Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I had a breakout a couple of months ago on my face. I started using Proactive Cleansing Wash (Salylic Acid) and my face has been dry since then. I just purchased proactive oil-free moisturizer but I am worried it is causing whiteheads (I hadn't had a whitehead for 2-3 weeks and now I have had 3 since I started using it a week ago). I using the proactive in the morning, wash my face in the middle the day with no soap (Just a washcloth), wash face at night and apple ACV. Any suggestions?

I've heard a lot of bad things about that cleanser!

If you want to treat your skin with SA, I think you are better off using a gentle, pH balanced cleanser with no active ingredients, and a leave-on SA product such as the Paula's Choice 2% BHA liquid or gel.

Read Snow Queen's pinned thread at the top of this forum for more good info on cleansers and moisturizers.

well, its either too much washing or its the cleanser, so you might want to just try and change a little something and see.

The parts where it is really dry are the parts where I don't apply the cleanser. Could it be that I am over washing or is it the ACV?

I have a suggestion. Please dont use proactiv! It is one of the worst treatments for acne. Most of the members on this site will tell you the same thing. You might want to do what Im gonna try, Paulas Choice

The problem with dry skin is that it is VERY slow to heal and recover, making the problem worse as time goes on. Most oil-free moisturizers suck, flat out. The best thing you can do is to use a good barrier product like Vaseline. Before you freak out, Vaseline (petrolatum) is totally non-comedogenic and totally safe (Kligman, a famous dermatologist conducted a study using vaseline and he found it actually improved acne).

WHat vaseline does is create a barrier that keeps the bad stuff out (environmental pollutants) and the good stuff in (moisture that your skin is losing to the atmosphere). SImply put, vaseline si like a giant band-aid you put on your skin that protects it ans let's it heal. It also accelerates healing so everything should heal faster than before. If you don't want to use the pure stuff, there are plenty of moisturizers with petrolatum (vaseline) or its derivitive, mineral oil.

The problem with dry skin is that it is VERY slow to heal and recover, making the problem worse as time goes on. Most oil-free moisturizers suck, flat out. The best thing you can do is to use a good barrier product like Vaseline. Before you freak out, Vaseline (petrolatum) is totally non-comedogenic and totally safe (Kligman, a famous dermatologist conducted a study using vaseline and he found it actually improved acne).

WHat vaseline does is create a barrier that keeps the bad stuff out (environmental pollutants) and the good stuff in (moisture that your skin is losing to the atmosphere). SImply put, vaseline si like a giant band-aid you put on your skin that protects it ans let's it heal. It also accelerates healing so everything should heal faster than before. If you don't want to use the pure stuff, there are plenty of moisturizers with petrolatum (vaseline) or its derivitive, mineral oil.

I'm going to try vaseline. I want to put it on before I go to bed but what about the ACV I use. Can I still put it in?

I'm going to try vaseline. I want to put it on before I go to bed but what about the ACV I use. Can I still put it in?

No. In fact, since I started using it, my clogged pores have disappeared. Vaseline is found to be totally non-comedogenic.

medicated cleansers are worthless. The product isn't on your face long enough to be effective and most probably aren't ph balanced for exfoliation(important). If you want SA< get a leave on product. As far as cleaners go, anything non-medicated will do. The job of a cleanser is to remove excess oil dirt, and makeup. That's it. I find baby washes to be cheap and very effective.