Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MrJ

How "deep" is deep?

I'm not entirely sure on what a "deep" scar is - forgive me if I sound a little clueless, but I really don't know. I don't think any of my scars are deeper than 0.5mm, but look deeper when standing under a spotlight. (when facing a strong light though, you can't even tell I have scars - it's very confusing as to the severity of my scarring.)

Is the depth of a scar relative to it's width, with regards as to how you can treat it? :-s

Have you first established what type of scar you have? Rolling / IcePick / Boxcar.

and yes light makes a huge difference so it can play tricks with you.. you can try the stretch test where your stretch your skin surrounding the scar if the scar dissappears its usually a shallower type scar.. if you can feel your scar and the indentation then its a bit deeper

MrJ: "deep" is definitely a subjective term. Unfortunately there really isn't any concrete definition of what a deep scar is. In my experience icepick scars tend to run the deepest, but this could vary from person to person.

Yes - Generally the depth of the scars has much to do with how successfully it can be treated. Icepick scarring tends to be the most difficult to treat.

Have you first established what type of scar you have? Rolling / IcePick / Boxcar.