Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

http://www.thepaleodiet.com/articles/Acne%...%20vulgaris.pdf

The above link is the article that ended my acne suffering. I am 35 and have had it since i was about 13. I tried everything including the regiment and accutane. Nothing worked until I started experimenting with my diet. The above study blames the western diet for acne. In particular, it blames refined carbs. I have found that eliminating refined carbs from my diet helped my acne a great deal. However, it did not eliminate it. The other item that really helped was minimizing my dairy consumption. In fact, whenever I have dairy I take a lactose intollerance pill. They are pretty cheap and can be found at most health food stores. I also believe that caffeine consumption increases acne. Tea seems ok but coffee does give me the occasional breakout. Anyway, my acne is about 98% gone at this point. It feels frigin great!

I understand that the doctors have drilled into our skulls that diet does not matter. However, I am here to tell you that acne is a direct result of the western diet. It can be eliminated or minimized based on the diet changes that I have outlined here. I encourage everyone to try it and let us know how it works. Good luck!

hey, its funny you mentioned diet because i was flipping channels the other night and stumbled across a doctor talking about acne and he said the most important thing is to change your diet....lay off starches and sugars because they tend to clog your pores the most...and to drink lots n lots of water...so i do believe diet matters, no matter what anyone says...now, it differs from person to person but i dont see how ppl can say its doesnt matter at all when it does in certain ppl. ! i also heard that Zinc is great to take in preventing inflammation , i just started taking it 3 days ago so u might also wanna try that too !! biggrin.gif

it drives me crazy when people who have no scientific background post their opinions on things like these. if you know ANYTHING about acne, you would NEVER claim such things in the first place...

1st about refined carbs... any kind of carbohydrate you eat is broken down by your body into a form of carbohydrate that it can absorb (as not all forms can be absorbed). the reason why refined carbs are considered "bad" is the face that the body does not have to do much to break them down (to be absorbed) and therefore they are more easily stored as crabs adn then converted into fat.

i often think about the bad rep chocolate has... and it drives me CRAZY... (cocoa has antioxidants and can actually be said to be healthy)... the only way this could POTENTIALLY make sense is the following case: a pms-ing chick... chicks tend to crave chocolate when they are pmsing... so they eat chocolate... then they break out... conclusion: chocolate makes you break out... CRAP! HORMONAL CHANGES that occur during your pmsing days cause breakouts, not the chocolate you crave. i wish people would get that. hormones, stress (due to its effect on HORMONES) can cause you to break out, not the chocolate that you eat to deal with your stress/pms.

oh, and about milk... only a small number of people are lactose intolerant... the rest is just ignorant... milk is not bad! if you work with chemicals, you know that in case of poisoning due to ingestion (only if the chemicals will not cause you to throw up-alone or when combined with milk) one is advised to drink MILK (or water if you think you may throw up as a result of drinking milk). MILK can neutralize poisonous amounts of chemicals, it's that good, and you want to tell us it should be avoided based on non-existent, NON-CONCLUSIVE medical research? whatever

lol...of course i meant carbs..

and while we are at it, the "face" was supposed to be "fact" and "adn" was supposed to be "and"... anything to make you happy...

Hey flawed,

I tend to agree with you about diet. The only exception I can think of is if a person has genuine food allergies. What's your take on what I stated about transfats and chemical preservatives. I really think there is some merit to avoiding them. I ran and always actively exercised, but I kept getting high cholesterol readings. My acne was also very bad. My doctor asked if I ate a lot of snack foods (notorious for transfats). He thought that might be the cause of my high cholesterol. Within the last year or so, I've cut transfats almost entirely out of my diet. The cholesterol came down and the acne cleared to a point where I'm pretty happy.

hey njacobs...

any way you look at it, you are better off by cutting out trans fats (hydrogenated fats) from your diet. its obvious how they affect your health overall (increase "bad cholesterol - LDL - low density lipoprotein, decrease HDL, high density lipoprotein, the good kind, increase risk of coronary artery disease, etc etc etc.), I wouldn't be surprised to hear that they affect acne as well. Trans fats are known to increase insulin resistance. I am not going into a discussion of the pancreas, the cells it's made up of, what it secretes, but since it does have an effect on beta-cells, it is highly likely that it does have an effect on alpha and gamma cells and therefore their secretion, i.e. the hormones of the pancreas, which would increase the likelihood that trans fats do contribute to acne and breakouts (due to their possible effect on hormonal balances).

Anyway, I am not a doctor nor am I a scientist, so everything I say is just an educated guess, but you are better off avoiding trans fats regardless of your motivations.

I try to limit my instake of bad things like trans and saturated fats and generally eat healthy foods not for acne but for my general health. I think that some of these new fad diets are going to end up hurting your body in the long run. Eg. Atkins. Carbs are essential if your active , theres no two ways about it. They also contradict each other. Some say whole wheat bread is good, some say it isn't. Some say that carrots suck but some say it is a miracle(I believe that Accutane works because of the vitamin A overload, which is why carrots would make sense). SOme say meat is bad, some say it's okay. I think you psyching yourselves into thinking that these foods are causing it. After all, you can makeyouself better by thinking positive.

I have found things like aloe gel as a moisturizer, sea salt, the tape method, BP, and salyclic acid as reccommended in Botula's thread to be helpful. But the two major things that have helped me clear up is exercise and a positive mindset. Sometimes I think that people are so worried about their acne that it ends up stressing them out to the point that they will get new acne. They drink some eggnog at Christmas or eat a Mars bar once a month and they immediately go into panic mode. Calm down and breathe properly through your abdomen which will provide more oxygen to your body and eventually make it's way up to the dermis.

Now if I can only figure out how my red marks went away so fast up till a year ago. Even now some will stay for a few months and some will fade in like a week(aloes supposed to help and since I've just started this we'll see). (I'm a 20 yo male)

Keep your mind open. I kept my closed for too long and as result I suffered needlessly.

Do you really think the medical establishment is interested in curing this problem? It is far too profitable in its current state.