Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

After a bit of breakdown a few weeks ago I went back on my prescribed Anafranil for OCD and Depression. I had not taken it since October or so. The problem I am undergoing is one of the issues I had before. I feel numb and I don’t feel like myself. I am to the point where I may have to start avoiding my friends and family because I feel like another person. I do not feel that I have bad characteristics feeling this way but I just don’t feel right. Should I get off the meds? Get the dosage upped? The problem is if I am off my meds, I do other things such as drinking heavily to medicate myself or cutting myself to cope. So I guess my question is, it better to feel like a numbed weirdo or to feel like I am constantly going to have a mental breakdown?

The other side effects of the meds include yawning all the time and sleeping ten hours a days although my appetite finally came back.

I'm on Zoloft for depression and stuff and I feel okay. I don't know how I would of got through the depression without it. Maybe your meds aren't the right one for you?

Guest Pieces Mended
After a bit of breakdown a few weeks ago I went back on my prescribed Anafranil for OCD and Depression. I had not taken it since October or so. The problem I am undergoing is one of the issues I had before. I feel numb and I don’t feel like myself. I am to the point where I may have to start avoiding my friends and family because I feel like another person. I do not feel that I have bad characteristics feeling this way but I just don’t feel right. Should I get off the meds? Get the dosage upped? The problem is if I am off my meds, I do other things such as drinking heavily to medicate myself or cutting myself to cope. So I guess my question is, it better to feel like a numbed weirdo or to feel like I am constantly going to have a mental breakdown?

The other side effects of the meds include yawning all the time and sleeping ten hours a days although my appetite finally came back.

1) I stopped cold turkey and I lied to my doctor saying I weaned off.

2) 100 MG

3) I was okay but some the side effects bother me. However when I get in these phases where I feel like I am going to have a breakdown I need the medication.

I know you already know that getting off your meds is a BAD idea. You have depression and OCD ..same as me and they will never, ever go away. Getting off your meds won't help at all I don't think..you may still be adjusting to them though. Talk to your dr. about how you're feeling.

Guest Pieces Mended
1) I stopped cold turkey and I lied to my doctor saying I weaned off.

2) 100 MG

3) I was okay but some the side effects bother me. However when I get in these phases where I feel like I am going to have a breakdown I need the medication.

i was on anti dep and anti anxieties for 2 years. i just said screw it and i am off them now. turns out i am pretty much the same, those meds did nothing for me!

i don't know what to recommend for you, can you take counselling? just speaking can help order your thoughts.

good luck man, polka

Thanks everybody for your replies. I go to therapy every Monday on my lunch break as my therapist is around three blocks from where I work. I bumped myself up to 150 mg last night. I was fine all day today. I only took 100mg tonight. I'll have to go back to the MD who prescribes me pills and I'll have to work something out with my dosage.

Ami, I don't know if you want to reveal this in public but what form of OCD do you have? Mine is in the form of obsessive thoughts. I will get something in my head and it just takes me over. Most of the times it is something that isn't even real, like I will believe someone I love doesn't love me anymore or something like that.

May I just ask, do you ever see a positive day? Do you try to encourage yourself to have happy thoughts and not those of saddness? I know a lot about depression and i had it gfor many years but in the end I feel, that it was up to me, not a doctor, nor a therapist to see the light about how I was destroying my life. I know it is mainly to do with a chemical imbalance in the brain or PTS ( POST TRAUMATIC STRESS) but if you don't help yourself, then there is no amount of therapy etc that will help you. Of course in life we will feel down and that is just part of life in general. Sadness, joy, elation, anger and all the other emotions we experience are only harmful to us if we dont try to grasp why we are experiencing them. For example, If you pass and exam, you feel great as you will have put the work and effort into the results. The same notion applies to depression, the more you put into your own well being, the more likely the results will be rewarding. If yiou have a bad day, try to think of the bits of the day that made you smile, even if it is just watching tv, it is all the little things that equal a true sense of belief, happiness and release. I wish you all the best. x ( And as 4 your posts on the ladies, calm down! there is someone for everyone, take a step back and get yourself to a place in your mind and then, I promise, you will see how your whole dynamics of relationships change)

Depression (Major Depressive Disorder) will not go away by itself, assuming that it's not situational and you're out of puberty (over the age of 23). Same with OCD. They can get better with medication and cognitve behavioral therapy. But they don't go away. That's a lot of pressure to expect to rid yourself of these two diseases for which you have absolutely no control over. But you can significantly improve your life and keep your depression and OCD in check and at bay.