Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Me: 23 year old male, 5'9" 155 lbs and sexy. Well I had very minor acne in high school, no problemo. In college it gradually got worse over the years. By my senior year, it was at a mild/moderate level. Then I took on a stressful ass job, and boom, broke out everywhere quite often (looking at others' pics, I would say it was still moderate). In 2006 I started mino, retin-a, and these topical pads called rosula ns. I'm not too sure on the pads cause I rarely used them. I cut back on the retin-a cause it would just make my skin flake like crazy. Overall, this controlled my acne nicely, but I would still break out at times. My derm recommended accutane, but I didn't want to experience nasty side effects so I started differen gel and clindamycin. This didn't help and so I went back to the derm to talk about accutane. And so my journey began on 2/13/07.

I'm actually finishing up month 1 of my 80mg/day (40mg 2x/day) accutane regimen. I didn't start this blog until now cause my hand was broken - punched a wall and broke my knuckle.

Quick recap of my first month:

Week 1 - No real side effects except dry lips (minor though, I applied lip balm like once every 2 hours or so)

Week 2 - Dry skin, dry lips, itchy ass head, a lot of my blackheads got pushed out and disappeared, my skin actually looked pretty nice

Week 3 - Breakouts on my face, blackheads returned with a vengeance, and a couple of cysts in places I never had acne before - my chest and back!? >:o Dry lips and skin but manageable. It actually felt nice to not have really oily complexion. My head also didn't itch anymore.

Week 4 - A couple of new cysts, but I noticed how my acne disappeared a little quicker than usual. I still have a bunch of red marks. Dry skin, but a little oily at the end of the day. Dry lips - lip balm once every 20-30 minutes.

I think my body is starting to resist the accutane. I don't know if you build up a tolerance to it resulting in diminishing effects. Can someone give me clarification? I'm breaking out a little more lately, and my skin gets a little oily at the end of the day. Month 1 is done baby. I'm going to the derm today.

Alrighty, I went to the derm today and she told me to keep up with the same dose. Luckily, she said I might not need to stay on accutane as long as most people do, since my acne was not too bad to begin with (3-4 months).

I have the same side effects, dry skin and lips. I have a new whitehead on the right side of my face near the jawline. haha, just popped it.

Good luck man. I had a similar situation where as soon as I got to med school the stress caused me major breakouts. Tane really is the silver bullet though, cleared me right up.

DAY 38

Alright, so now the acne is not so bad. It's not really clear either.

A couple of small pimples on my chin, one small one on my right cheek, another small one on my left side (near eyeball), and one cyst on each ear.

I don't really understand the ear cysts, but they are much smaller than the cysts I usually get.

Most of the cysts on my jawline are either gone or decreasing in size. I still have blackheads on my cheeks and nose.

Still doing the 40mg 2x/day

I've also noticed that my side effects (dry skin, dry lips) aren't nearly as bad as some of my friends who were on accutane. My lips get dry, but I could probably go for an hour without applying lip balm. I usually apply about every 30 minutes.

DAY 41

About 1/2 of the blackheads on my nose have been pushed out. I still have blackheads on my cheeks. A couple of days ago I got 2 or 3 pimples on my chin and 1 near my right eyebrow. They definitely go away faster, but I'm usually left with a red mark afterwards that lasts for about a week. Dry lips, dry skin.

Whenever I wake up, my lips are so dry and the mouth area looks dry too.

I will rejoice when I can drink alcohol again.

DAY 44

Alrighty, new side effects: I've been getting really irritated skin that becomes scabbed up on different areas of my body - my hand, my wrist, my forearm, my elbow, and my upper arms. This actually happened during the first 2 weeks of starting accutane on my jaw (left side), but I thought that was unrelated. Is there any way to stop this?

Two new huge pimples on my forehead and one on my neck (right side). The other ones on my face have been disappearing, but they always leave red marks. Oh well. Such is life for us.

Day 47

My derm friggin cancelled my appointment for april 16 and now I'm scheduled for the 19th. I'm gonna be off accutane for 5 days. I'm gonna spread out my doses a little so that I have at least some everyday.

My arms are now pretty dry. My face is fairly dry. My lips are dry. Desert.

My skin is looking a little better. I would say about 1/2 of my blackheads are now gone. I still get pimples but they are less frequent. I have a bunch of red marks on my face that seem like they don't go away. Only time will tell.

Day 53

My skin has been drying out a lot more lately. My arms are now consistently dry, so I have to put lotion on them in the morning. My lips of course need lip balm. And my skin is ok with 2 applications of facial moisturizer.

I have a big pimple near my left eye. Other than a couple of bumps here and there, there aren't really any new pimples. But, i still do have a lot of red marks on my face. I still have blackheads on my cheeks. I want clear clear clear skin. :D

Day 60

I went to the derm today and he extended my prescription, but my lipid enzymes have shot up over the past month. Hopefully, next month they'll be ok. I don't want to have to stop the medication when I'm 3/4 done. The derm said that I should be on it for 4 months. So I'm 1/2 way through right now.

Doctors, in my opinion, are know-it-alls. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, because it is helpful to know the mechanics and reasons behind your bodily behavior, but I think the way most doctors show off their knowledge is just simply annoying. Oh well, who cares.

I still have some pimples here and there. It's not too bad. The drying of my arms has toned down a lot. But now in my nose the boogers get all dry and clumped up. A lot of times it's bloody. But it's manageable. I've read on another accutane blog (I believe Sarah's?) that she used to get vaseline on a q-tip and twirl it around inside her nostril. haha. I don't need that. But I did it once and it definitely helps if this is a side effect you are going through. I still have a significant number of blackheads on my cheeks and in between my eyebrows. Pimples on my face behave weirdly. They always leave red marks when they go away. Some go away quickly (1 week or so, face mostly), some linger for up to 2-3 weeks (cysts, jawline, neck area).

Day 63

I gotta say your skin behaves in weird ways all over when you're on accutane. I notice that when I shave, sometimes the next day I'll have a scabbed up part of my skin where I shaved. Your skin gets very sensitive and shaving kind of rips it off of your face at times. The scab isn't like ones you would get on your arm if you fell in the street. It's more like a light red patch over a small area. It almost just looks like red marks left from disappearing acne or if you were to pick at it.

Anyways, side effects for now include dry lips as always and dry skin. The life cycle of my pimples is definitely much shorter now, but there are a couple here and there that I do get on a pretty consistent basis. My jawline/neck area is getting better, and as far as new pimples go, there are a couple on my face, but most of the red marks are from previous, healing acne. That's all for now, time to sleeeeeeeeeeeeep.

Day 68

It's pretty weird ... no ... new ... acne. I hope it stays this way for the rest of my treatment. I do have some scarring and red marks that need some time to heal. My lips are friggin dry. I need to put on lip balm the most after eating and in the morning. But I pretty much apply about every 20-30 minutes.

A nice thing about accutane so far is now my skin is mostly soft and smooth. Before I would touch my skin and I'd be able to feel bumps, but now it's nice and soft. Greatness.

Day 71

I spoke too soon. I now have several nodules, cysts, etc. on my jawline, a couple on my right cheek, and a couple on my forehead. I hope it goes away sooooon.

Hey, I'm on day 69 right now, so we're about at the same time. I take 60mgs though, but I too am experiencing new cyst right about now. It all works out in the end though... :)

Day 89

It's been a while since I've posted. My skin is about the same as it has been for the past couple of weeks. I get a couple of pimples here and there in various areas, and depending on the size, they take anywhere between 4 days to 1.5 weeks to disappear.

I'll be seeing the derm in two days and then it's one more month to go. I'm hoping my skin gets a lot better after I'm off of it. Is one more month enough? I'm still getting pimples and sometimes they are big. Well, that's what the derm suggested.

Day 97

Well I pretty much have no new acne right now. It feels fantastic. One or two more months and I am done!

On the left side of my face are a couple of healing scars/red marks, but I'm used to it now. I still have large pores and in the event they do not go away from the accutane, I'll probably get an occasional facial to remove them. It's not too big of a deal to me. I feel great. :clap:

I have an interview tomorrow which I will rock the pants off of.

Day 103

Pretty much the same story... no acne (aside from one tiny pimple in b/w my eyebrows), some healing red marks and large pores on my cheeks and forehead area. We'll see how it turns out. I hope I finish at the end of this set of pills and not have to go on another month.

Day 113

Well, I have my derm appointment in 8 days, and that will be the end of my 4th month. They are still debating whether I will go on the 5th month or not. I pray to the heavens that I will FINISH my treatment that day. It will be glorious. But if I have to go on an extra month, no biggie.

I've only had a couple of very small pimples here and there throughout the past couple of weeks. Maybe three or four total that all disappeared within a couple of days. The dry, flaky skin continues. The dry, chapped lips are always there.

I still have healing scars and red marks and fairly large pores on my face. But the actual acne feels like its pretty much gone. I just hope it will stay that way when I'm off of it. I will post after the appointment.