Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
barb9000

Barb's Accutane Log

Hi Barb. Have you found any product that's been helping with the rashes? I've been on Accutane for a month now, and as of last week, no more rashes! (they were mostly on the tops of my hands and my neck) While body moisturizers, like Eucerin and Neutrogena Norweigan Formula helped, nothing treated the rashes better than good old Cortaid/coritzone cream. It should work because it's specifically formulated to be anti-itch, anti-rash, whereas moisturizers are to...well...moisturize. =) Wish you well!

That's cool then Barb if you've tried less makeup and it's not helped.

I would alter the face wash and moisturiser and see how you go.

Have you also tried an allergy tablet? Possibly might help if it's an allergy.

I know Dans gel made my face red raw, dry and itchy, I think it was one of the preservatives.

Go get yourself some allergens and top to toe, give it a few days and see how you're feeling/looking.

Good luck!

I'm in Essex near lakeside, luckily as I spend so much time there buying products haha. Though recently I've found a combo that seems to work really well.

Sasson - were your rashes on your face or body? Mine are more like patches than a rash and are slightly raised, very red, irritated, itchy, and dry to the point of being slightly scaly, and they are on my face. The ones on my temples seem to be getting worse / spreading.

Unfortunately I am in the UK and there are not really any hydrocortisone creams that I can get OTC.

Yes, I have tried taking allergy tablets but they do not seem to be helping - I think that what I have is more irritant related - I am going to try to use as few products as possible and see how it goes - thanks for all the help Mav, you are great. :cool:

I guess with all info you've provided my suggestion would be the new face wash and moisturiser.

I find that Jojoba (as with any oil) can increase the appearance of redness though not cause it.

I hate it when my face is irritated but I love buying a new product that actually works and takes it away. Fingers crossed!

Yeah - I'm hopeful that some changes will make a difference - if by Friday nothing has changed or it has gotten worse, I will go to the derm on Monday (oh God another £180 so soon?!?!?)

Even though I ordered the Allergenics cream online, I'm gonna stop by Boots on my way home and check it out.

Barb, don't pay another £180, wait until your next appt.

I guess other things to consider are prefumes, washing powders, hair spray (products) even down to shampoo. Speaking of which you can even use Top to toe on your hair.

I'm sure we'll figure it out and hopefully the Allergens will help alleviate the symptoms until then.

Hang in there Barb! I am slightly ahead of you in my regime and definetely found that things got WORSE before better (although I may be speaking too soon). For myself I found that I had to completely stop all makeup and wear alot of moisturizer (I use Cetaphil), and continuously reapply throughout the day. This meant looking not so pleasant (I could tell my colleagues were wondering what on earth happened to me) but I had to suck it up. Short term pain for long term gain! I also got red rashes/marks/peeling etc. You should probably ask your doctor about the eczema, he may have a fix for you. I know how you are feeling though. I felt so down and out last week, like accutane was creating more problems than I had intitially. This week, however, I can see definite improvement and things are looking up. Hang in there. Clear Skin! Clear Skin!

Thanks Funkypants! It is so good to have the support of people who know what I am going through (somewhat...) - my husband is very supportive but there are times when he just cannot understand what it feels like to have a face like this, and it is frustrating for him when I get depressed and he cannot do anything. He is very sensitive and all, but he doesn't understand why it gets me sooo down. It is helpful to have you guys to boost my spirits and help me realise that it is probably just a phase...

So Maverick - guess what - I think you were right about my existing cleanser/moisturiser being the culprit... I thought I was doing my skin a favor by using Simple Purifying Cleansing Lotion (it's creamy and non-foaming) - but after using a little of Dan's cleanser with a little Top to Toe last night (I couldn't decide which one to use!), I did not burn at all after washing. Normally when I apply my moisturiser (Simple Light Hydrating Moisturiser) it BURNS and itches - so I also bought a new moisturiser (Oilatum Natural Repair Face Cream - for eczema skin) - my face did not burn or itch at all and the redness seemed to calm down a bit. This morning it seemed to be less red and definitely less inflamed. Thank you so much for the advice!

I am going to continue using these products and the Allergenics once it arrives (could not find it at Boots) and hopefully this will clear up those patches so my skin can heal properly...

I feel hopeful now and in a much better mood today than yesterday!

Other than that this is Day 6 on Roaccutane and no real side effects to speak of other than dry skin... (but this could also be attributed to the dermatitis) - my nose is still oily. My eyes are slightly dry.

Great news barb, I love the top to toe. I've always wondered what the Oilatum products were like.

Have you tried moisturising eye drops for your dry eyes?

Hey there - yes, I have some eye drops, but I don't want to use them unless the dryness bothers me enough... I have only used them once so far. I can say that I like the Oilatum cream that I bought last night, mostly because it did not sting my face... BUT it is very greasy/shiny. I would not recommend it for everyday moisturising really.

My only complaint about the Top to Toe is that it is scented. I wish they had an unscented version. It just feels wrong putting scented products on my face. But it was nice anyway.

So - I looked in the mirror a little while ago and man do I look crap!!! I wish I did not feel the need to wear makeup while at work, but I do. It would be nice to not have any on, and just remoisturise... I think I will try that as soon as my red patches calm down a bit more - I'm just gonna tell my coworkers to expect a scary sight! :shifty:

Hi Barb. I know the feeling of going into the bathroom and thinking "HOLY #$^! I look AWFUL" Sometimes I feel like my coworkers are wondering what on earth is happening to me. One thing that I have found useful when I have to wear makeup is to first of all wear very minimal makeup, then bring my facewash, lotion and minimal makeup to work, then during lunch do a face wash, reapply lotion and light makeup. I find that otherwise by the end of the day your makeup is literally flaking off your face. Good Luck! I find things got a lot better for me this week, although I am still peeling alot.

My only complaint about the Top to Toe is that it is scented. I wish they had an unscented version. It just feels wrong putting scented products on my face. But it was nice anyway.

I love the smell, so fresh and natural.

http://www.johnsonsbaby.com/product.do?id=...&filterID=0

Have a read of that, quite reassuring of how gentle it is. Remember it's for babies skin and has to be ultra gentle.

The Boots Lutsine Hydrafina moisturiser is great, zero shine, not as moisturing as oilatum I'm sure but maybe good for daytime? Add a few drops of Jojoba and it should be great.

Funkypants - that is a good idea - I am just a little wary of how long it would take... my face is pretty highly screwed up at the moment, so reapplying makeup takes a while... I really am considering not wearing any if my redness subsides a bit... I think my skin wouldn't look so freaky if I could just moisturise it more and not have this really obvious flaky layer of weird looking makeup sitting over my skin. I'm not sure it's fooling anybody. Even though I hate my redness, I prefer the look of my skin in it's natural state when it has had a chance to calm down a bit after washing and moisturising.

I will ask my hubbie to take more pics of my face tonight so you guys can see exactly what I mean when I say 'yuck.' My sister told me I was brave for posting such clear pics of my skin online - haha - I think she's right. See the problem with my skin is, it is crap all over. Most of you out there with acne have perfectly healthy skin in between your spots - not me. Except for a few areas on my face, my skin is pretty much 99% bad. Sigh.

Yeah Mav - I'm definitely giving the Top to Toe another go tonight. Right now my skin feels like it's got a crusty layer on it - I am so tempted to lightly exfoliate, but I know I shouldn't

Anyways - I have not given up. I do have hope that I'm going to come out of this with better skin. :)

Ok - so in the shower last night I just HAD to exfoliate. My patches were just scaled over with dry skin, it felt like even if I applied the Oilatum, it was not getting to the root of the problem because it could not penetrate the scaly layer. I used a cloth and Dan's cleanser and GENTLY exfoliated. It felt great. I did not attempt to remove every flake, so when I got out, I was quite flaky, but it worked out well.

I am less red again today, and less irritated, though the patches are still clearly visible. I cannot thank you enough for your advice Maverick, you have really helped me a lot.

I also decided not to wear any makeup on my patches today so that I can moisturise them throughout the day. Although I was a bit self-conscious on the way to work, it actually felt refreshing to feel the air on my bare skin, to let my skin 'breathe.'

I feel great not wearing any makeup - I am going to try to keep this up for as long as I can. Of course, I did put some concealer on my mega-zits... I currently have 2 big active cyst/nodule things that are really sick, but hopefully they will go away soon...

My husband took some pics of my face last night, but they are just so hideous I can't bring myself to post them... :doubt:

That camera is too good - it makes things look horrible! Please tell me that's not what I look like, because that's not what I see in the mirror! Haha

Oh - forgot - Day 7 - no new side effects, no real change in skin, still breaking out as I was before the Tane. A bit of insomnia last night... I was basically awake from 2am to 3.30am...

Hey Barb, glad the redness is slowly residing.

You know, so many are against exfoliating but I am certain that moisturiser can't do it's job properly with a layer of dead skin.

I exfoliate daily. A wash cloth in a warm shower is a great method, so don't worry about doing harm to your skin, you're being gentle and that's the main thing.

I imagine in a few days you'll be looking much better, less dry patches and less redness.

Remember each night while your sleep your skin will be repairing.

I have read a few things on vaseline and I'm half tempted to try it at night :P

P.S Post the photos you big wuss, remember we're all in the same boat and all have days when our skin looks worse, and yes cameras can really make your skin look far worse than it actually does, as do car mirrors!

Hahahaha - ok ok! Here are a couple profile pics - the red patches do not look as distinct on camera as they do in person - they are clearly visible when I look in the mirror. They are basically on both of my temples, going down onto both upper cheeks and also crossing over under my eyes to the sides of my nose. So basically, everywhere. haha

I'm a bit shiny cause of the greasy Oilatum and you can get a good look at the doozy of a spot on my upper lip. That one is nasty... can't wait for it to go.

My god! I was expecting your skin to look WAY worse.

It's not looking bad, the odd spot and a tad of redness but the spots will be gone soon with the accutane and hopefully the redness will be gone in a few days.

btw have you ever tried vaseline on the dry patches?

Haha - you make me laugh...

I have tried Vaseline, I'd say about a week ago I smeared some on hoping to get some relief... It did nothing to moisturise, but it did not burn, and it did not make me break out... so, I guess I would not be afraid to use it again in the future. It just didn't do anything for me. It's funny, the patches feel almost break-out proof as they are just too dry to even produce a zit. That's one good thing I guess.

On a side effect note:

I have been getting mild headaches over the last couple days, that kind right behind your eyes, but they come and go really quickly and they are not very strong. My lips are also way more chapped today as I have not been applying any lip balm to see if they were really chapped or not. And I've got my answer now so it's back to the balm for me!

I have been getting mild headaches over the last couple days,

Side effect of what? the accutane of the stressing over dry patches? :lol:

I bought a tub of vaseline today as I've read some good things about it, another member posted that she tried it out of desperation as nothing else would get rid of the dried chapped skin. I imagine it would take a few days to really work and I'd use it all over.

I'm gonna use it tonight as an all over application.

It feels great on my lips ;). I've been using Carmex but I'm certain it has something in it that dries my lips out and causes me to keep needing more.

Sasson - were your rashes on your face or body? Mine are more like patches than a rash and are slightly raised, very red, irritated, itchy, and dry to the point of being slightly scaly, and they are on my face. The ones on my temples seem to be getting worse / spreading.

Unfortunately I am in the UK and there are not really any hydrocortisone creams that I can get OTC.

Hi, again! I'm so glad to read that you've found the culprit causing you so much trouble! And to answer your question, my rashes appeared on the sides of my cheek areas and went down to my neck in random scaly, irritated patches. Can you get an ointment like Neosporin? That (and face lotion) really helped the rashes to heal.

--edit--

Another suggestion: real aloe vera (the ones sold in a bottle stung my skin). Like I said, I was getting rashes in the beginning. So I bought a small aloe vera plant, and chopped a small piece off and used the gel to massage my face. Short story short, it worked after a week of application. Recently, I even began using aloe with my moisturizer (wash face, apply aloe, let dry, apply moisturizer, hit the pillow), and it feels great.

I hope you're not overwhelmed by all these suggestions. I wish you well, though ~

Day 8 - I think the redness from the Tane has started to kick in - my face in general seems more pink today, which has nothing to do with the red patches (these look slightly more pronounced today, but I think it's due to the overall redness). It's nothing too bad though. My skin seems pretty healthy except for the giant spot above my lip which has only gotten worse since yesterday. God, it's disgusting. I only have the same two big spots... plus a few random tiny ones that do not bother me at all. Other than that my face is clear with lots of clogged pores/blackheads.

My scalp is sore, kinda like it's been sunburned...

I think those are my only side effects, besides chapped lips, but that doesn't matter because... (see next paragraph).

Maverick - if you want a good lip balm, you REALLY should try Neutrogena Norwegian Formula Immediate Repair Lip Balm - this stuff is the best balm I have ever used. My lips were always chapped even before Tane, nothing would really moisturise them... but after a few applications of the Norwegian Formula, they are totally healed. My lips were sooo chapped yesterday because I didn't apply any balm for 24 hours to see if the Tane was causing chappiness... but then I just applied the balm a few times over the course of a couple hours and they were good as new. It actually heals my lips, it is amazing. I got it at Boots, but it wasn't in the section with the Vaseline and other lip balms, it was in the moisturiser section with the other Norwegian Formula products.

Sasson - I really do appreciate the suggestions - but I have a question for you regarding the aloe. Every time I have cut a piece of aloe off the plant, the 'gel' always looks really green and slimy and smells a bit. Did I just have nasty plants, or does yours look like this too? I always imagined it would be clear and fresh.

I imagine clear is once it's been filtered n stuff. I love the 99.9% pure aloe vera from Holland and Barratt.

I used vaseline all over my skin last night and my god, my skin feels SO soft and healthy, I don't think anything has moisturised it this well before. Plus I put it on my lips and they are STILL moist 9 hours later!

I will check out the neutrogena, be handy to carry around, although at the moment I'm *trying* to use the most simple products I can, so I know exactly what's going on.

God I wish I was on accutane too! :P. My skin looks pretty good but I don't feel like I can rely on it, I know it's possible something can go wrong, accutane is more the long term answer I think.