Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sticky_biccie

My Dianette Decision

OK, so I've been on and off Dianette more times then I've had hot dinners.

I know its not prescibed for long term use but after 10 years of this on/off, love/hate relationship, I can honestly say that it is the ONLY thing that works for me - completely clearing my mild/moderate acne.

So Im now at the ripe ole age of 26 and as so many others before me thought ' I must have grown out of this by now!' so I came off it 4 months ago. I have not 'grown' out of it.

So no periods, no baby (not that I was actively trying but after all this time I did wonder if I was still fertile...) and ACNE. Great.

I have made the hard descision of going back on Dianette - if my doctor agrees. I see him on Wednesday. Im willing to fight if I have to. I've bascially heard it all before - try some antibiotics, try some topical treatments. I HAVE USED THESE ALL BEFORE AND THEY DONT WORK! My skin problems are definitley hormonal and add to the fact that I have polycystic ovaries...

I know the risks and the side effects but I can honestly say that I felt GREAT whislt on the dianette - my weight was low and my periods regular. In fact, I have suffered more side effects coming off the dianette - constant bleeding and one time no peiods for 2 years! As for mood swings - I can be pretty moody anyways :-) I'm sure my boyf would agree.

Anyhow, enough rambling. I know this treatment has worked really well for me in the past even though I have no comparison pics or accurate details of how long treatment took to work.

I have therefore decided to document my latest journey so it can help others and help doctors to put me on the right course of treatment for next time. I certainly do not want to stay on Dianette (hell, all BCP) for ever....

So here goes....

Hey,

I was on Dianette for nearly 10 years (started it at 16 for my skin and contraception), doctors never mentioned any long term risks to me and I changed doctors a few times over the years as I moved away to college and then for work.

My skin was practically perfect (maybe still a little oily, but no significant breakouts) the whole time I was on it.

I stopped taking it a couple of years ago when I suffered from depression and I got it into my head that Dianette could be contributing to it, figured my skin would have cleared up by then (age 27). Started taking Yasmin instead as my Dr recommended reports it was still good at preventing breakouts and people had talked about mood uplifts.

I started breaking out really badly, figured it was my hormones adjusting and I'd give it 6 months. Well it's been 2 and a half years and I got over the depression (with the help of Prozac and a job change), but the acne is here to stay. Came off the pill entirely 6 months ago as my partner and I want to start trying for a baby. Now it's my skin that makes me depressed and is a real problem for our sex life too (I'm so obssessed with cleansing my skin, applying topicals and I admit I squeeze too that by the time I get to bed, my partner's asleep or mad with me for taking so long and I feel unconfident about my looks which doesn't help things either.

Want to wish you good luck - I know the Dianette will work for you, but I think it will only work while you're on it and you'll have to go through the pain again when you do stop or change it...I hope I'm wrong but you've had this before, I've had this before and it seems so have many others.

I'm trying a regime of Organic Pharmacy cleansers, toners and topical gel, with Bliss cleansing cream for clogged pores and their Oxygen mask. Also use Dr Hauschka clay mask and Jane Iredale mineral foundation. With this, I'm getting better (I think), except when I pick. Also taking flaxseed oil, multivitamin and using Clarisonic face brush, which I read good things about, and paid a fortune for, but I have to admit I don't really rate.

Btw - in your pictures your face doesn't look too bad - yes you have red marks, but they're really small and I'm sure you can cover them well.

Good luck!

Hi Vic77

Thanks so much for your post. It really struck a cord with me - I think our circumstances sound very similar - i also moved around a lot for college and work and it was only recently that a new doctor told me that I needed to come off it straight away- this was after 10yrs!!! It was like asking me to go cold turkey after years of Dianette dependency!

Well, I went to a 'new' doctor today again. Hard to believe these doctors never check your medical history. Got Dianette without a word of question but I know its just a superficial cure. You're right, As soon as I come off it I will be back too square one again, hopefully, with the help of this forum and my personal log, a little wiser and prepared for the next breakout!

I do feel a bit selfish that I am vain enough to risk my health and potentially my fertility for the sake of good skin. But for me it is all psychological - I had very bad skin at secondary school and it was the worst time of my life. No confidence and no friends.

I hope, like you I can find the courage to come off the pill completely. Although I am defending it by stating I need it for contraception at the moment, I'm not fooling anyone by pretending that's the only reason why I take it.

I just feel repulsive and got to the point where I don't want my boyf to even look at me let alone touch me! I know my skin isn’t as bad as it could be ...yet. Its just very sore, red and bumpy. The redness I can cover but the texture and uneven surface makes makeup look cakey and my spots, if possible, look even worse!

To matter matters worse both my boyf and friends have only really known me 'post acne' so this sudden change in appearance makes me feel more conscious (I just moved to a new town)...

I wish you the all best of luck with your skin and in trying for a baby. I did ask my doctor today if prolonged pill use decreased chances of fertility and she said thankfully said no. I could never sacrifice the chance to have a baby for the sake of acne - I am sooo broody at the mo! i hope in the next 6 months to a year I can slowly wean off Dianette with the help of a change in diet. and regime. I'm also just started taking Apple Cider Vinegar internally and some other things as mentioned on the forum (except the aspirin mask - man did that make me break out!)

Did Yasmin not work at all for you? I was also thinking about taking that. My doctor says its my only other option - this or Marvel (or something like that). I said I would think about it. It's still a BCP which is the key problem and who knows if it will work?

I agree I am also obsessed with my skin at the mo. When I had good skin, I never bothered with anything other than plain old soap and water. Now I have bad skin, I can't help but to use everything - usually all in one go which is obviously a BAD IDEA!

I really appreciated hearing your story. People just can't understand unless they've been through the same thing...

Best of luck

Journal Entry - Dianette & Zineryt

Started Dianette last night. Hope that was OK coz you're supposed to take it on first day of period but since I came off it only 4 months ago, I still haven't had a period. Definitely not pregnant so I guess this is OK.

Weird how doctors always seem to give conflicting advice. My last doctor said this was OK anyway (I have moved around a lot and had like 6 diff doctors in last 8 years).

Also appling Zineryt topically. Anyone tried this? Will post my skin results after a week.

Hey,

good luck with the Dianette. I know I'm getting desperate for something to work. I'm considering changing jobs at the moment, which would delay our plans to start a family for a few months and I found myself thinking yesterday, "so, maybe I could go back on Dianette for 6 months and do a massive detox or something so that when I'm ready to come off it again, my skin will stay clear". I don't know.

I ordered a red/blue light box from beautyskin (renting for £36 a month) and I'm hoping that's going to help, 'cos nothing else seems to at the moment.

Yasmin - at the time I thought it didn't help my skin - I went straight from clear on Dianette to some breakouts on Yasmin, but since coming off them both entirely, my skin's got so much worse that I think the Yasmin must have been helping some...

Not heard of Zinyert - what is it?

Hey,

good luck with the Dianette. I know I'm getting desperate for something to work. I'm considering changing jobs at the moment, which would delay our plans to start a family for a few months and I found myself thinking yesterday, "so, maybe I could go back on Dianette for 6 months and do a massive detox or something so that when I'm ready to come off it again, my skin will stay clear". I don't know.

I ordered a red/blue light box from beautyskin (renting for £36 a month) and I'm hoping that's going to help, 'cos nothing else seems to at the moment.

Yasmin - at the time I thought it didn't help my skin - I went straight from clear on Dianette to some breakouts on Yasmin, but since coming off them both entirely, my skin's got so much worse that I think the Yasmin must have been helping some...

Not heard of Zinyert - what is it?

Hello,

Sorry for the delay in reply - had a stressful week!

Well its just gone 3 weeks since I went on Dianette and my skin is definitely clearing up. I remember that Dianette works very quickly for me - I know some people have to wait 3 -6 months before they see any improvement.

I'm definitely thinking the same - take Dianette for a couple of months, gradually changing my diet (I'm not the healthiest of eaters) maybe start taking some supplements to balance out my hormones - I read about some herbal ones - must try and find the name...

I wouldn't bother with Zinyert - its a topical antibiotic and I hated it. Used it for a week and once I stopped using it my face was much less sore. It basically dries the hell out of your skin making it not only still spotty but also flaky, sore, weeping and disgusting. I will not be using it again - still using E45 to get rid of the effects!

So, I'm really interested in the light box. Have you started using it yet? Seen any improvement? If it works I would definitely love to come off the bloody Dianette and start using light therapy instead. I guess its probably not safe to use with the Dianette - the little booklet that comes with the pill says something about not using sun lamps although maybe it means uv lamps for tanning rather than the acne lamps...?

I really hope it's working for you - while the pill is working for me now, I know as soon as I come off it I'll be back to square one again...