23 members have voted

1. 1. What is it?

• Retin-A
    • Tazorac
    • Differin
    • Green cream
    • Diacneal
    • Other (specify below please)

I don't know if it's safe for me to use one because of my rosacea, but fuck acne i'm not letting it come back.

So please vote. Thank you.

it depends on the severity/type of acne and the person's skin. personally, i've used differin (used it for about 6 years with "ok" results until it started causing me to break out in cysts in the last few months of using it); i've used tazorac (for a few months but it didn't really do anything but dry my skin out horribly); and i've used retin-a micro (which i'm still using. i've been on it for 4 months and i'm about 99% clear when i use it in combination with Duac in the morning. i don't really get anymore cysts and i'll get like once superficial breakout per week, which usually disappears in 2-3 days.) so i'm gonna vote for RAM ("other" in the poll), since that worked best for me.

I like tazorac but my skins used to it, it got my sunburnt looking though so I don't think it'd go with your rosacea

You could try the gentlest retinoid, something like differin or retina micro

it's supposed to help with skin aging to

I actually read today on a rosacea forum that I shouldn't use any retinoids at all :(

I don't know what i'm going to do to try to keep my skin clear.

On the Green Cream community forums, they had lots of talk about roseca users... maybe you should head over there and do some searches

I actually read today on a rosacea forum that I shouldn't use any retinoids at all :(

On the Green Cream community forums, they had lots of talk about roseca users... maybe you should head over there and do some searches

Since you are post-Accutane, not dealing with acne that's really bad, and your skin is obviously very sensitive, i think you should go for the most gentle effective product possible and that would be Green Cream level 3. I have seen a lot of improvement in my skin since i started using GC. Don't jump right into daily use, work up to it slowly. Every third day for awhile, then every other day, then every day. Any time your skin shows evidence of irritation like redness or stinging, take a day or so off to let your skin recover. After your skin is used to level 3, move up to level 6 for more dramatic results. There is also a level 9 which is a little weaker than the weakest RetinA formula.

As far as being prohibited for those with rosacea i really have to question the wisdom in that. I suspect that advice is referring to the prescription products which are much more irritating. Green Cream is very gentle and if you go slow i doubt you'll have issues with it. Retinoids can really help over time with texture issues, discolorations, scarring, etc, in addition to opening the pores.

Kanmi,

I just want to clarify that Diacneal and Green Cream are not retinoids, they are retinol.

There is a difference, just so you know.

^ I just wanted to make sure that Kanmi knew the first 3 medications she listed were different from the last two products. They are prescription medications, whereas the last two are otc treatments.

I've used Retin-A and Green Cream, and imo, they are very different on the skin.

With the condition of her skin right now, probably either GC or Diacneal would be easier tolerated, like you said above.

Well, they are all different if you want to get down to it. Retin-A is tretinoin, Tazorac is tazarotene, Green Cream is retinol, Diacneal is retinol with glycolic acid. All those are retinoids. Differin (adapalene) is not truly a retinoid at all, but therapeutically it performs in similar ways.

Since you are post-Accutane, not dealing with acne that's really bad, and your skin is obviously very sensitive, i think you should go for the most gentle effective product possible and that would be Green Cream level 3. I have seen a lot of improvement in my skin since i started using GC. Don't jump right into daily use, work up to it slowly. Every third day for awhile, then every other day, then every day. Any time your skin shows evidence of irritation like redness or stinging, take a day or so off to let your skin recover. After your skin is used to level 3, move up to level 6 for more dramatic results. There is also a level 9 which is a little weaker than the weakest RetinA formula.

As far as being prohibited for those with rosacea i really have to question the wisdom in that. I suspect that advice is referring to the prescription products which are much more irritating. Green Cream is very gentle and if you go slow i doubt you'll have issues with it. Retinoids can really help over time with texture issues, discolorations, scarring, etc, in addition to opening the pores.

I think you'd get better results from something that will be less likely to increase your irritation that you can use more often. I would not recommend that you try RetinA until you have your skin accustomed to the retinoid with something less irritating. You may be able to get away with it, but given your extremely low tolerance for imperfection... i think you'd be better off with the gentler OTC GC.

Oops. I tried retin-a micro last night. I woke up this morning and it looks like nothing happened. My skin doesn't look red or anything. Hopefully I didn't damage it too much.

I ordered a sample of Green Cream level 3 last night.

Well if you didn't have any immediate reaction, it might work ok for you if you ease into it slowly. Green Cream is expensive and the results would be slower than RetinA if you could tolerate the RetinA at the same frequency. But give it 3 days before you use it again.

Oh yes of course I will be very cautious. I planned on waiting for up to a week before I used it again. That would really be great if it could work for me.

I wanted to mention an OTC retinoid that doesn't get much attention on these boards. Vivant Pharmeceuticals , Dr. Fulton's (co-developed the orginal Retin-A) own line, makes 3 products: Derm A Gel (mildest), Exfol-A, and Exfol-A Forte. It uses a patented form of vitamin A called Vitamin A Proprionate. According to Dr. Fulton, this is supposed to work similarly to Retin-A, minus most of the irritation. The products also contain either lactic or glycolic acid. I have been using the Derm A Gel for over 6 months, and I really like it a lot. I am trying to gradually work in the Exfol-A to my regimen now.

Just so OTC retinoid users know that there is another option out there!

I know this isn't a Retinoid, but I am currently using Sulfacet R for my mild acne. However, it says right on the bottle the Sulfacet R is also a gentle treatment for rosacea....maybe you could talk to your dermatologist about it?