Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mr d rok

What AHA product do you recommend?

Hey guys,

Basically, i've run out of 2.5% BP, and i'll be about 2 weeks without any BP products, since i can't find OTS anywhere. But at the same time, i've basically chosen the "do nothing" approach for several reasons, as listed in another topic. All i do is cleanse very gently and quickly with cetaphil, and then a small dab of cetaphil or complex15 moisturizer. That's it. Now without getting into the details of why i chose this, i want to know if i should use some sort of exfoliating product.

1. What AHA product would you recommend and why? So far im leaning towards either the (Alpha Hydrox AHA Enhanced Lotion) or (Neutrogena Healthy Skin).

2. Should i even be using an AHA product? I've done the regime for 3 weeks, but active topical user for years. I truly think my face needs a break from all this shit, and i believe it will benefit (reasons can be listed if request).

3. How often should i use this product? I realize what this product does, and also how powerful it can be.

4. Is there a gentler way to exfoliate? My skin is not dry at all, but i'm sure exfoliating could help. Keep in mind i have a small handful of active acne, but more redmarks/blotchiness/irritation then anything. COuld i even downgrade the strength with mixing it with another moisturizer?

Thanks in advance!

I ordered glycolic acid wash few days ago. Hope I'll get it soon and it'll work.

The AHA Alpha Hydrox Enhanced lotion is stronger than Neutrogena Healthy Skin Face Lotion, and I'm not sure if its base is as moisturizing or not. I can personally vouch for the awesomeness that is NHSFL night formula. I'd start out using an AHA at night, but reduce that to every other night if you need to at first and then go back to once a night. You probably don't need to be using it twice a day, especially with such strong AHAs. I'm not sure if it will help with your acne, but it should improve your overall skin tone and red marks and generally make your skin look better/healthier aside from acne. Dan likes to spot treat pimples with AHA, though I've always stuck with BP for spot treatment. This is probably the gentlest way to exfoliate, I find it gentler than manual methods since I don't have to scrub or scratch at my skin.

1. What AHA product would you recommend and why? So far im leaning towards either the (Alpha Hydrox AHA Enhanced Lotion) or (Neutrogena Healthy Skin).

This depends on what you're looking for exactly. If you want something that will reduce any red marks and even out skin tone noticeably, then you'll probably want to use a product containing glycolic acid. Of the two AHAs commonly used to treat acne-prone skin, glycolic acid contains much smaller particles, and therefore penetrates more deeply into your skin. The alternative is lactic acid, which will be gentler, so you may want to consider that if you're going for the "do-nothing" approach.

2. Should i even be using an AHA product? I've done the regime for 3 weeks, but active topical user for years. I truly think my face needs a break from all this shit, and i believe it will benefit (reasons can be listed if request).

It's up to you, really. AHAs can be beneficial in "cleaning up" your skin. They'll smooth things out and reduce blemishes left by acne. The flip-side is that they can be harsh.

3. How often should i use this product? I realize what this product does, and also how powerful it can be.

You'll have to experiment on yourself, and adjust to compensate. For example, I use Neutrogena Healthy Skin, the 8% formula, and I can only use a tiny bit once a day. If I use more, it dries my skin out and causes flaking. This tiny bit, however, does wonders for my skin and makes the bottle last forever.

4. Is there a gentler way to exfoliate? My skin is not dry at all, but i'm sure exfoliating could help. Keep in mind i have a small handful of active acne, but more redmarks/blotchiness/irritation then anything. COuld i even downgrade the strength with mixing it with another moisturizer?

As for gentler ways to exfoliate, I don't think so. The two options are manual exfoliation and chemical exfoliation, and of the two, chemical is much less irritating. If you're worried about the strength but want to use glycolic acid (to have a noticeable effect on the red marks), try Neutrogena HSFL, but use the sensitive skin formula. It's either that one or the night formula that only has 4% glycolic acid. And if it's still too strong, buy a simple, non-medical, hydrating moisturizer to mix it with. I mixed the NHSFL with Cetaphil for a few months with wonderful results. Play around :D

I hope I've answered your questions. If you have any more, fire away!

Yes, those are the two. The day lotion is 8% glycolic acid, the night lotion is 4% (I think. There's a sensitive-skin version that might be the 4%).

Yup, those are the night and day formulas for NHSFL. I prefer to order from amazon.com because they sell discounted two-packs, and if you bump your order over $25 (get a book or something, or maybe another product you want to test out) you get free shipping. Some drugstores and big everything stores don't always have the night version but they will have the day. I've managed to find the night version at Target before, though.

i've read great reviews on makeupalley.com for walgreens 8% AHA lotion.. I am going to try it I think for my redmarks.

I think they are still at my walgreens hopefully... I seen them stocked up there during the summer, so im crossing my fingers that they still have it :pray: