Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheSherminator

Cholesterol keeps inchin up...

Hey guys and gals,

Just started my 3rd month on Claravis, and so far so good. I still have a couple of active spots here an there (my shoulders especially, though they were the worst before I started 'tane) but I am very impressed with the results. Dryness has gone down a lot since the humidity has come up (thank you Atlanta!) as well.

I just got some bloodwork done for my last appointment, and my cholesterol was up to 192. It's gone up at least 25 points since I started, and I've been eating healthier so I'm almost positive that it's accutane. My derm hasn't given any concern, he's just obessed with my liver (which is doing well). But, 192 isn't a very good number, so does anyone have some tips on how to get it down while on accutane?

Did your physician tell you what your LDL (bad) cholesterol level is? That would be a more telling figure regarding how much your cholesterol is being impacted from Accutane. If your LDL is 192, that is really high--even for a young, healthy person who doesn't have any family history of CHD.

It is hard to give tips on how to keep it down because only 25% of the body's cholesterol comes from food. You can take fish oil tablets, eat oatmeal, and make sure to exercise.

I would ask your derm for the cholesterol breakdown. Accutane lowers HDL (the good cholesterol), raises triglycerides and LDL. Fish oil can actually elevate LDL, so this may not be a good choice. Exercise helps almost everyone to an extent.

Eat foods low in saturated fat and cholesterol (lean meats only and avoid eggs).

Unless you are diabetic or at high risk, your total cholesterol goal is probably about 260...that's the great thing about being young. I would ask to determine your personal cholesterol goal before freaking out too much.

Hey guys and gals,

Just started my 3rd month on Claravis, and so far so good. I still have a couple of active spots here an there (my shoulders especially, though they were the worst before I started 'tane) but I am very impressed with the results. Dryness has gone down a lot since the humidity has come up (thank you Atlanta!) as well.

I just got some bloodwork done for my last appointment, and my cholesterol was up to 192. It's gone up at least 25 points since I started, and I've been eating healthier so I'm almost positive that it's accutane. My derm hasn't given any concern, he's just obessed with my liver (which is doing well). But, 192 isn't a very good number, so does anyone have some tips on how to get it down while on accutane?

I should have been more specific...you can take fish oil tablets to increase HDL cholesterol. If you can lower the LDL cholesterol by limiting fat intake and exercising--plus increase your HDL levels, the total cholesterol levels will even out.

Keep in mind that a lot of it has to do with genetics. 75% of cholesterol is synthesized in the liver. So, without taking a statin, there isn't much you can do to alter the amount of cholesterol your body naturally produces.

Like liver function tests, most cholesterol levels will return to baseline after stopping treatment.

Hey guys and gals,

Thanks for the input, sounds like I'm getting a little too worried about it. I don't have any family history of heart disease or anything, so I'll just keep eating well and stick it out.

Thanks for the input, sounds like I'm getting a little too worried about it. I don't have any family history of heart disease or anything, so I'll just keep eating well and stick it out.