Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hhughes

What Brand of Blue Light is Best to Buy

Hi,

I stumbled on to this forum in my acne lamp search... it looks like there are some well informed people on here!

I have a few questions that I hope can be answered.

I am currently looking at getting 2 SciART Blue Light LED lamps for my acne.... is this a good/reputable brand?

Does anyone know how these lamps compare to a ClearLight Lumenis machine?

I have gotten one single ClearLight treatment in the past and it worked absolute wonders... i was hoping to find an at home lamp that could deliver similar results...

I am sure the Lumenis ClearLight machine had higher wattage... or perhaps not.... i really dont know much about the machine other than it worked.

So... does anyone know the difference b/w at home and professional treatments such as Lumenis ClearLight? And is SciART a good buy?

Thanks!!!

Guest ~Wolfy~
I am currently looking at getting 2 SciART Blue Light LED lamps for my acne.... is this a good/reputable brand?

Brand seems to be OK(ish)- although the old bulb looked a bit underpowered. The question is whether the new product is any good. Nobody has ever bought them and reported back yet. From what little I know it could be very good indeed, or not. It depends on how much total light power it can deliver. There's no spec anywhere that I know of.

Does anyone know how these lamps compare to a ClearLight Lumenis machine?

The derm blue lights work the same way as the home versions, but they're typically 10x more intense to minimise hassle of having to travel to get the treatment. On the other hand the cost of the lights is 10x higher to the derm and the derm has to recoup the cost with interest and profit, so they work out much more expensive than the home use lamps in many cases. However sometimes you can get a good deal, particularly if the derm has had the lamp a while and has paid off the costs.

I don't think that the Sci/art is in the same ballpark, it's probably going to be nearer the Beautyskin power (unless you buy several lamps of course.)

I have gotten one single ClearLight treatment in the past and it worked absolute wonders... i was hoping to find an at home lamp that could deliver similar results...

The home use do the same thing, but takes longer to treat (but you don't need to travel anywhere which saves time in a different way) and they're cheaper.

I am sure the Lumenis ClearLight machine had higher wattage... or perhaps not.... i really dont know much about the machine other than it worked.

Yes, ~10x more watts. That means the total treatment time is ~10x lower. (You have to deliver a certain number of watt-seconds (i.e. joules) of 415nm light -320 joules/cm^2 to kill P.Acnes). The skin then heals up taking 6-12 weeks to do that.

Wow! Thanks for the info.

I think i'm going to get 2 LED's which will deliver 300watts of power. And one Red LED as well.

So I'll have three total LED lamps - 2 Blue 1 Red. total of 450watts (300 Blue, 150 Red).

I'm still debating this but if i decide to buy, Im getting this set up. Im wating for the SciART rep to call me back... i hope she is informative.

Thanks Wolfy, I hope there is some feedback on these lights prior to my purchase.

Wow! Thanks for the info.

I think i'm going to get 2 LED's which will deliver 300watts of power. And one Red LED as well.

So I'll have three total LED lamps - 2 Blue 1 Red. total of 450watts (300 Blue, 150 Red).

I'm still debating this but if i decide to buy, Im getting this set up. Im wating for the SciART rep to call me back... i hope she is informative.

Thanks Wolfy, I hope there is some feedback on these lights prior to my purchase.

OK... correction.

I just bought 3 LED lamps from SciART... should be here by SATURDAY.

I thought they were 150watts a piece.... but they are actually 200watts.

So... i'll get 400 total watts of blue and 200 watts of red.

Apparently, they are much brighter than the original di-chromatics they had... i cant compare, but i'll be able to say if they are indeed powerful.

I also talked with a Lumenis ClearLight sales rep.... the machine uses 2 400Watt bulbs... so I will be getting essentially the same amount of wattage for each side of my face if i use both on one side instead of treating both sides of my face simultaneously.

well, stay tuned for a report.

Guest ~Wolfy~
I just bought 3 LED lamps from SciART... should be here by SATURDAY.

I thought they were 150watts a piece.... but they are actually 200watts.

So... i'll get 400 total watts of blue and 200 watts of red.

I think you must have misunderstood. There's no way you can have a 200 watt LEDs. AFAIK they're nearer 20-40 W. Perhaps they are the equivalent of a 200 watt filament bulb though- LEDs are potentially much more efficient, particularly for this, because you only want the light in a very narrow colour range.

hmmm, ok...

you are probably right.

they may be the LED equivalent of 200watts each.

I'll post the complete specs as soon as the bulbs arrive and also comment on their brightness compared to the Lumenis ClearLight machine, which I believe uses flourescent bulbs... but i didnt ask the sales rep what type they were... only know they are 400watts each.