Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
june bug

Hormonal acne is a mystery

I don't entirely understand hormonal acne - maybe someone can offer some insight. I know for a fact that mine is hormonally driven, but my forehead, nose, cheeks, and chin are completely clear. It is my jaw (and now lately my neck just under my jaw) that is the problem. What I don't understand is from what I have read acne in general is caused by a combination of excess of sebum / oil and slow skin cell turnover; basically your skin cells and oil get together and form a pore-blocking glue. My skin on my jaw is not as oily as the T-zone, and it is not dry or flaky. My skin on my neck is neither oily nor dry. Yet I am continuously battling blackheads, comedones, and cysts. Why the heck do I break out like crazy in this "normal" zone on my face?

I don't entirely understand hormonal acne - maybe someone can offer some insight. I know for a fact that mine is hormonally driven, but my forehead, nose, cheeks, and chin are completely clear. It is my jaw (and now lately my neck just under my jaw) that is the problem. What I don't understand is from what I have read acne in general is caused by a combination of excess of sebum / oil and slow skin cell turnover; basically your skin cells and oil get together and form a pore-blocking glue. My skin on my jaw is not as oily as the T-zone, and it is not dry or flaky. My skin on my neck is neither oily nor dry. Yet I am continuously battling blackheads, comedones, and cysts. Why the heck do I break out like crazy in this "normal" zone on my face?

I am in complete surgical menopause and still have acne :wall: I had a hysterectomy last year and for the first few weeks my face was clear but with no hormones at all my skin took on a really scary look. As soon as I started hormone replacement my skin went back to the way it was so it doesn't seem to matter whether it is natural or artficial hormones. Part of it just has to be age. Maybe there is more sebum and such that we just can't see :shrug:

Also, every dr wants to blame testosterone but with age your testosterone should decrease. I heard the Derma Doctor lady say once that your estrogen and progesterone should be at a 3:1 ratio. I don't know ...it is all so confusing. :wacko:

I had horrible cystic hormonal acne. Only on my chin and lower cheeks. Never anywhere else. I believe it was brought on by going on the pill. I got on the generic version of OTC called TriNessa and my face exploded! I stopped taking that after a few months and shelled out the 45 a month for OTC and my face got even worse. Then when I got off the pill to TTC it got 10x worse. This was alos when I was 28 and I know hormones change with age etc. Through oils and GOOD skin care products I am finally clear but it took about 19 months of trial and error. Hormonal acne sucks.

I had very mild acne problems in my 20's (I'm 32 now), and with both of my pregnancies I had absolutely perfect skin, not a zit in sight. When my son was born 6 years ago, my skin stayed good. I stopped taking the pill when he was about 3 and it broke out mildly. When I had my daughter last year I had great skin, but suddenly four months after she was born I started my period even though I was nursing exclusively (DAMN!). It was that same month that I started having major jawline breakouts, so I'm pretty sure mine must be because my body is really confused since it is producing breastmilk and still ovulating every month. I feel like a mess!

I rarely cycle, ya kinda nice sometimes, longest I have gone with No Cycle ( secondary ammenorhea ) was 7 years, I blamed lack of hormones on mine, but truth is I found a skin ritual that worked and now I am fine.............I think every individual is made up different hard to say what works sometimes

I think I finally outgrew the cystic acne all over my face. My acne now is primarily on my chin,along my jawline and sometimes on my neck. It's patches of small bumps that sometimes come to a head and sometimes dont. From what I have read this is hormonal acne. The bummer is that if it wasnt for stupid hormones, I would probably be acne free. My dr says that Birth Control would probably help but neither she or I want to try that because I am over 35 and I smoke. Bad combination especially since breast and cervical cancer already has a history in my family. I am looking into alternatives but unsuccessfully so far. I am going to experiment with either a hormonal tea that Ami suggested or I am going to go back on the Estroven (It's all natural) that I was taking before for night sweats. It never crossed my mind to try it for my acne. I'll keep ya'll posted on that experiment. In the mean time if anyone finds something different then please share! Lorrie

Well, I went to my doctor on Friday and she told me that NO topical acne prescriptions are rated as safe while breastfeeding. So, she prescribed me with a safe-while-nursing low-dose pill, microgestin. Keeping my fingers crossed and praying that it works :pray: