Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Yoshimi

how can you tell if your skin is sun-damaged?

hello fellow members! :dance:

i'm new to the boards even though i've been lurking around for quite some time now. ok, so here's the scenario: i've had very mild acne for as long as i can remember, so i ended up finding acne.org! i decided to give the CSR a go because i honestly had nothing to lose! i tried everything in the past: neutrogena, clearasil, proactiv, etc. needless to say, nothing really worked! so i started the CSR in 2003 and it had pretty much kept my skin flawlessly clear for more than 3 years. i didn't even have an initial breakout or anything when i first started. my skin just started to get better and better each day and what do you know? i had clear, beautiful skin! anyhoot, something happened last august. i started to get tiny little pimples here and there that would just sit on my face for a while and then turn into full blown zits! after doing some research on the boards, i came to the conclusion that they're called comedones. in the past i've only had pustules so i didn't and i still don't quite understand why all of a sudden i started to get comedones on my face. i also noticed that my skin scars now! whenever i'd get a pimple in the past, my skin would never scar! now when pimples go away, they leave small holes on my face!!! i have about 20 of these holes on my cheeks now which have all accumulated since august of last year! i go to hawaii a lot with my friends and within the past 3 years, i've gone to hawaii 4 times. i know this is bad but i never really put on enough sunblock on my face. i only dabbed on a tiny bit of neutrogena's oil free moisture with spf 15. :naughty: my face had gotten mildly sunburned due to not wearing sunblock in hawaii. my friends and i also went swimming like every day during summertime, and again i never really wore sunblock, and again i'd get mildly burned but i didn't care because i'd have a very nice tan afterwards. oh yeah, i also used to frequent tanning beds a lot during the summers, and i never wore sunblock or anything. so i guess my question is, do you think my skin is sun-damaged? do you think it's more prone to comedone formation and is scarring the way it is right now because it's sun-damaged? from what i've gathered, sun-damaged skin has a slower cell turnover rate which could be the reason why i'm getting comedones, right? because my skin is unable to properly exfoliate itself? is sun-damaged skin more susceptible to scarring? because i swear all the pimples i'm getting leave behind nasty scars! please someone help me! i'm so desperate at this point! i stopped using CSR in mid february because the BP was not stopping the comedones from coming. i also started to use paula's choice 2% bha lotion about 2 or so weeks ago. is there anything else i can do right now? how does one repair sun-damaged skin? someone please help me!

p.s. sorry this post is so long but i'm really depressed these days because my skin looks the way it does. i don't even go out with my friends anymore because i'm so embarrassed!

Yosh

do you think my skin is sun-damaged? do you think it's more prone to comedone formation and is scarring the way it is right now because it's sun-damaged? from what i've gathered, sun-damaged skin has a slower cell turnover rate which could be the reason why i'm getting comedones, right? because my skin is unable to properly exfoliate itself? is sun-damaged skin more susceptible to scarring? because i swear all the pimples i'm getting leave behind nasty scars! please someone help me! i'm so desperate at this point! i stopped using CSR in mid february because the BP was not stopping the comedones from coming. i also started to use paula's choice 2% bha lotion about 2 or so weeks ago. is there anything else i can do right now? how does one repair sun-damaged skin? someone please help me!

This sounds very familiar. i had 90% clear skin with the CSR for like 3 or 4 years , started at a similar time around 2003. In 2006 had a worse breakout than usual so decided to change BP to dans gel. Worked brilliantly for a month, clearest skin i ever had. Was so happy i was out and enjoying the sunshine as i had just finished studying at uni, around a month later I started to get clogged pores but lots of them down my temples and spreading to my cheeks. I also got really awful breakouts on my forehead. From then my skins been really bad, every zit leaves a mark or scar which never used to happen, I put it all down to changing Bps so i quit the CSR completely and have been off it for 6 months. Maybe it was the 6 weeks off relaxing in the sun with very little sunblock and full Bp useage that has caused these problems... especially the scarring?

Holy cow! I think I have the same exact problem as you, Yoshimi! I never even thought to attribute my skin condition (mild comedones) to sun-damaged skin, though!! Just like you, I was crystal clear thanks to DKR for years, and after years of playing in the sun and not wearing any sunscreen, I started to form comedones (something I've never, ever, ever had in the past) in October last year! All this time, I blamed my skin breaking out to birth control pills, as I coincidentally started breaking out when I stopped taking the pills. But now, sun-damaged skin attributing to my comedones makes perfect sense to me!! Just like you, my skin now has more of a tendency to scar, which sucks hairy balls because I NEVER used to scar!! I'm also using Paula's Choice BHA; it's been a little over three weeks, and I am seeing some improvement, but nothing major. Does anyone know which products help repair the skin's cell turnover rate, besides Green Cream? I'm a starving student, and I don't think I can afford Green Cream for regular maintenance. I think I've read somewhere that vitamins E and C help sun-damaged skin. Is this true? Do BHAs and AHAs help, as well? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

-Denise

Denise .... I suggest reading Lorrie's pinned thread on AHAs and BHAs at the top of this forum ... it's a good starting point in answering your questions.

Denise .... I suggest reading Lorrie's pinned thread on AHAs and BHAs at the top of this forum ... it's a good starting point in answering your questions.

Is anyone familiar with Neutrogena Healthy Skin Anti-Wrinkle Cream? It has retinol in it, and I think I need to incorporate retinol into my regimen because I'm pretty sure that I have sun-damaged skin. Any input would be nice! Thanks!

Denise, just PMed you.

That Neutrogena product has only a tiny amount of retinol in it .... 0.075%. It doesn't even list retinol as an active ingredient, as I recall.

thanks everyone for your response!

hey lionqueen, did you always have comedones and your spain trip just made them worse, or did you get comedones for the first time after your spain trip? i started developing comedones for the first time in my life last year. i had no idea the sun could do so much damage to my skin. if only i had known, i definitely would have taken the proper precautions and wore a sunscreen. i guess better late than never. i think for now i'm just going to stick with the AHA and hopefully i won't need anything stronger. i'm also getting into the habit of wearing sunscreen everyday, so hopefully that'll help in the long run.

is there any way to help regenerate healthy skin cells besides applying retinol or tretinoin? if i wear sunscreen every day, will my skin cells start regenerating more healthily? or is a topical needed to produce healthy skin cells. i guess what i'm trying to get at is, is a retinol or tretinoin product completely necessary to restore skin cells, and can damaged skin cells regenerate themselves in a healthy fashion? please let me know if you can. thanks a lot!

this board rocks! :dance:

hey lionqueen, did you always have comedones and your spain trip just made them worse, or did you get comedones for the first time after your spain trip?

Well, you know if your face is sun damaged if its blotchy and tender, and of course you might also have a few sun spots.

Repairing damaged skin? If an intense moisturizer isn't working you might want to consider going to the derm.

lionqueen, i just took a look at skinbiology.com and their products look great. have you used any products containing copper peptides? does this stuff have enough scientific research behind it? i'd be interested in trying their products out, especially the ones pertaining to scar reduction, but i'm hoping this stuff isn't mumbo jumbo crap! :wacko: is anyone on these boards familiar with these products? :D

--yosh

I don't think the products are crap, I just don't think everyone has success with them.

I used Super CP Serum to treat a scar that was about a year old. It was a weird scar .... several little pits connected by fissures. It was definitely sun damage-related.

After a couple of months of daily CP Serum use, I noticed the scar changing color .... it was getting darker, sort of purple-colored, and seemed to be getting raised. This continued for a week or so .... and then a bunch of damaged tissue purged completely out of it, leaving it looking red and raw ..... like a fresh wound instead of a scar.

I continued treating it with CP serum and emu oil until it healed. It didn't heal perfectly ... I still had an indentation in my skin ... but all of the scar tissue was completely gone.

I was told by the folks over at the Diana Yvonne skincare board that this was unusually fast for getting rid of scar tissue with CPs .... but there are a lot of CP users over there if you want to check out the board. www.dianayvonne.com

Also, if you search under CP Serum or SuperCop or copper peptides in the Scar forum on this board, you should be able to come up with more info.

I don't think the products are crap, I just don't think everyone has success with them.

I used Super CP Serum to treat a scar that was about a year old. It was a weird scar .... several little pits connected by fissures. It was definitely sun damage-related.

After a couple of months of daily CP Serum use, I noticed the scar changing color .... it was getting darker, sort of purple-colored, and seemed to be getting raised. This continued for a week or so .... and then a bunch of damaged tissue purged completely out of it, leaving it looking red and raw ..... like a fresh wound instead of a scar.

I continued treating it with CP serum and emu oil until it healed. It didn't heal perfectly ... I still had an indentation in my skin ... but all of the scar tissue was completely gone.

I was told by the folks over at the Diana Yvonne skincare board that this was unusually fast for getting rid of scar tissue with CPs .... but there are a lot of CP users over there if you want to check out the board. www.dianayvonne.com

Also, if you search under CP Serum or SuperCop or copper peptides in the Scar forum on this board, you should be able to come up with more info.

lol...before i expect to get any answers, i guess i should describe what my cheeks are like first. :lol: ok, so whenever i get a pesky comedone on my cheek (usually a white head) it'll just sit there for days, at times even weeks! finally, it'll come to a head, or at least i think it's a head. it's like a dried up yellow plug (i know, GROSS!) covering a hole or a pore. almost always this plug thingy will fall out on its own, or at times i'll accidentally rub it off while washing my face, but when it falls out, it leaves a nasty hole behind! is this a scar? or is this an enlarged pore? it's a small hole with no jagged edges or anything like that. i don't know how else to describe it. it's just a small, rounded hole. any help? thanks!

sounds like a pore to me. Have you tried paula's choice 8% AHA gel? from memory AHA is supposed to work well on sun-damaged skin, so you might want to give that a try (I can't remember how it helps your skin though).

I'm going to give it a go within the next few weeks. hmm... given that sun-damaged skin accumulates over time I supect my skin must be very sun damaged although it doesn't look like i have sun-damaged skin (if that makes sense). I'll give PC's AHA a try and see if it makes any difference or not.