Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Weedman

I had my first IPL session for red marks

OK, as promised in another thread i will keep you guys informed on how things are going with my IPL treatments for scars and res marks.

It's about 5 hours after my first treatment. They used a pretty strong setting for me and did my whole face. The areas where i have red marks (practically 3/4 of my face) are a slightly darker red than before i went for the treatment and the areas where my skin was relatively clear seem better. I was told that over the next few days the red marks should turn brown and a swell up a little and then flake off leaving them less red than before. It's kinda like when you scrape your arm and a brown crust forms, although a bit milder.

I noticed that immediately after the treatment some of my deep scars are much more even although its probably just cause they are a bit swollen, we'll see in a few days time.

I was given a cream to put on at home, biofine, its basically used for first and second degree burns.

I hope this works for me cause im all out of hope.

anyways, if you got any questions to ask feel free to do so, ill post my progress tomorrow.

day 2:

th red marks are still darker, a thin brown crust has formed in some places, i had a couple of freckles which just flaked off, overall my face is smother but its still to early to tell. The sunburn feeling has gone completely.

IPL is great :) How many treatments have you been advised you'll need and how frequent are you having them done? Are you very pale naturally? I would guess the deep scars are probably just swollen from the treatment right now...but IPL does promote some collagen production (however I think there are better options for the deep scars) But for red marks IPL is wonderful. And you always notice deep ones less when they aren't angry red :)

i have faily old redmarks and I am considering using this treatment, although i dont know if it is the most cost effective option. Anyone mind telling me the approximate cost per session? Im in the US. Thanks

ps. please keep us updated on your results, and good luck!

i have faily old redmarks and I am considering using this treatment, although i dont know if it is the most cost effective option. Anyone mind telling me the approximate cost per session? Im in the US. Thanks

ps. please keep us updated on your results, and good luck!

im glad it went well for you ruben!..how cool is it to see the freckles flake off? haha i have had 4 seesions mines mostly for broken capillaries though but i think i will book in for a full face ipl to remove more sun damage. im sure you will see an improvement best of luck with it all

updates:

day 4:

my skin is a bit smoother and some of the red marks did fade quite a bit. I'm starting to think that the smoothness is permanent cause if it was just swelling from the treatment then it should have subsided by now. Although my face is still covered with red marks its better than before and a little more even. The parts which turned brown are still brown and haven't flacked off till now(only minor flaking).

Ipl is also used to remove hair, but till now it hasent effected my facial hair. The therapist avoided the mustache area and under my chin purposely.

I guess the major difference should come when all that has to flake off has flaked off and the new skin has formed.

but till now id say as far as the mild scars are concerned( waviness in the skin and mild/moderate depressions) prob 40/45% better

red marks prob 30% better.

This treatment is not primarily aimed at reducing scarring there are other better lasers that are used for that which unfortunately aren't available here but IPL can help to produce more collagen which fills the scars in from underneat and the effect is permanent according to the doc.

I should have another on the 6th and after that maybe a good tca peel cause iv read good things about them.

day 5

so far so good, the redness has reduced some more, but still my skin hasent fully peeled. All in all id say that the treatment did work and it did help reducing the red marks and scarring. Defiantly better than loads of microdermabrasion sessions and cheaper.

This is very interesting to me - I'm having my first IPL treatment for freckles/red marks/general uneven skin tone at the end of the month.

Please keep updating! Also you say in one of your early posts that freckles you had flaked off, was this completely, also have you noticed any general improvement in your skin texture etc? And do you mind me asking how bad your red marks were in the first place?

Does IPL get rid of blackheads too? (not that I'm so concerned about those, but any normal products I've tried haven't done anything for those).

And does anyone know if there's any difference on how well it works if you have very pale skin naturally or not?

I can't wait til I get started on my course of IPL treatments.

edit: Also can you tell me how big the goggles you wear during the treatment are? Because the nurse I saw said I might still be left with a few freckles around my eyes as they can't go too close, but she would get as close as she could. I only have a small face though, I just hope the goggles aren't too huge...