Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Milly

have prescription but..

Been reading all your logs and as I sit here with Isotane (New Zealand name) prescription in hand I cannot bring myself to go to the pharmacy and get the pills.

I have moderate acne and at 33 I postively HATE my my skin. I am so fed up with crying about it and hiding if someone comes over unexpectedly and I have no make-up on. I long for clear skin.

BUT i am really scared about starting. I am so worried about the IB... when does it start and how long does it last? I have a family wedding in 4 weeks. I could quite likely be right in the middle of a face explosion - could I handle that? Oh the embarrassment of having photographs taken?!!!

Also how long is the course usually for moderate acne? 6 months?

Hopefully you can give me some positive feedback and help me make the right decision..........anxiously waiting

The sooner you start, the sooner you'll be CLEAR!! I'm starting tomorrow, and I'm nervous too, but I would say I'm more excited. Yes, I know the IB is going to suck, and the treatment itself may not be so pleasant, but having clear skin will be worth it, right? At 33 years of age, I'm sure you're ready to be done with acne once and for all. Good luck! You have a whole community here that's pullin' for ya.

THANK YOU for the words of encouragement! You're right...at 33 I am sick of it. I want to have a few years of clear skin before I have to seriously start worrying about wrinkles!

My prescription is for 20mg daily for 1 month then 40mg daily for a month. Do you think the low dosage means I may not break out as bad in my first month?

THANK YOU for the words of encouragement! You're right...at 33 I am sick of it. I want to have a few years of clear skin before I have to seriously start worrying about wrinkles!

My prescription is for 20mg daily for 1 month then 40mg daily for a month. Do you think the low dosage means I may not break out as bad in my first month?

THank you for your thoughts...valued and appreciated!

Here in NZ it seems we do it somewhat differently in regards to prescriptions.... I simply rock on up to the pharmacy to get my pills and take the bloodtest after and then another blood test 6 weeks later before I see my Dermatologist again.

I have heard everyone talking about Ipledge... what is this?

Luck you! Ugh...only if it were that simple. Well, it's a program to help prevent pregnancy in, of course, women on Accutane. The baby, exposed to isotretinoin, will have severe birth defects. So basically, ipledge requires that: 1) the patient use 2 forms of contraceptives. 2) Patient and doctor need to register and answer monthly questions. And 3) We get a bloodtest and pregnancy test done each month, before we're allowed to get our prescription filled (in a certain window of time).

I have read and understand the risks of getting pregnant whilst on the drug... infact I think it may be the same here (monthly blood tests) as I have 2 forms for blood tests. I don't feel my dermatologist has informed thoroughly in regards to getting pills, tests done etc.

I already have an 8 month son and hope to begin trying for another baby once I finish my course. Does anyone know how long before all traces of the drug has left your system and you CAN begin trying to get pregnant safely? Does tane affect fertility at all?

I have read and understand the risks of getting pregnant whilst on the drug... infact I think it may be the same here (monthly blood tests) as I have 2 forms for blood tests. I don't feel my dermatologist has informed thoroughly in regards to getting pills, tests done etc.

I already have an 8 month son and hope to begin trying for another baby once I finish my course. Does anyone know how long before all traces of the drug has left your system and you CAN begin trying to get pregnant safely? Does tane affect fertility at all?

I took 4 courses of Accutane with 2 kids inbetween. I wouldn't even start trying to get pregnant until 3 months after the course is over. Why risk it? Scary.

Milly, I think it is nine days after you stop the drug is out of your system...However, I am no derm so really make sure that is correct before you try to get pregnant because it can caus severe birth defects. I just know that you cannot give blood for nine days after you stopped and then you can so seems to make sense.

I did 40mg's for 3 weeks, then 50mg's for 1 week, and all I can say is that I look slightly better than when I started. I had an initial breakout around 2 weeks, when my acne was at it's worst, and then it calmed down, and now I'm experiencing steady improvement.

I think most people will experience a breakout around week 2. After a month of accutane you might still get zits, but it definitly won't be worse then if you didn't take accutane at all. I think if you read a few logs, people might mention that they get new zits while on day <insert random day here>. But OVERALL, you'll keep looking better.

Just remember accutane means no alcohol, and you have to avoid bright sunlight as well!

And the course can take anywhere between 5 and 12 months, and you can't really predict how long it's gonna take. Usually it's 6 months, but don't hope for anything. Your derm might tell you the last day you need an extra 2 months of accutane... It's always a possible scenario.

I was on 20mg to start and my IB wasnt bad at ALL. Dont stress about it and to be honest within my first month i have actually noticed results of clearing. Go get that prescription filled right now. The minor side effects you MAY expirence are SO worth it because when you are done...CLEAR SKIN is the only memory you will have of accutane.