Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I am 25 years old male and have been on some version of Dan's Regimen for about 2 years. My acne had always been mild, but nothing had ever cleared it until that.

I have adjusted the regimen down to:

using Dan's cleanser to wash my face, using Dan's BP gel in a few problem spots that are clear but would not stay that way without BP, moisturizing with Complex 15 (or Aveeno Ultra Calming on the few days I plan on being out in the sun)

*I do this same routine in the morning and at night (oh, and when I shave, I shave in the shower using the cleanser and a Sensor Excel as I have for about 1 1/2 years now, and then I use the Complex 15 as an aftershave)

FIRST ISSUE

Now, in the last 6 weeks, I have suddenly had white flakes on my face. They are only on my cheeks--around where I shave pretty much. I've tried to moisturize more often than normal of late, but it hasn't seemed to help much. I also tried an AHA for a couple of days to see if that changed anything, but no dice.

What should I do to solve this problem first? Could it be using Dan's new Cleanser? I think I've had it for 3 or 4 months and not had problems until now.. but I never had any of this using Basis bar soap. So that's a thought. It could also be the weather getting colder...but again, I didn't have this problem either of the last 2 years.

SECOND ISSUE

I realize now I might want to switch off this regimen if my acne is mild enough that the BP gel is not necessary. What would you suggest in terms of a regimen and in terms of products? Knowing that Basis bar soap and Dan's Cleanser have worked for me, should I stay with Dan's Cleanser? How about Complex 15, Aveeno Ultra Calming, or another moisturizer? And then the whole deal with adding AHA, BHA, and/or jojoba. Or any other suggestions. Thanks so much!

Hello XD

for your FIRST ISSUE: You should consider using Jojoba oil instead of AHA to deal with the flakes.

1. The addition of 3 drops of jojoba oil to your moisturizer upon each application should take care of flakiness entirely. Most oils are not recommended for use with acne prone skin. Jojoba oil is an exception and may actually be beneficial. Its chemical structure closely mimicks that of human skin oil (sebum). Because of this, it may actually convince the skin that it has plenty of sebum and to stop overproducing. Jojoba oil is different from other oils in that it contains no triglyceride component and is non-comedogenic. It also feels nice and has a mild and pleasant scent.