Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
wondergirl

ADULT ACNE

Since I was a teenager I never had an acne problem... just the occasional pimple or two before my period or when I'm stressed. And now in my late twenties BLAH!!!!! ..... I'm suddenly afflicted with pimples that seemed to grow from bad to worse to worst in a matter of just a year!!!! I have yet to see a dermatologist and since Benzoyl Peroxide & Salycilic acid ( over the counter medicines) don't work for me I figured maybe its hormonal. I've used Diane 35 before for contraception so I used them again and finished a month's supply but nothing is happening....

To you ladies who have the same problem------ or whose acne flared when you got older, what have you tried and what works for you????? Hopefully I can find similar cases with mine and figure out what I'm doing wrong...... :-k #-o

Well mine hasn't emerged in my late twenties...it has has just carried on through from my teens sad.gif

I've used Diane on and off for many years...I'd say it had a small positive effect on my skin. Regimen has been the best thing for me.

My advice....stay away from skincare aimed at teenagers...you know clearsil, pure zone, neutrogena. I honestly think it is all shit...theyre always filled with dodgy ingredients. Look for good quality skincare that addresses you skin type rather than your acne. You could consider a range of treatments like antibotics, accutane and topical retinoids (hated retinoids myself). There are testtosterone blockers which a lot of women have had great sucess with...tho I've never used them so not sure what the criteria is for using them.

There are a few "matty" girl posters amongst the regulars. So no doubt you'll get some other answers.

Hope this is of some help.

I've used Diane 35 before for contraception so I used them again and finished a month's supply but nothing is happening....  

Wondergirl, my acne carried on from my teens into adulthood, just in a reduced form. I tried everything -- Retin-A, antibiotics, Accutane, and birth control...Accutane cleared up my skin for about a year and then mild acne returned...I really think mine is now more hormonal than anything else.

But everyone is different, go to a dermatologist if SA and BP don't work for you..

And frances, you mentioned testosterone blockers for women, is that something above and beyond oral contraceptives? If so, I would consider investigating it...

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm going to my primary doctor today so I'm hoping he can prescribe me some antibiotics, both topical and oral because my little bumps and pimples became horrible inflammatory pus-filled cysts.

Cool...thanks! I've been researching Diane-35 here too (Dianette), but I don't think it's approved for sales here in the US. Damn. smile.gif

I was prescribed Ortho tri-cyclen, Minocin, and Retin A today- by my new primary doctor. Here are my concerns: Ortho tricylen's drug literature doesnt say anything about acne, unlike Diane 35. I still have a pack of Diane 35 ( I ordered online) so now I'm having a dilemma on what to use. Another thing is, I'm almost afraid to use Retin-A because of the initial worsening I can get. Help! Help! Help! I'm just so sick of this problem!

I am the same. I think I got my first pimple when i was 21!!! I use Mary Kay products as a cleanser and a moisturizer...this is the only thing that works for me...

I took Ortho Tri-Cyclen way back when -- it did help to clear up my face, but it caused some mood swings as well for some reason, must be its medium to higher levels of estrogen/progesterone. And Retin-A does suck at first, but it also worked for me in the past...

Wondergirl, so you took Diane-35 after ordering it on the internet (I assume you live in the US where you can't buy it) ? How was it, did you notice any side effects beyond that of most oral contraceptives?

Slafavers I just finished a pack of Diane... I didnt feel any different. But at the same time I used Dan's regimen and its been 2 weeks that my pimples became inflamed cystic horrible ones. So now I'm not actually sure what made them worse-Diane or BP. I'm more inclined to think its the BP though because my acne got rerally worse on day 2-3 of using BP ( I was already on the 3rd wk of Diane then). So I'll be having my period soon and I'm not sure what to use-Diane or Ortho. How fast did the Ortho clear your face????

It took a few months...maybe 2-4? When I started tri-cyclen I had switched from Ortho Cyclen, which is a VERY strong BC pill that made my face go insane. So I'm not sure...Everything I read about Diane-35 yesterday said you had to wait for a few months to see any results.

This regimen is starting to clear up my face, but the oiliness I am experiencing is impossible to counteract, no matter what cleanser/moisturizer combo I seem to use. So I'm going to my derm next week and asking her to recommend some treatments for hormonal acne/oily skin. Nordette -- the pill I am on now -- isn't doing jack for my oily skin!

A friend of mine who used Diane claims it made her skin better-----but she did not suffer from acne anyway. She also said it made her boobs bigger :-k Oh dear..... it seems that our search for acne treatment is based on TRIAL AND ERROR. sad.gif

Hmmm, a lot of birth control pills do that...Ortho Tri-Cyclen "enhanced" mine a bit at first. wink.gif So your dermatologist gave you a birth control prescription?

If so, that's good news for me -- my recent gyno has put me on 2 different kinds of BCP that should "adjust" my hormone levels with little to no results. I couldn't take Yasmin for very long b/c I would start my period at the beginning of the 3rd week!!!! And Nordette is the one I am on now -- I haven't seen any major side effects, but it's not helping with the zits.

Trial and error is way it is, I'm afraid -- I hope my kids one day don't have this aggravation!

As for the regimen, I'm backing off on it, I think. I've been heavily using SA and then BP on my skin for several months now before I even started the regimen (dermafina and then proactiv), and I think it is what's causing the oily slick on top of dry skin -- which clogs pores. Until next Wednesday and my derm appt, it's simple products+BP spot treatment.

I'll start my Ortho tri cyclen tomorrow...... I'll give it a try and hope that it'll work for me. I really think my acne is hormonal because I've been noticing more hair growth- in my eyebrows, sides of face, etc. I'm crossing my fingers! [-o<

Yeah, I think my hormones are out of balance again too -- the hair growth I have has sped up a bit too...especially the pesky one or two I get under my chin, errr! My gyno is going to do some tests on Wednesday to see what's going on...