Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
funkypants

FunkyPant's Accutane Log

I have spent a fair bit of time reading other peoples logs and they really helped me in making my decision to start accutane. There are so many great success stories on here, which I really needed to hear given all the negative information one finds on the internet.

I am starting my own log to both share my experiences with others and track my progress. I am a 24 year old gal and have had moderate acne since I was 13. My skin cycles between ok and horrible depending on how stressed I am, but it has been persistent for the past 11 years. I have tried EVERY other treatment option without luck.

I started accutane on February 24th, 40mg/day and am expected to stay on this dose for 4 to 5 months. My symptoms in the first week have included: dry lips, very red eyes, 3 sty's on my eyelids, breakouts-both cystic and white heads, also looks like blackheads are coming to the surface, peeling skin on my face, some headaches, some joint and muscle pain, a rosey/sun burn look to the face, and I am sleepier than usual. I have also been a bit 'down' in the past few days, but I wouldn't attribute it to accutane. I just had some big excitement in my life and am now back to the same old routine, and think I am just experiencing the blah's of going back to real life. My mom suggested I decrease my dose because of all the symptoms I have experienced already (she has also been on accutane). I, however, feel like the symptoms mean it's working. I want to fight this acne and get rid of it forever! I also don't want to be on accutane for longer than I need to and decreasing my dose will increase the duration of treatment. Today is Day 9 of accutane. So far so good. I look forward to sharing my experience with all of you, and hearing your stories as well.

:dance:

I have spent a fair bit of time reading other peoples logs and they really helped me in making my decision to start accutane. There are so many great success stories on here, which I really needed to hear given all the negative information one finds on the internet.

I am starting my own log to both share my experiences with others and track my progress. I am a 24 year old gal and have had moderate acne since I was 13. My skin cycles between ok and horrible depending on how stressed I am, but it has been persistent for the past 11 years. I have tried EVERY other treatment option without luck.

I started accutane on February 24th, 40mg/day and am expected to stay on this dose for 4 to 5 months. My symptoms in the first week have included: dry lips, very red eyes, 3 sty's on my eyelids, breakouts-both cystic and white heads, also looks like blackheads are coming to the surface, peeling skin on my face, some headaches, some joint and muscle pain, a rosey/sun burn look to the face, and I am sleepier than usual. I have also been a bit 'down' in the past few days, but I wouldn't attribute it to accutane. I just had some big excitement in my life and am now back to the same old routine, and think I am just experiencing the blah's of going back to real life. My mom suggested I decrease my dose because of all the symptoms I have experienced already (she has also been on accutane). I, however, feel like the symptoms mean it's working. I want to fight this acne and get rid of it forever! I also don't want to be on accutane for longer than I need to and decreasing my dose will increase the duration of treatment. Today is Day 9 of accutane. So far so good. I look forward to sharing my experience with all of you, and hearing your stories as well.

:dance:

I have upped my water intake aswell and drinking alot of herbal teas, seems to help a bit.

Today is Day 10!

Time is going really quickly. I still have an annoying reddish hue to my face, looks like a mild sunburn. Does anyone else have this, how long can I excpect it to last? My nose is still peeling and makeup looks awful on me now, but I also don't want to go out with a zitty face. Ah what a predicament. I woke up with a crusty bloody nose this morning so I bought a humidifier today, and am going to use it at night I also ordered Dr. Dan's lip balm online as I have heard it is nothing short of miraculous. Last night after a shower I COVERED myself with cream so I looked totally white, let the lotion sink in, and went to bed a greasy gal. THis morning I woke up with lovely soft skin. I also coated my lips THICK with vaseline so they couldn't dry out during my sleep and that worked really well. I have no new pimples today but two under the skin wonders are still sticking it out. Also general redness blotchiness and scars, red eyes and dry hair. Feeling uber HOT right about now :wacko: . Will stick it out for clear skin though!

I have upped my water intake aswell and drinking alot of herbal teas, seems to help a bit.

Today is Day 10!

Time is going really quickly. I still have an annoying reddish hue to my face, looks like a mild sunburn. Does anyone else have this, how long can I excpect it to last? My nose is still peeling and makeup looks awful on me now, but I also don't want to go out with a zitty face. Ah what a predicament. I woke up with a crusty bloody nose this morning so I bought a humidifier today, and am going to use it at night I also ordered Dr. Dan's lip balm online as I have heard it is nothing short of miraculous. Last night after a shower I COVERED myself with cream so I looked totally white, let the lotion sink in, and went to bed a greasy gal. THis morning I woke up with lovely soft skin. I also coated my lips THICK with vaseline so they couldn't dry out during my sleep and that worked really well. I have no new pimples today but two under the skin wonders are still sticking it out. Also general redness blotchiness and scars, red eyes and dry hair. Feeling uber HOT right about now :wacko: . Will stick it out for clear skin though!

Oh no....hahah. Ah well guess I will have to get used to the flushed skin look! Fitnessgurl: I laughed when you commented on your boyfriends response....my boyfriend complains about the fact that I am so greasy when I get into bed, following my new shower regimen. haaha. Hard to kiss when I have vaseline plastered on my lips.

I think I read somewhere here, or on another forum about putting baby oil all over your body after a shower. I tried it last night and WOW it makes for fantastically soft skin. When you get out of the shower, and are still wet, rub baby oil all over your skin. Then towel dry and put lotion on. My skin is the softest ever, even compared to pre accutane!

Today is Day 11! One new small, painful undergrounder under my lip. Other than that nothing new! woo hoo! All the black heads are surfacing, and look gross, but I think it's kinda cool! My hair is quite dry, and I have a bit of an itchy scalp. I bought some hard core conditioner from my hairdresser yesterday (Redken Butter), and it seems to help. I also bought a humidifier but it is too noisey, so I am going to return it for a quieter version. Not sure that it helped either. Face is still peeling a fair bit, so tough not to pull at the pieces of skin (i am a total picker by the way). Had a nose bleed when i woke up this morning. Other than that things are going well. Oh and I wanted to mention that I am really liking Aveeno products, they have a really gentle moisturizing shower gel, and a facial scrub with really small microbeads (so it's not too harsh) to get rid of the flaking skin. I also use cetaphil facial moisturizer which is great. All these product associated costs really add up! But clear skin =priceless :dance:

I'm going downhill skiing this weekend, and I am a bit concerned about the snow/sun factor. I have bough spf 55 lotion to cover my face in!

Hey FunkyPants - thanks for the comment on my log... I hope you keep yours up so we can compare... Interesting cause fitnessgurl has also started recently and we are all on different dosages... I am on 30mg, you are on 40mg, and she is on 80mg (wow!) - also we are all around the same age...

Hey, post some pics if you can so we can see the progress - I am going to try to post tonight. It's good to know others out there know what I have suffered through and that we are finally doing something to kick this acne in the ass!

You have had the whole gamut of side effects it sounds like - but they don't sound tooooo bad - hang in there, I hear they get better. My derm put me on 30mg because he said he wanted to limit side effects... he said if I experienced nosebleeds or EXTREMELY dry skin that we might lower my dose to 25mg next month. I am somewhat sceptical of his outlook on dosing and he does not follow the 'cumulative dose' rule of 120-150mg/kg over the course of treatment as a rule, but he has cleared/cured many people I know of, so I guess I have faith in his methods.

Good luck and keep us posted, ok?I?

Urgg, I am having a bad accutane night. We went out with a nice dinner with friends and by the time we got home my makeup looked sooooo bad in combination with my peeling/broken out skin. :( I felt all itchy and irritated in bed and being touched by my boyfriend made me cringe because my skin is so sensitive. I've just gotten out of bed and am reading other peoples logs for some motivation to perservere....and hoping it will make me sleepy. :boohoo:

Urgg, I am having a bad accutane night. We went out with a nice dinner with friends and by the time we got home my makeup looked sooooo bad in combination with my peeling/broken out skin. :( I felt all itchy and irritated in bed and being touched by my boyfriend made me cringe because my skin is so sensitive. I've just gotten out of bed and am reading other peoples logs for some motivation to perservere....and hoping it will make me sleepy. :boohoo:

Is your itchiness mostly on your body, or face, or both? I just noticed within the last hour or so that my face is dry and itchy as hell - already, after 1 day! I hope this doesn't irritate the dry itchy patches i already had too much! And hi fitnessgurl! Can't wait to see how we all progress...

barb9000-I am not actually "itchy" per say. More irritable, ie. doesn't feel great to have my skin touched and it's very sensitive. My scalp, however, does get itchy now and again.

Day 13

So I am finding that I am QUITE irritable these days....can I blame Accutane? hehehe. :naughty: No big changes today. I got a small new pimple above my lip last night that came to fruition this morning, and two new pimples on my right cheek, practically on top of each other, lovely. My face is still red, blotchy and scars are sticking around. I am feeling quite conscious about it. I turned down an invite to go out tonight because of my skin....lame I know but I just dont' enjoy being in public like this. I used to be a absolute master with makeup and could cover almost any pimple, but with the dryness of accutane...and the peeling it's hopeless. I HAVE to stop picking though, it's so tough for me not to, but it's becoming very apparent that my skin is way to fragile to pick and pull at it and I am going to make mean scars if I continue. We're heading out of town to go skiing for the weekend and my accutane 'kit' (ie lotions, special body washes, etc.etc) takes up a small bag! hahah. I have never been this high maintenance.! I am packing tons of sunscreen to protect my skin from the sun.

Fitnessgurl and Barb9000 I am so glad we have all started our fight against acne and can follow each other's progress! Here's to clear skin all around! :dance:

barb9000-I am not actually "itchy" per say. More irritable, ie. doesn't feel great to have my skin touched and it's very sensitive. My scalp, however, does get itchy now and again.

Day 13

So I am finding that I am QUITE irritable these days....can I blame Accutane? hehehe. :naughty: No big changes today. I got a small new pimple above my lip last night that came to fruition this morning, and two new pimples on my right cheek, practically on top of each other, lovely. My face is still red, blotchy and scars are sticking around. I am feeling quite conscious about it. I turned down an invite to go out tonight because of my skin....lame I know but I just dont' enjoy being in public like this. I used to be a absolute master with makeup and could cover almost any pimple, but with the dryness of accutane...and the peeling it's hopeless. I HAVE to stop picking though, it's so tough for me not to, but it's becoming very apparent that my skin is way to fragile to pick and pull at it and I am going to make mean scars if I continue. We're heading out of town to go skiing for the weekend and my accutane 'kit' (ie lotions, special body washes, etc.etc) takes up a small bag! hahah. I have never been this high maintenance.! I am packing tons of sunscreen to protect my skin from the sun.

Fitnessgurl and Barb9000 I am so glad we have all started our fight against acne and can follow each other's progress! Here's to clear skin all around! :dance:

Hi there - too bad about the irritability - but I am sure that it is something that will pass. I think the most important thing is that you NOTICE you are irritable, then you can just try to keep it under control - say to yourself that it is not you, it is the medication. I think it's important to stay positive!

What sunscreen are you using? I haven't used one in so long, I am not sure which ones are good for acne prone skin...

Thanks for your messages barb9000 and fitnessgurl, great to have your support!

Day 16

So we went snowshoeing on Saturday and I wore spf 55 sunscreen (Aveeno) and it was an overcast day. I got VERY red, I am not sure if this was a sunburn or if my skin was just irritated by the cold/wind combination. The next morning it had pretty much subsided. We went downhill skiing on Sunday and I wore thicker suncreen (forget the name) spf 30 and didn't burn at all. At lunch time I went into the washroom and noticed that my entire chin was peeling though....hot! On the plus side, I have NO new pimples!!!!! My skin looks the best it has in a loooooong time. I still have a fair amount of red marks but they are subsiding slowly, and there is still peeling happening. The overall red flush look seems to be subsiding as well. All in all I am feeling quite happy with accutane today!

I'm glad to hear that your redness and irritation has subsided a bit - it gives me hope! I can't wait until I feel happy too!

I have a few new pimples today. :( Luckily they are quite small. One is a mini-undergrounder on the side of my nose, one little pimple above my eyebrow, and two small bumps on my lower cheek. Nothing major they are small and seem to be healing quickly. I am still peeling alot, mostly by chin and nose. The skin comes off in flakes that are oh so fun to pick at. :naughty: I am learning not to touch my face because any sort of picking leaves a red mark that lasts days. My skin is so fragile. Black heads are still surfacing, and some are starting to pop ou (COOL!). I am in good spirits these days, which is a huge change from last week's duldrums. The rest of my body seems to be doing well. I have gotten some small rashes on my chest but they never last long. The skin on my body is usually very dry, without accutane, so I am used to moisturizing alot anyways. One other change is that my boyfriend and I have had to start using lubricant...which was never an issue before. Accutane really dries EVERYTHING out. :shifty:

I just went CRAZY and popped many many blackheads in my nose/cheek area. I am soooo bad, but it was so satisfying. :naughty: Of course I have mean redness in this area now....hoping it will be gone by tommorow morning.

Here I am!

Sorry I have been absent...my life has been CRAZY busy. Trying to finish up my masters and working. The plus side...I have had no time to mull over accutane and any side effects!

I am now on Day....47, wowza! Only 53 to go!

My side effects have become quite minimal and very bearable. I still have very chapped lips, peeling/dry nose area and I get a fair number of nasty headaches.

Then there is the happy stuff! My skin is the best it has EVER been. I no longer break out at all, and my blackheads are dying slow deaths!! I hardly have to wear makeup any more, just a little to cover some red marks and scarring I still have. My derm is really pleased with the results and said I can end my treatment earlier if I want to. I am deciding, however to stick it through until June and get the full dose....I never want the acne to come back again. I am appreciative of every second I have with clear skin, I just can't get over it. It is so unreal to me to be able to wake up and go to the gym without worrying about my face. It seems too good to be true. I am so happy that I made the decision to go on accutane, and can't believe it took me so long to take the plunge.

Barb-sounds like you are doing well, I just read your updates. Way to go!

Hey Funkypants! It's great to hear that you have cleared up. I hope that since your last post you have continued to improve.

Keep us posted!