Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey everyone.....

I'm pleased to say that after 2 years of using this regimen. 2005 - 2007 ( will be 2 yrs in june of 07) I can say that I am 96-99% clear. When I was younger, I had cystic acne, and several annoying smaller breakouts of acne here and there...from aged 15 till now. I was treated with antibiotics, as well as accutane. I was one of the unfortunate sufferers of the side effect "suicidal ideation" with accutane, but as a result, I rarely get cysts now, and my breakouts are controlled with the success of this regimen. I have 1 final unanswered question that I would like some assistance with.....

I'm 99% clear, but my skin / face still seems very dry and flakey, and my neck looks like it's sunburned a lot of the time, I moisturize, but it doesn't seem to be enough. I do the following routine.

Morning

- shower

- brush teeth

- shave

- cleanse with "Cetaphil Oily Skin Cleanser"

- Apply Regimen Gel liberally and massage

- wait 5 - 10 minutes

- moisturize with "Marcelle Hydra C-Complex E cream gel"

Evening

- brush teeth

- wash with "Cetaphil Oily Skin Cleanser"

- wait 5-10 minutes

- Moisturize

I also take the following supplements each morning

Centrum Performance Multivitamin

Vitamin B100 complex

Ester - C with 2000mg grape seed extract

Vitamin D

Vitamin E

Omega 3

and I drink A LOT of water throughout the day.

anyways here's a picture of me now, apologies for not having a before picture. But I wasn't exactly camera happy back then.

post-39778-1173986709_thumb.jpg

post-39778-1173986709_thumb.jpg

DAMN!!! was the first thing that went through my mind when I saw your picture..the next was HOT...

*ahem* Anyway you could try using jojoba oil to moisturizer, a lot people here use it and love it...or emu oil or grapeseed oil....

I think you need to change moisturizers if you're still having redness and it's not handling your dryness well, and your moisturizer is the only suspect product out of all the ones you use, I've never even heard of it. Complex 15 (either the lotion or the face cream are fine) would fit the bill, though it doesn't have any SPF which you should be using during the day, so you might get a sunblock as well. Also, using an AHA lotion at night (like Neutrogena Healthy Skin Face Lotion, for example) will help with the flaking.

Hey everyone.....

I'm pleased to say that after 2 years of using this regimen. 2005 - 2007 ( will be 2 yrs in june of 07) I can say that I am 96-99% clear. When I was younger, I had cystic acne, and several annoying smaller breakouts of acne here and there...from aged 15 till now. I was treated with antibiotics, as well as accutane. I was one of the unfortunate sufferers of the side effect "suicidal ideation" with accutane, but as a result, I rarely get cysts now, and my breakouts are controlled with the success of this regimen. I have 1 final unanswered question that I would like some assistance with.....

I'm 99% clear, but my skin / face still seems very dry and flakey, and my neck looks like it's sunburned a lot of the time, I moisturize, but it doesn't seem to be enough. I do the following routine.

Morning

- shower

- brush teeth

- shave

- wait 5 - 10 minutes

Evening

- brush teeth

- wait 5-10 minutes

- Moisturize

Vitamin B100 complex

Vitamin D

Vitamin E

Omega 3

anyways here's a picture of me now, apologies for not having a before picture. But I wasn't exactly camera happy back then.

That sounds a lot like BP burn. What BP are you using. Before i was using the BP gel i found that over the counter bp products were sometimes inconsistant in that the concentration of BP seemed to be a lot higher than 2.5%.

Try reducing the dosage of BP for a few days. One time i got BP burn so badly the skin on my neck looked like a prewn. The only thing that soothed the sting was vaseline however this made me breakout all over the place but i couldn't stand the burning any longer.

surferdude...you had cystic acne, and you've got no red marks?

damn luck for some lol

great prgress though, your skin is flawless :)

surferdude...you had cystic acne, and you've got no red marks?

damn luck for some lol

great prgress though, your skin is flawless :)

thanks....I've had laser surgery to remove the hyperpigmentation each time I get a cyst.....

I appreciate everyone's advice. It really means a lot to me.

I wish everyone the best with their skin, god knows it's been a struggle for me.

Hey everyone.....

Morning

- shower

- brush teeth

- shave

- wait 5 - 10 minutes

Evening

- brush teeth

- wait 5-10 minutes

- Moisturize

Vitamin B100 complex

Vitamin D

Vitamin E

Omega 3

That sounds a lot like BP burn. What BP are you using. Before i was using the BP gel i found that over the counter bp products were sometimes inconsistant in that the concentration of BP seemed to be a lot higher than 2.5%.

Try reducing the dosage of BP for a few days. One time i got BP burn so badly the skin on my neck looked like a prewn. The only thing that soothed the sting was vaseline however this made me breakout all over the place but i couldn't stand the burning any longer.

good plan I'm going to give that a try.... because I've been using a TON of BP lately......I'm using DAN KERNS BP REGIMEN GEL.

here's a link to my moisturizer....

http://www.marcelle.com/English/skinCare/p...&scCat_id=2

Hey everyone.....

Morning

- shower

- brush teeth

- shave

- wait 5 - 10 minutes

Evening

- brush teeth

- wait 5-10 minutes

- Moisturize

Vitamin B100 complex

Vitamin D

Vitamin E

Omega 3

good plan I'm going to give that a try.... because I've been using a TON of BP lately......I'm using DAN KERNS BP REGIMEN GEL.

I have never used that moisteriser before. Is it any good?

what kind of laser treatment did u get for ur redmarks?

I had a plastic surgeon do it, it's called V-BEAM.

basically it's laser resurfacing. it stimulates the collagen in the skin and drastically reduces hyperpigmentation within 1 month.

Google search for.

V-BEAM Acne Therapy.

Hey everyone.....

Morning

- shower

- brush teeth

- shave

- wait 5 - 10 minutes

Evening

- brush teeth

- wait 5-10 minutes

- Moisturize

Vitamin B100 complex

Vitamin D

Vitamin E

Omega 3

I have never used that moisteriser before. Is it any good?

yes the moisturizer good, but expensive. a little bit too much i might add. it's roughly 24.00 CDN roughly.....

but I guess it's not good enough? as someone described above, It appears as though I'm having BP burn.....or it's not dealing with the redness and flakeyness that well...

all in all, I would recommend this moisturizer though, it's non comedogenic, perfume free, and hypoallergenic........it's worked well for me the past 2yrs on the regimen until now.

Hey everyone.....

Morning

- shower

- brush teeth

- shave

- wait 5 - 10 minutes

Evening

- brush teeth

- wait 5-10 minutes

- Moisturize

Vitamin B100 complex

Vitamin D

Vitamin E

Omega 3

ur a hottie...u should try eucerin they have a lot of products for redness and maybe jojoba oil for dry skin

Hey everyone.....

Morning

- shower

- brush teeth

- shave

- wait 5 - 10 minutes

Evening

- brush teeth

- wait 5-10 minutes

- Moisturize

Vitamin B100 complex

Vitamin D

Vitamin E

Omega 3

ur a hottie...u should try eucerin they have a lot of products for redness and maybe jojoba oil for dry skin

haha thanks. you guys are too kind with the compliments....

but seriously though, I've tried oils, and they just make me break out.....

my problem seems to lie within the BP usage and moisturizer combination...

does anyone have any suggestions for moisturizers? some non pore clogging, light not thick and heavy moisturizers that keep the skin feeling refreshed and supple??????

your help is greatly appreciated.

Hey man your skin looks fantastic by the way. I'm really new to this and just been on the regime for a couple weeks or so and it's already doing the trick big time. I'm using La Roche Posay Toleriane Soothing Protective Skincare for Normal to Combination Skin and it seems to be doing a great job. Kinda pricey but you seem to be already buyer a moisturizer thats around the same price. Plus, if your from Canada you can buy it from most Shoppers Drug Marts and try it for up to a month and if you don't like it you can return it for a full refund (prolly similar stores in the US may have the same agreement).

Hey man your skin looks fantastic by the way. I'm really new to this and just been on the regime for a couple weeks or so and it's already doing the trick big time. I'm using La Roche Posay Toleriane Soothing Protective Skincare for Normal to Combination Skin and it seems to be doing a great job. Kinda pricey but you seem to be already buyer a moisturizer thats around the same price. Plus, if your from Canada you can buy it from most Shoppers Drug Marts and try it for up to a month and if you don't like it you can return it for a full refund (prolly similar stores in the US may have the same agreement).

thanks.

yah I live in BC actually.....so I will give it a try at shoppers drug mart....see if they have it.

have you heard of any of the other products that people are recommending here? such as this cetaphil moisturizer, and the Eucerin cream or whatever?

what are they like..

cause all I know is that oils and potions and lotions make me break out.

ya man i've tried so many things - not while I was on Dan's Regime though and nothing ever worked. And even though people tell me it's not bad it's had a huge impact on my self-esteem (as you might notice by the time and date of this post 'friday night' and at home lol) not a huge deal whatever though . I've tried cetaphil and it made my skin very red right away and it never faded, Complex 15 works but only for a few hours then its like my skin sucks it all in and i dont have anything left so then again it becomes red for that different reason. Neutrogena Oil Free SPF 15 moiturizer used to work wonders for me back in the day but for some reason over the past two years it has just made my face real irritated. Actually now that I think of it ever since I finished accutane (which worked wonders while I was on it yet stopped when i finished) my skin has been sooo hypersensitive to every moisturizer and it sucks big time. But I have tried a lot of moisturizer so if you can think of any let me k now but honestly haven't wasted that much money on it because of Shopper's 30 day policy so I've, unfortunate for Shopper's Drug Mart, bought em tried em and returned them after they didnt work after about 3weeks (thats if it didn't turn me red right away)

Have you tried Alba moisturizers?

They are pretty expensive but can be spread on in a very thin coat. They also have a strong smell, but it fades very quickly. I found two types at my local CVS. So far, I've only tried the oil-free one and it worked wonders for me.

I still use Cetaphil at night because Alba does not make me completely flake-free, but Cetaphil takes care of that. :)

Good luck!

ya man i've tried so many things - not while I was on Dan's Regime though and nothing ever worked. And even though people tell me it's not bad it's had a huge impact on my self-esteem (as you might notice by the time and date of this post 'friday night' and at home lol) not a huge deal whatever though . I've tried cetaphil and it made my skin very red right away and it never faded, Complex 15 works but only for a few hours then its like my skin sucks it all in and i dont have anything left so then again it becomes red for that different reason. Neutrogena Oil Free SPF 15 moiturizer used to work wonders for me back in the day but for some reason over the past two years it has just made my face real irritated. Actually now that I think of it ever since I finished accutane (which worked wonders while I was on it yet stopped when i finished) my skin has been sooo hypersensitive to every moisturizer and it sucks big time. But I have tried a lot of moisturizer so if you can think of any let me k now but honestly haven't wasted that much money on it because of Shopper's 30 day policy so I've, unfortunate for Shopper's Drug Mart, bought em tried em and returned them after they didnt work after about 3weeks (thats if it didn't turn me red right away)

yah.....I think I'm going to stick with the regimen until things clear up....without it....if they ever do....

it had a huge impact on my social life as well.....it's very annoying....so I can totally understand where you're coming from....but none of us are here to judge and thats the beauty of these boards.

you could try the moisturizer that I am using right now......it seems to work, if I don't douse myself in BP....then I get too dry for it.

anyways, thanks for your advice.

good luck.

Have you tried Alba moisturizers?

They are pretty expensive but can be spread on in a very thin coat. They also have a strong smell, but it fades very quickly. I found two types at my local CVS. So far, I've only tried the oil-free one and it worked wonders for me.

I still use Cetaphil at night because Alba does not make me completely flake-free, but Cetaphil takes care of that. :)

Good luck!

yah I'm definitely sticking with the Cetaphil too, I think really the trick is to have a balance of BP amount with the right moisturizer...because sometimes mine works, and other times it doesn't.

so far people here have suggested

oils

moisturizers

liquids.

what are some good moisturizer brands?

I've read great things so far about Garnier Nutritioniste Serum, which is more lotion-like than serum. I got a free sample from the Garnier website (I think, it could have been a different site) and I liked it, but it didn't seem like anything special to me. However, it has a few good reviews on MUA and I've seen someone here talking about it- perhaps it'll work for you?

You are seriously hot. :wub:

You look fine to me, but maybe the pic doesn't show the dryness that well. You could try using a bit less BP and more moisturiser?

Hey there,

A lot of people use Eucerin products, in particular the Eucerin 5% Urea Face Cream. Make sure you pick up the one with 5% Urea as it does wonder for dry or flakey skin. I usually find that it stings a little upon initial application, and my skin goes a little red, but within 10 minutes it's fine again. I never get any dry flakey skin at all. I know a lot of people don't like it because of the price or whatever, but I think it's really good. It sells for about £10 for a 50ml tube in the UK, so probably about $25 Canadian, but I use about one tube a month so it's not that bad. Especially if you've paid for laser treatment.

Here's a link to the Eucerin site. Sorry I couldn't pinpoint the product itself, but it's a Flash site. Just go into the products section and look for it there:

http://www.eucerin.ca/

They also have a full ingredients list, so if you know of anything that irritates your skin, check it out before you buy.

And your skin looks great by the way. It's really good to hear about success stories.

Good luck!

Helen

Hey there,

A lot of people use Eucerin products, in particular the Eucerin 5% Urea Face Cream. Make sure you pick up the one with 5% Urea as it does wonder for dry or flakey skin. I usually find that it stings a little upon initial application, and my skin goes a little red, but within 10 minutes it's fine again. I never get any dry flakey skin at all. I know a lot of people don't like it because of the price or whatever, but I think it's really good. It sells for about £10 for a 50ml tube in the UK, so probably about $25 Canadian, but I use about one tube a month so it's not that bad. Especially if you've paid for laser treatment.

Here's a link to the Eucerin site. Sorry I couldn't pinpoint the product itself, but it's a Flash site. Just go into the products section and look for it there:

http://www.eucerin.ca/

They also have a full ingredients list, so if you know of anything that irritates your skin, check it out before you buy.

And your skin looks great by the way. It's really good to hear about success stories.

Good luck!

Helen

wow I really appreciate all these compliments...

to be honest the past few years, before I got clear like in the picture....my social life was drastically affected....I didn't go out, sometimes I still don't, as a residual effect I guess...unfortunate but true.

for the next 2 weeks I'm going to try using less BP and more moisturizer and see what happens, then I will start writing a list of the products you guys have recommended and give the moisturizers a try......

so far Cetaphil and Eucerin seem to be most recommended.

Appreciate it everyone. Thanks again.