Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
allasmomma

In need of advice and encouragement...

Hello, thanks for taking the time to read about my problems. When I was 16 I started getting "zits". There were never many from what I recall... probably 4 or 5 around the time of menstrual cycle start. My boyfriend at the time was using Panoxyl bar 10% and he of course had clear flawless skin. I started using the panoxyl and it kept me fairly clear (a zit or two around period time) for YEARS. When I got pregnant I broke out like crazy the first couple months. I saw an ad for Proactiv so I decided to give that a try. I cleared up slightly, but I don't think it was from the proactiv, I think it was from my hormones stabilizing. Though Proactiv NEVER seemed to work, I kept at it for two years until I finally decided it was time to try something else. I started using Exposed skin care for four or five months. It kept my skin the same condition as the Proactiv had. I have red spot acne scars all across my forehead and 5 or 6 pimple, swelling bumps, ect at time. A lightbulb went off in my head and I remembered the Panoxyl bar from my teenage years. I ran out and bought three bars of this hoping it'd be the cure. This is my sixth day and it hasn't been pretty.

Day 1: I washed the first night by lathering a ton of it on my forehead where most of the problem is and proceeding to cover the rest of my face with it.

Day 2: In the morning I noticed my face was burning, but I lathered my forehead even more. By that night the outline of my face was BURNING fiercely.

Day 3: I decided to try washing once a day instead, so I didn't wash in the morning. I still dabbed 10% panoxyl gel on the zits only. My forehead seemed to be clearing up some. By noon my chin was flaking and I had random skin flaking on my forehead and cheeks as well. That night I tried using less lather, but I think I still used too much.

Day 4: My chin was peeling and the entire "beard" area of my face is what I can only describe as "chapped". I smothered it in whatever lotion I could get my hands on (I tried the moisture complex from Exposed I had left over and it burned, then I tried my daughter's baby lotion which also burned). My skin was still flaky despite the amount I lathered on. That night I washed very, very lightly with the panoxyl (my forehead was clearing- somewhat).

Day 5: In the morning I noticed a new zit on my chin forming (probably from all the lotion I lathered on). I lathered on more baby lotion anyway because the skin was so chapped and flaky (dandruff face). I ordered this device called "Zeno" which was $200, but has a 30 day guarantee. I'm desperate to try anything. I won't get it until tomorrow. On my way home I bought a bottle of jojoba oil and lathered it on my chapped skin. It's the only thing that didn't burn my face. After a few minutes the redness seemed relieved, but the skin is still severely chapped. I washed very lightly before bed, mostly just my forehead and did a quick sweep over the chapped area just to cleanse it.

Day 6: (Today) My "beard" area feels like sandpaper to the touch. I rubbed off the dead skin with a wet towel and lathered on jojoba oil immediately. It seems to help, but it is greasy and shiny. The new zit is growing. After reading a lot of advice posted on this site I have ordered the following:

All Paula's Choice:

Skin Recovery Cleanser

Skin Recovery Toner

Hydra light lotion

2% BHA lotion

Extra Strength Blemish Fighting Solution

I'm also taking birth control, I have just completed my first month. I haven't seen any difference yet, but the Dr. said it takes 3 months of use to know wether or not it will work for me. I want to take the BC anyway so I don't get pregnant, I'm just praying for the added bonus.

I used to be very happy and outgoing. Since the acne I've become so depressed. When it was at it's worst 7 days ago I took a picture of myself and started crying when I looked at it. My boyfriend says if he had one wish he'd wish this away for me... he's so sweet. If I didn't have him I would have given up by now.

I think I may have over washed my face over these past few years, but I really don't know what has gone wrong. I get painful pimples above my ear, between my eye and hairline on either side of my face. As soon as I finally get one to go away one or two more start growing.

Pictures of me were taken today. I plan to keep updating any progress I make and would be VERY thankful for any advice or encouragement. Please help me!

post-55678-1173466492_thumb.jpg

post-55678-1173466499_thumb.jpg

post-55678-1173466507_thumb.jpg

post-55678-1173466492_thumb.jpg

post-55678-1173466499_thumb.jpg

post-55678-1173466507_thumb.jpg

more proof that BP is horrible for skin

in exchange for a slightly shorter time to fade the inflammation and bacteria you get dry/flaky skin on the spot and surrounding area and red marks that can last years

Hello!

I am very sorry to hear you are upset with your skin, but like most of us on this site, we are all upset with our skin. What you could be experiencing with the Panoxyl Bar is an initial break out, possibly, but if it is burning that may not be a good sign. Also, you could be washing your face too roughly, or maybe the Panoxyl Bar just isn't right for you. I know from my experiences over the last three years the cleansers I use on my face don't usually clear up my acne amazingly, it's usually the treatment I use. I found that when I was using 100% pure tea tree oil that the spots would become less painful and go down in size considerably. But of course with treatments such as tea tree oil and benzyl peroxide they tend to really dry out the skin so a suitable moisturizing is beneficial.

But no matter what you are telling yourself, you are still incredibly pretty and you shouldn't feel ugly just because of some skin blemishes. Try to not let acne ruin your life, even though it is hard at times. Spend more time with your boyfriend since he is being supportive of you!

Good luck and remember it's not the end of the world.

:comfort:

Hello!

I am very sorry to hear you are upset with your skin, but like most of us on this site, we are all upset with our skin. What you could be experiencing with the Panoxyl Bar is an initial break out, possibly, but if it is burning that may not be a good sign. Also, you could be washing your face too roughly, or maybe the Panoxyl Bar just isn't right for you. I know from my experiences over the last three years the cleansers I use on my face don't usually clear up my acne amazingly, it's usually the treatment I use. I found that when I was using 100% pure tea tree oil that the spots would become less painful and go down in size considerably. But of course with treatments such as tea tree oil and benzyl peroxide they tend to really dry out the skin so a suitable moisturizing is beneficial.

But no matter what you are telling yourself, you are still incredibly pretty and you shouldn't feel ugly just because of some skin blemishes. Try to not let acne ruin your life, even though it is hard at times. Spend more time with your boyfriend since he is being supportive of you!

Good luck and remember it's not the end of the world.

:comfort:

Doctor? Ha, ha. Yes!! I've put my dermatologist's kids through school with all my visits. And, yes, it does help. A dermatologist can help determine the best course of action to tackle your type of acne. But, do as much research yourself as well and take an active role in your treatment. A lot of derms. will spend about 5 minutes with you, write you a bunch of prescriptions and hand you a bill. If you have questions, stop them from doing this and tell them that you have questions and concerns that you want addressed. If they won't take the time to talk to you about your concerns, find one that will.

Best of luck!!

If I were you I would stop with all the harsh products. Just use a simple cleanser like Purpose or Cetaphil and a little bit of BP if you HAVE to just to spot treat. Give your face a break for a few days. It will thank you!!!

I've noticed less is more. The more ingredients you use the more chance of becoming irritated you have.

Doctor? Ha, ha. Yes!! I've put my dermatologist's kids through school with all my visits. And, yes, it does help. A dermatologist can help determine the best course of action to tackle your type of acne. But, do as much research yourself as well and take an active role in your treatment. A lot of derms. will spend about 5 minutes with you, write you a bunch of prescriptions and hand you a bill. If you have questions, stop them from doing this and tell them that you have questions and concerns that you want addressed. If they won't take the time to talk to you about your concerns, find one that will.

Best of luck!!

If I were you I would stop with all the harsh products. Just use a simple cleanser like Purpose or Cetaphil and a little bit of BP if you HAVE to just to spot treat. Give your face a break for a few days. It will thank you!!!

I've noticed less is more. The more ingredients you use the more chance of becoming irritated you have.

Best of luck!!

Thank you very much for the advice. When you say does 'help' does that mean it's still gonna be rough? My sis's boyfriend said he had some pimples in college and took acutane for 3 months and has been virtually blemish free save it but one here and there for ten years now.

I plan to ask a million questions and to tell them my long, sad sob story.

Best of luck!!

Thank you very much for the advice. When you say does 'help' does that mean it's still gonna be rough? My sis's boyfriend said he had some pimples in college and took acutane for 3 months and has been virtually blemish free save it but one here and there for ten years now.

I plan to ask a million questions and to tell them my long, sad sob story.

Thanks everyone for your input. I'm really interested in hearing about people's trips to the derm/dr. and wether or not it helped or how it helped and what different types of meds they put you on.

I'm sooo nervous for my appointment tomorrow. I'm more nervous/excited than I was to find out what sex my baby was, lol, that's terrible!

I went to the derm when I was in high school. It took several changes of oral antibiotics, along with topical creams to find a combo that worked for me. When I went to the derm my acne was severe. My face had a purplish hue from all the inflamed pimples, pustules. The antibiotic sulfa ended up working for me along with the topicals, differin and erythromiacin. I stayed clear while on this regimen from the derm through high school after that and the first couple years of college.

I didn't want to take antibiotics my whole life though, so now I am on the Dan Kern's regimen. I've been on for a month and a half and I really like it so far. I think going to the derm is a good starting point, but long term antibiotics aren't good for you.

Hang it there, and I wish you good luck!

I hear that the BP is irritating your skin, and that it's tolerating the Mary Kay extra emollient well.

BP works by killing bacteria. Ordinary triple antibiotic ointment (that you put on a cut under your band-aid) will kill bacteria, and it's usually in a medium similar to what's in the Mary Kay cream. You might try that for your spot treatment until you talk to the doctor. I have used it when my skin is getting irritated, and found it worked at least as well as BP with no irritation at all.

If you've found your acne is suddently worse than it used to be, then you definitely should talk to a doctor, because it could be there's an underlying problem causing the change in your skin, and you want that checked out. Make sure to ask about that. Also, I think I've heard some people actually get worse acne with BCP's instead of the other way 'round, so if the breakouts got worse within a month of starting them, I'd ask about that.

Alright, I'm back from the doctor. She was very nice and helpful. I asked about accutane, but she said I have to go through at least four months of "experiments" before I can take that.

My first experiment: Differin and I forgot, sorry. It's a kind of tonic you roll onto your face. I'll post before pics tomorrow and once a week for the next 8 weeks of this experiment. I really do hope it works, I don't want to take accutane unless I have to... I just want something that works!! Is that so much to ask?

Same thing happened to me a few years ago. Derm "experimented" for about 3 months and then went on tane. Hopefully you clear up before he puts you on the tane because that stuff is killer. Gave me nosebleeds, dried up my face horribly and gave me crazy chapped lips but it did turn my severe acne into mild-moderate acne so it balanced out somewhat. GL with differin. I hope it clears you up. :dance:

Same thing happened to me a few years ago. Derm "experimented" for about 3 months and then went on tane. Hopefully you clear up before he puts you on the tane because that stuff is killer. Gave me nosebleeds, dried up my face horribly and gave me crazy chapped lips but it did turn my severe acne into mild-moderate acne so it balanced out somewhat. GL with differin. I hope it clears you up. :dance:

With Differin, you want to use a small amount -- just enough to get a thin layer all over your face. Somewhere between a pea and a dime sounds okay to me.

Did you get some instructions with it? Usually with topical retinoids, you need to ease into the usage so that your skin won't get dry and irritated. Differin is one of the milder ones, but even so, I think you should only use it every other night for the first week, just to see how your skin reacts.

With this type of product, LESS is MORE. Go slowly and be patient. If you overdo it in the first few days, you aren't going to be happy.

A few other tips: be sure you are using a very mild, neutral cleanser. You might also consider adding fish oil supplements to your diet for improved skin health; it can help your skin tolerate the Differin better.

With Differin, you want to use a small amount -- just enough to get a thin layer all over your face. Somewhere between a pea and a dime sounds okay to me.

Did you get some instructions with it? Usually with topical retinoids, you need to ease into the usage so that your skin won't get dry and irritated. Differin is one of the milder ones, but even so, I think you should only use it every other night for the first week, just to see how your skin reacts.

With this type of product, LESS is MORE. Go slowly and be patient. If you overdo it in the first few days, you aren't going to be happy.

A few other tips: be sure you are using a very mild, neutral cleanser. You might also consider adding fish oil supplements to your diet for improved skin health; it can help your skin tolerate the Differin better.

I take 6-8 capsules daily .... but I'm no expert on supplements, really, that just seems to be the right amount for me. You might research this further in Diet/Holistic if you are interested.

If the doc said you could go nightly with the Differin, then by all means do ... but if your face starts to feel at all sore, or look red and sunburned, take a day or two off until things go back to normal. Irritation won't help your acne.

Thank you LionQueen for the advice. You seem like a smart lady who knows her stuff!

Well, this is Day 2. I noticed last night I had developed a tiny, tiny, tiny little whitehead, which is weird. Usually they're big inflamed red dots that turn into whiteheads after a few days, so I didn't mind the little guy. Again there was some drama about the amount to apply (of Differin). I squeezed out somewhere between a pea and dime sized amount and then dotted it all around my face and rubbed it in which was a tip I read on this board somewhere. This morning my face felt fine. I did however develop a second tiny, tiny, tiny little white head.

The antibiotic I roll on my face stung a bit, but again an hour later my skin wasn't dry at all so I went without moisturizer.

I also started taking a fish oil caplet and primose oil caplet with every meal and I have been drinking grean tea in the morning.

For once I'm not totally depressed. Yesterday I thought to myself, after receiving some complaints from my boss about my work (which I believe are due to me being depressed)... I thought - I can either sit here in this rut and feel sorry for myself and sink further and further or I can suck it up and just be happy and not lose my job over it. So, that's what I'm doing.

Good for you. :D

BTW, fish oil helps to fight depression too. It's good stuff. And I would advise 2 capsules per meal (I was reading up a little bit on it in the D/H forum yesterday).

Good for you. :D

BTW, fish oil helps to fight depression too. It's good stuff. And I would advise 2 capsules per meal (I was reading up a little bit on it in the D/H forum yesterday).

I've discovered through personal trial and error that the products we used as teens on our faces are probably not the products we should be using as adults. Our skin changes over time typically getting more dry as we get older.

Probably that soap you used as a teen maybe to harsh on your skin now.

I would seriously try the most gentle products you can find. I've had acne since I was 8 years old. The regimine i'm on now has made my face look the best it has in years. I'm not 100% clear but my acne went from looking just like your pictures to only a couple pimples here and there. My skin tone and texture is better now than it was 10 years ago.

I would strongly encourage you to try a very gentle regimin with maybe one chemical acne product only in it. DO NOT rub or scrub your face. The jojoba oil is great. I've found that an ACV solution is the best and least irritating exfolator i've come across (thank you Acne.org!) There are threads on it but you can try a mix of 25% Apple Cider Vinegar 25% Lemon Juice and 50% water - it makes a great toner/exfoliator.... and will do wonders for your skin tone.... I swear by it. The smell isn't the best but the results make it worth it for me.

Good luck !

I've discovered through personal trial and error that the products we used as teens on our faces are probably not the products we should be using as adults. Our skin changes over time typically getting more dry as we get older.

Probably that soap you used as a teen maybe to harsh on your skin now.

I would seriously try the most gentle products you can find. I've had acne since I was 8 years old. The regimine i'm on now has made my face look the best it has in years. I'm not 100% clear but my acne went from looking just like your pictures to only a couple pimples here and there. My skin tone and texture is better now than it was 10 years ago.

I would strongly encourage you to try a very gentle regimin with maybe one chemical acne product only in it. DO NOT rub or scrub your face. The jojoba oil is great. I've found that an ACV solution is the best and least irritating exfolator i've come across (thank you Acne.org!) There are threads on it but you can try a mix of 25% Apple Cider Vinegar 25% Lemon Juice and 50% water - it makes a great toner/exfoliator.... and will do wonders for your skin tone.... I swear by it. The smell isn't the best but the results make it worth it for me.

Good luck !