Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Red_Sun

low dose effective?

anyway, I have mild-moderate acne. More on the mild side with the use of antibiotics. Still very noticeable though. Been on antibiotics for bout 5 months now. It helps somewhat but it's not enough. And eventually it's going to stop working. So I was wondering if using a lower dose of accutane, perhaps 10 or 20 mg daily, would be effective. Especially since my acne is not severe and cystic. Would the side effects be less? Would I be better off just taking a higher dose? Any recommendations? just sick of dealing with it and nothing is working...

anyway, I have mild-moderate acne. More on the mild side with the use of antibiotics. Still very noticeable though. Been on antibiotics for bout 5 months now. It helps somewhat but it's not enough. And eventually it's going to stop working. So I was wondering if using a lower dose of accutane, perhaps 10 or 20 mg daily, would be effective. Especially since my acne is not severe and cystic. Would the side effects be less? Would I be better off just taking a higher dose? Any recommendations? just sick of dealing with it and nothing is working...

So there's a certain amount of accutane you need to take to "complete" a course? The higher your dose the less time your course takes?

So there's a certain amount of accutane you need to take to "complete" a course? The higher your dose the less time your course takes?

There is a culmative recommended dose that is based upon your weight. If you read the literature that came with the drug or on the info leaflet it says that this does is between 120 - 150mg/kg. This is just a guide that derms use so you may not actually reach it (depends upon side effects etc). However according to the info i have read if you dont reach it then there is a greater chance that your acne may return. Also the leaflet claims that a higher monthly dose over a shorter period of time is preferable to a lower does for a longer period. Basicly low doses will dry you out and help your acne, but may not cause the permanent skin changes that a higher dose might. Thats what ive read tho ask your derm im sure he knows more :)

SOMETHIN LIKE THAT.. BUT THESE JERKS ON THIS SITE SAY CULMATIVE DOSE WHEN THEY NEVER SHOULD FACTUAL PROOF ABOUT "CULMATIVE DOSE" CULMATIEV DOSE IS BULLSHIT ITS NOT TRUE

i'm on 20 mg and have been for the past nearly 4 months. things are doing ok...slowly...have good and bad days...today is a good day. i'm 7 stone and 5 ft 4...petit and i thinkthats why i'm on a low dose xx

If you have acne on the mild/moderate side then you should take a low dose like you say, this way you probably avoid a lot of side effects as well. But then people are saying it might come back with a low dose.. meh I dunno lol. I haven't read into this cumulative dosage rule.