Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fromchicago

Retin - A

There has been a lot of talk about Retin-A and Retan-A micro lately.

Some people have said that it did a lot for them, and I've heard others say that it didn't do anything noticable.

I've also heard that Retain-A "eats away scar tissue," while others claim that the improvements will disapear when you discontinue use. Which is true? Which is not?

Can everyone please post their experience with this topical? Maybe we can get all the info in one place (here).

Thanks in advance.

Hey there. I am currently undergoing a Retin-A Micro .1% regimen and am documenting daily results, so if you need real info from someone using it, just check out my log.

Hey there. I am currently undergoing a Retin-A Micro .1% regimen and am documenting daily results, so if you need real info from someone using it, just check out my log.

Guest ObiWontonKenoli

I'm also curious about this. My skin starts to flake a little bit. Especially the chin which always flake first for me. I'm using Retina Micro .1%

I have not used Retin-A for scar reduction, but my Dermatologist insisted that I use it before my laser surgery (as well as Vitamin C serum) - I do not recall why.

From what I have read, it's essentially a topical that makes you peel and is therefore excellent for acne-prone skin in which the cells tend to build up. I can understand why people would conclude that it's beneficial for scar reduction but cannot speak from experience on this.

I've been on and off retina micro for a while. I just recently went back on it because I realized the papaya peel wasn't going to get in the way of the retina......for some reason, I think it is starting to make my skin look better. But I've never used it consistently for a long period of time, so who knows...maybe this thing really does work if you give it time.

i've used retin-a for a while as well, and it's worked great for me. has cleared up my acne and seems to be helping fade the scars as well.

i've used retin-a for a while as well, and it's worked great for me. has cleared up my acne and seems to be helping fade the scars as well.

It has helped most of my scars. They now are all very very shallow, still there, but people can only see them if they are really paying attention to my face or if I hit some horrible light. Also, even in horrible light they now are anomalies on my face and no longer downcast a shadow.

I've been on retin-a micro for 4 years. It makes my upper layer of skin peel or flake off. However, I do notice that when I stop using it (for smoothbeam), the scars are more noticeable. I think that flaking the upper layer of the skin creates the illusion of "smoothed over" scars, and when that upper, flakey layer is gone, the "truth" comes out. ](*,)

But on that note, I've had great success with smoothbeam and retin-a micro together, although I've never been off it while on smoothbeam so I can't do a pre-post test of the results. I use it primarily to exfoliate, I break out with cysts as soon as I get off it. I don't know how well it works on red marks, I have two and they've been there for months, I got them with sunburns and not acne though. I does help with redmarks that come about by a short-lived cysts, brown marks it hasn't helped at all. I also don't think it helps indentations, but with smoothbeam it might.

It has helped most of my scars. They now are all very very shallow, still there, but people can only see them if they are really paying attention to my face or if I hit some horrible light. Also, even in horrible light they now are anomalies on my face and no longer downcast a shadow.

When you say fade scars are you talking about red marks or indentations?

Guest ObiWontonKenoli

My face starts to peel more and more. I didn't use anything last night, but almost the entire night my face felt itchy. I rubbed and scratched my temples and cheeks a little bit. After a while I realized there are quite a few dead/flaky skins off. Went to sleep. This morning, I noticed quite a few redness and face felt quite smooth. I'm gonna keep doing this [-o<

I've been using retin a 0.05% for 6 months now.I've also had 3 N lites and 2 sessions of subcision during that time.

My deep scars are now hardly visible and the shallow scars have disappeared. I still have some red marks but they have faded considerably. I have not been taking any vitamins and only use a moisturiser during the day.

I no longer have acne.

I'm very happy with the results.I never expected such a huge improvement. I now also use mandelic acid serum. I think the mandelic is helping with the red marks.

I've been using retin a 0.05% for 6 months now.I've also had 3 N lites and 2 sessions of subcision during that time.

My deep scars are now hardly visible and the shallow scars have disappeared. I still have some red marks but they have faded considerably. I have not been taking any vitamins and only use a moisturiser during the day.

I  no longer have acne.

I'm very happy with the results.I never expected such a huge improvement. I now also use     mandelic acid serum. I think the mandelic is helping with the red marks.

Guest ObiWontonKenoli

that, plus I think the vitamin A also?

I've been on Retin A off and on for many years--all three strengths-- for acne in past years-- it helped somewhat. I'm back on it for scars and just for all over better skin. My derm says it helps with healing. It does have Vit A in it. I don't think it falls into the class of an exfoliator. The drying/peeling is a side effect and usually the skin adjusts. You only need to apply a pea size amount and rub it away from corners of mouth, grooves/folds of chin, sides of nose, etc... It remodels the skin acting on the follicle somehow. It 's primary target is for comedones, or blackheads, but can help cystic acne to a degree. For scars, it would help over long period of time. It probably has helped my scars some, but I feel the combination of all the things I'm doing are working.

Sapphire

the abstract of the article:

Tretinoin-iontophoresis in atrophic acne scars.

Schmidt JB, Donath P, Hannes J, Perl S, Neumayer R, Reiner A.

Department of Dermatology, Institute of Clinical Pathology, University of Vienna Medical School, Austria.

BACKGROUND: Atrophic acne scars are a frequent problem after acne. Hitherto, mainly invasive treatment measures were possible. In a recent paper, we demonstrated the positive effects of iontophoresis with 0.025% tretinoin gel vs. estriol 0.03%. OBJECTIVE: In this further study, the recording of the clinical effects of iontophoresis with 0.025% tretinoin gel in atrophic acne scars was supplemented by immunohistochemistry investigations of collagen I and III, proliferation markers, and the estimation of epidermal thickness. METHODS: The treatment was performed twice weekly in 32 volunteer patients for a period of 3 months by application of the substance under a constant direct current of 3 mA for 20 min. Skin biopsies prior to and at the end of treatment were performed in 32 voluntary patients in order to investigate collagen I/III and proliferation markers by immunohistochemistry methods. RESULTS: Clinically, at the end of treatment, in 94% of patients a significant decrease in the scar depth was observed. Neither epidermal thickness nor proliferation markers revealed a significant increase at the end of treatment. Furthermore, collagen I and collagen III showed no common trend, as expressed statistically by a lack of significance. In some cases, increases in collagen III became evident at the end of treatment. CONCLUSIONS: Tretinoin-iontophoresis is an effective, noninvasive treatment of atrophic acne scars without causing disturbing side-effects.

another abstract:

Int J Dermatol. 1995 Jan;34(1):53-7.

New treatment of atrophic acne scars by iontophoresis with estriol and tretinoin.

Schmidt JB, Binder M, Macheiner W, Bieglmayer C.

Department of Special and Environmental Dermatology, Vienna, Austria.

BACKGROUND. Common treatment of atrophic acne scars consists of invasive methods such as dermabrasion, chemopeeling, or implantation of bovine collagen. In our study a new noninvasive treatment method consisting of local iontophoresis is demonstrated. Local iontophoresis was performed with either estriol--a mainly topically active estrogen--or with tretinoin. PATIENTS AND METHODS. Eighteen women were treated with estriol iontophoresis twice weekly for a period of 3 months. In addition to photographic and clinical documentation of the skin, venous blood for determination of serum levels of prolactin and estradiol according to standard radioimmunoassay methods was obtained monthly. Tretinoin iontophoresis was performed according to the same time schedule in 28 patients (19 women and 9 men) with atrophic acne scars. RESULTS. Improvement of acne scars was observed in 93% of patients treated with tretinoin iontophoresis and in 100% of the group treated with estriol iontophoresis. No hormonal changes were noted in the estrogen group. Side effects involving the skin appeared in the tretinoin group in 4 cases and consisted of increased dryness and of retinoid dermatitis. CONCLUSION. Both treatments were shown to be clinically effective in decreasing acne scars and persistence of effects. This promising new therapeutic approach may thus replace invasive treatment methods in many patients.

Publication Types:

Clinical Trial

Controlled Clinical Trial

I used retin a micro, all it did was turn my face red and it made OLD SCARS that DISAPPEARED years ago RESURFACE. I was pissed to say the least. I used it for about 11 weeks.

Julian,

I had really red face for at least 7 month from tretinoin (retin-a)... ](*,) It is just pink now (if i don't use other products). The amount you apply on your skin does make the difference too!

I think 11 weeks are not enough to see real results, we are talking about scars here!

A pea-sized amount of the Micro Gel is REALLY all one should use. I applied more of it a few times (the gel looks so benign) and I really paid the price for it with tight, peeling and super-inflamed skin that lasted for DAYS! Now I use LESS than a pea-sized amount and I DON'T use it every night, either!