Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
irideflatland

Should I use a prescription?

Right now I'm not using anything for my acne, I just put on lotion after I shave because my face gets dry. I would say I probably have moderate acne, it's not too bad but it's always there. I guess my mom talked to my sister's doctor at her appointment and she got the doctor to write me a prescription without seeing me. So my mom is getting it tomorrow but I don't know which prescription it is.

Do you think I should use it or should I stay away from it because I'm not too bothered by my acne right now? Or does it depend on which prescription it is?

I don't know how someone could diagnose and prescribe medicine without actually seeing the person first. Definitely see what it is first before you use it...it may be something topical, but it could also be oral...I would recommend researching it/contacting the doctor before you begin to use it.

I'm really not sure how a GP could prescribe anything for you without seeing it. Are you sure the medication is actually for you? and that your mum hasn't just gotten two lots of what your sister is using? (if thats what she was at the doc's for). If not, then don't be surprised if the treatment is relatively mild. I doubt they'd prescribe you something strong without seeing you.

I'm really not sure how a GP could prescribe anything for you without seeing it. Are you sure the medication is actually for you? and that your mum hasn't just gotten two lots of what your sister is using? (if thats what she was at the doc's for). If not, then don't be surprised if the treatment is relatively mild. I doubt they'd prescribe you something strong without seeing you.

My sister was on some antibiotic for a few months, and at the beginning my mom tried to get the doctor to write a prescription for me as well. But the doctor said no. Now my sister went back because it wasn't working, so she is getting a different prescription. My mom told the doctor that my acne was worse than my sister's, so the doctor prescribed something for me too this time. I'm pretty sure it's some sort of pill, but I'll find out today.

if it's a pill it's probably an antibiotic, most likely minocin or doxycycline. you should at least use some BP topically as well.

just take it, even if you do drink milk, just don't take the pill with the milk. it should help somewhat although tetracycline is usually the least effective of all the *cyclines