Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
strider1

My theory about jojoba oil and why some people break out from it

Jojoba oil is carrier oil meaning that they are used to carry or transport other oils that can not be applied directly to the skin. And while many other carrier oils sit on the skin - Jojoba is unique in that it actual penetrates the skin. So basically it helps our skin to absorb deeper whatever it is mixed with.

I think some people use jojoba right before they use BP in order to heighten the effects of BP. This way, the BP is absorbed deeper I believe and I think that way works well. (Although I have not tried this way yet...I've just heard it works from other people experiences)

However, some people use jojoba oil with a moisturizer and this is why I think some people break out. Some moisturizers contain very bad oils and other irritants that are very comedogenic and clog pores. Now whenever it is combined with the jojoba oil which is a carrier oil, it carriers those bad oils deeper into the skin thus irritating skin, clogging pores, etc and finally causes breakouts.

For me and a lot of other people it caused deep cyst-like acne. It didn't appear right away and only appeared I would say 2 weeks after I used it. I stopped using it and I stopped breaking out like that. ( I used Clean and Clear Morning Glow)

Here is one of many examples that have experienced the very thing that I have experienced.

Hi Dan,

I suffered with acne for 20 years. I tried prescriptions, lotions and vitamins; nothing ever helped until I found your website 2 years ago. Since I have been following your regimen my skin has cleared up and I actually receive compliment from others about my complexion. The only time I have problems are when I get lax with the routine or it is "that time of the month."

Honestly, I don't frequent the boards very often because I have had success and can now focus on other areas of my life. I returned recently because I wanted to find out what you were recommending to replace the Eucerin Skin Renewal that I have been using. I was very excited to read that you were creating your own moisturizer as I am a big fan of your BP gel. I trust that you will make an extremely high quality product but I do have one little concern that I wanted to voice. When I first started your regimen someone (on another acne forum) was touting pure jojoba oil as a great moisturizer - just 3 drops morning and night. I added it to my routine and within 1 - 2 weeks I started developing severe, deep, cystic-like pimples. Once I started investigating the use of jojoba oil amongst people in that forum I realized that many people had experienced a similar reaction. Needless to stay I discontinued use and my skin cleared up within a month or two.

I read that you will be using jojoba in your formulation, so I wanted to share my experience with you in case some people had a similar reaction to mine. As I said earlier, I am sure that you will produce a wonderful product and I will definitely give it a try.

Thank you for all of your hard work and tenacity.

desert girl

I am picky about my moisturizers also... and like you, I loved how the Complex 15 goes on and how simple it is. It rubs in so well and it seems very "watery". However, you are right, it does not hyxdrate very well. I still feel tight and dry after I use it. To be honest with you, I have been using Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisture for Sensitive Skin for like 3 months or so and it is the closest thing I have found to Complex 15 in terms of not feeling thick or heavy, yet hydrating 100x more than Complex 15. Still has that "watery" feel to it which I like. Might want to try that if you think you may like it..

P.S.- I have very dry skin. Accutane twice + BP now says it all... :)

Thanks I will definatly try that one out. :) Are you saying you still have dry skin with that moisterizer or that you are fully hydrated and have that skin type?

I've been using Jojoba oil for about a month to moisturize and it has worked very well. I've just started to use the DKR and would like to continue using Jojoba oil as a moisturizer.

Before starting the DKR I would apply a few drops of Jojoba to a wet face after cleansing. The dlilemma I have now that I've started the DKR is that if I apply Jojoba before BP I think my skin will be too dry, but if I apply it after BP, using the wet face method, I'm worried that the BP will mostly get washed off.

Would I be right that I definitely don't want to wet my face right after applying BP?

Thanks I will definatly try that one out. :) Are you saying you still have dry skin with that moisterizer or that you are fully hydrated and have that skin type?

you theory is likely to be correct, but as for any theory you need to verify it.

what you should do is:

1) try again, at least twice and for 2-4 weeks, and use jojoba oil as u did before (ie with moisturizer)

2) try and apply jojoba oil before applying BP, at least for 2-4 weeks.

step 3 would be find some (10+) volounteers who are going to try step 1 and 2 for the same amount of time.

Jojoba oil is carrier oil meaning that they are used to carry or transport other oils that can not be applied directly to the skin. And while many other carrier oils sit on the skin - Jojoba is unique in that it actual penetrates the skin. So basically it helps our skin to absorb deeper whatever it is mixed with.

I think some people use jojoba right before they use BP in order to heighten the effects of BP. This way, the BP is absorbed deeper I believe and I think that way works well. (Although I have not tried this way yet...I've just heard it works from other people experiences)

However, some people use jojoba oil with a moisturizer and this is why I think some people break out. Some moisturizers contain very bad oils and other irritants that are very comedogenic and clog pores. Now whenever it is combined with the jojoba oil which is a carrier oil, it carriers those bad oils deeper into the skin thus irritating skin, clogging pores, etc and finally causes breakouts.

For me and a lot of other people it caused deep cyst-like acne. It didn't appear right away and only appeared I would say 2 weeks after I used it. I stopped using it and I stopped breaking out like that.

Here is one of many examples that have experienced the very thing that I have experienced.

Hi Dan,

I suffered with acne for 20 years. I tried prescriptions, lotions and vitamins; nothing ever helped until I found your website 2 years ago. Since I have been following your regimen my skin has cleared up and I actually receive compliment from others about my complexion. The only time I have problems are when I get lax with the routine or it is "that time of the month."

Honestly, I don't frequent the boards very often because I have had success and can now focus on other areas of my life. I returned recently because I wanted to find out what you were recommending to replace the Eucerin Skin Renewal that I have been using. I was very excited to read that you were creating your own moisturizer as I am a big fan of your BP gel. I trust that you will make an extremely high quality product but I do have one little concern that I wanted to voice. When I first started your regimen someone (on another acne forum) was touting pure jojoba oil as a great moisturizer - just 3 drops morning and night. I added it to my routine and within 1 - 2 weeks I started developing severe, deep, cystic-like pimples. Once I started investigating the use of jojoba oil amongst people in that forum I realized that many people had experienced a similar reaction. Needless to stay I discontinued use and my skin cleared up within a month or two.

I read that you will be using jojoba in your formulation, so I wanted to share my experience with you in case some people had a similar reaction to mine. As I said earlier, I am sure that you will produce a wonderful product and I will definitely give it a try.

desert girl

Also, currently I'm using Complex 15 right now and I love the simplicity of it. However I do not feel it's moisturizing enough and need something more that is basic as Complex 15. Can you guys recommend me something (without spf) besides cetaphil, or moisterel? (Didn’t like those ones) And I don't really care how heavy greasy it is or how it looks because I only use it at night. :)

What do you guys think?

Have you considered Cetaphil cream? Some people feel it is less shiny than the lotion. Or Lac-Hydrin Five? And if you like Complex 15 but it isn't quite enough, have you added a few drops of jojoba to it?

For me and a lot of other people it caused deep cyst-like acne. It didn't appear right away and only appeared I would say 2 weeks after I used it. I stopped using it and I stopped breaking out like that.

Hi Dan,

desert girl

Also, currently I'm using Complex 15 right now and I love the simplicity of it. However I do not feel it's moisturizing enough and need something more that is basic as Complex 15. Can you guys recommend me something (without spf) besides cetaphil, or moisterel? (Didn’t like those ones) And I don't really care how heavy greasy it is or how it looks because I only use it at night. :)

What do you guys think?

brandy, I will try out the cream version, I didn't really like the lotion one but I was actually thinking about that one...Thanks.

Real Maverick, Well I was just using my regular products that I used, back then I used (purpose gentle wash, dans bp, and clean and clear morning glow). I did not have bad breakout with deep cysts like acne but just smaller regular acne I would say. I added jojoba oil with the moisterizer and then after about 2 weeks I would get the deep cyst like acne I was telling you about and then after I stopped using it, it went away. I'm pretty sure it was the jojoba oil but I can not be 100% sure, I would have to try it again. But there are many stories like mine.

But I think jojoba would work great with a good moisterizer that does not contain any comedogenic items. If a moisterizer contains anything bad, it will make your skin worse. But if you have a good moisterizer and add jojoba oil to it, it will enhance your moisterizer.

I use jojoba both ways, sometimes before BP & sometimes combined with my moisturizer (lac-hydrin five). It has never made me break out.

I cant tell anymore...taking a vitamin with Iodine, which some people says breaks them out, using jojoba oil with cetaphil, both of which people say breaks them out. Just switched to Cetaphil face lotion with SPF, people says that breaks them out...Just quit smoking AGAIN, the last 4 times I broke out really bad for the first week or 2, that seems to be it to me.

All I know is, I was clear and now I'm having a bad breakout (for me, people with bad acne would scoff at my spoiled opinion of a breakout but...) when I just started dating a girl who, when I started dating, saw me with completely clear skin. Argh...

:naughty:It's pointless trying to come to a definitive answer to whether 'this' or 'that' makes u break out, and even if someone swears that it makes them break out, they can still be wrong.

I've tried everything that people say makes them breakout, i thought jojoba oil did, thought moisturizer did, etc. Now i use them 2xday with no problems. I know they're not bad for me because i tried using just BP on it's own and it was the same, but i had really dry skin.

There was someone who said they didn't even wash their face for a year and they said they still got the same amount of spots. You wouldn't break out from using things like jojoba and moisterizers, they're for you skin.

i know what you mean about complex15, its pretty watery. it works ok for me but it seems to not even be absorbing into my skin anymore, it always feels oily now. dans moisturizer came out at a great time as this is JUST been a problem for 2 or 3 days.

Guest Timehealsall

how long were you guys using jojoba oil before it broke you out?