutane, that's a really good deal!

Perhaps but that doesn't change that fact that I could barely afford that on top of all of the other stuff that's going on in my life now.

Anyway I won't need it. Either the Differin or Duac is making my acne go away. I'm already at 50% of what I had before I started 2 days ago (plus I've been wearing make up and I'm PMSing - when my acne usually flares up). The antibiotics should begin to kick in in a week or so.

I might skip the birth control too. This seems to be working on it's own.

Well, 3 weeks later I'm completely clear and have been for about 2 weeks, EXCEPT for some cysts that I had from before I went on this stuff.

What's that stuff that they shoot cysts with? Is that remotely affordable ($50 a shot or less) without insurance? These cysts have no heads so I have no way of getting rid of them and one is right between my eye and the bridge of my nose, you know that area that dips in... Anyway they're not painful but quite large. Is there any other way to get rid of a cyst with no head?