Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
steigler

My short story - Any ideas please?

post-55516-1173154752_thumb.jpgOkay so I am 21 years old, never really had acne until about 3 years ago (very mild) then got a bit worse, now I have moderate acne only around my mouth leading to chin area (some cystic I think, and usually always a whitehead.... started to see a dermatologist about 2 yrs ago.. and here is my history of my acne.

I typed my life story but scratched it because it was way confusing.. I'm gonna break down in instead what I've tried..

Adoxa with clindamycin lotion (couple months)

Amoxicillin with clindamycin wipes and tazorac (Moved to amox because I worked in the sun. used this for about a year, maybe a little more)

Amoxicillin with clindamycin wipes, tazorac, and duac (prob 6 months, and switched nightly taz and duac)

Doxycycline with tazorac and duac

Amoxicillin again with metrogel, differin, and mild steroidal cream (I guess for redness?) (used 4 weeks to barely any improvement)

Now from 2nd dermatologist - Amoxicillin(twice daily) with finacea and mymix/atopiclair (sp?) been on for 2 weeks now

All with 2 cleansers: a Gly Sal wash and Benz Perox wash

Now I use Cetaphil daily cleanser because my 2nd derm said the others were unnecessary

That is where I am at now

I don't know exactly where to go because my acne in the last 2 months hasn't improved very much at all. A mild improvement with the finacea and for the past week I have been doing that dip method in a sink of warm water for 60-100 seconds. That feels amazing and feels like it helps by drying my skin.. I was thinking about that whole pH of your skin and read a post about using baking soda and water and then ACV, then a eggwhite + lemon mask at night... what do you all think of that??

Oh that note I am also curious as to if dry skin is bad?... Do your glands overproduce oil if your skin is too dry? ... Also how do you know if you have dry, normal, oily, or very oily skin??

My weekly routine goes like this.. I workout often (I am in fact a personal trainer) usually 4 days a week. I take 100% whey protein, flaxseed and fishoil capsules, multi vitamin.. I eat mostly eggs, whole wheat bread, pasta, rice, chicken breast, lean ground turkey, steak, potatoes, oatmeal, veggies, fruits, lots of healthy food. and I mean LOTS probably just about 2700-3000 cals/day

My mom keeps telling me its the protein and I tried ridding the protein but I have not heard any valid evidence about protein (or diet for that matter) effecting acne.. every derm says no and every website and so forth.. but I did cut out milk and Cottage cheese because of added hormones they give the cows because hormones are what cause acne right? so I thought and read some stuff, and cut that out.. I might bring it back but go all organic with milk.

That is pretty much all of it, here is a picture of what my acne looks like presently..

I appreciate ANY comments and suggestions as to what might help!!

post-55516-1173154752_thumb.jpg

post-55516-1173154752_thumb.jpgOkay so I am 21 years old, never really had acne until about 3 years ago (very mild) then got a bit worse, now I have moderate acne only around my mouth leading to chin area (some cystic I think, and usually always a whitehead.... started to see a dermatologist about 2 yrs ago.. and here is my history of my acne.

I typed my life story but scratched it because it was way confusing.. I'm gonna break down in instead what I've tried..

Adoxa with clindamycin lotion (couple months)

Amoxicillin with clindamycin wipes and tazorac (Moved to amox because I worked in the sun. used this for about a year, maybe a little more)

Amoxicillin with clindamycin wipes, tazorac, and duac (prob 6 months, and switched nightly taz and duac)

Doxycycline with tazorac and duac

Amoxicillin again with metrogel, differin, and mild steroidal cream (I guess for redness?) (used 4 weeks to barely any improvement)

Now from 2nd dermatologist - Amoxicillin(twice daily) with finacea and mymix/atopiclair (sp?) been on for 2 weeks now

All with 2 cleansers: a Gly Sal wash and Benz Perox wash

Now I use Cetaphil daily cleanser because my 2nd derm said the others were unnecessary

That is where I am at now

I don't know exactly where to go because my acne in the last 2 months hasn't improved very much at all. A mild improvement with the finacea and for the past week I have been doing that dip method in a sink of warm water for 60-100 seconds. That feels amazing and feels like it helps by drying my skin.. I was thinking about that whole pH of your skin and read a post about using baking soda and water and then ACV, then a eggwhite + lemon mask at night... what do you all think of that??

Oh that note I am also curious as to if dry skin is bad?... Do your glands overproduce oil if your skin is too dry? ... Also how do you know if you have dry, normal, oily, or very oily skin??

My weekly routine goes like this.. I workout often (I am in fact a personal trainer) usually 4 days a week. I take 100% whey protein, flaxseed and fishoil capsules, multi vitamin.. I eat mostly eggs, whole wheat bread, pasta, rice, chicken breast, lean ground turkey, steak, potatoes, oatmeal, veggies, fruits, lots of healthy food. and I mean LOTS probably just about 2700-3000 cals/day

My mom keeps telling me its the protein and I tried ridding the protein but I have not heard any valid evidence about protein (or diet for that matter) effecting acne.. every derm says no and every website and so forth.. but I did cut out milk and Cottage cheese because of added hormones they give the cows because hormones are what cause acne right? so I thought and read some stuff, and cut that out.. I might bring it back but go all organic with milk.

That is pretty much all of it, here is a picture of what my acne looks like presently..

I appreciate ANY comments and suggestions as to what might help!!

Bolded part: if your skin is dry, it means it's flaking and you are probably are in excess of dead skin cells. Also, you are producing lots of oil. Together, they form acne. And in fact, it looks like when you shave, you're spreading the irritation+bacteria. All four combine seems to be the main reason for your acne.

Use a milk wash, like oil of olay's sensitive wash and use aloe vera gel and a bit of moisturizer after that. It will reduce your inflammation.

Also, how much fish oil are you taking? You are probably still out of balance on your ratio of omega 3 to 6. Find a 1:1 balance of even a 1:4 balance, since it's probably the most practical for you with your high caloric intake and you will see your inflammation, excess oily skin, and all reduce to nothing.

What also happens is right now your sebum is really thick, it needs to be regulated to the qualities normal sebum has. This is where the ratio comes in. Eventually, oil will be your friend, not your enemy :)

Also, since you have a high level of testosterone, you produce lots of it converting to DHT, which stimulates the sebatious glands. I'm not saying stop working out, I'm saying since that it's going to happen, it's critical to take omega 3's at the right dosage so it's in balance and that the oil won't clog your pores :)

That's the cheapest, and best way around it, since oil production is usually not too much in our hands.

Trust me, it works, if you want proof, I'll be more than happy to supply you with pages upon pages :)

I would seriously wait on adding anything but what your derm suggested for a few more weeks. They're right that with all the other things you were doing, a medicated cleanser is not necessary. If you were irritated or out of whack with everything from before what your new derm prescribed it can take weeks for your skin to normalize and have a chance at responding to the new treatment. Give it a chance before you start throwing more things at your poor face.

Thanks for the replies guys..

ndnromeo, how can you tell my skin is oily? Just my looking at the picture?

Also, what kind of cleanser by olay specifically? why aloe vera gel?

My intake of flax and fish oil right now is 3 1000mg flaxseed softgels, and 3 1000mg fishoil softgels..

Thanks! Cheers!

Thanks for the replies guys..

ndnromeo, how can you tell my skin is oily? Just my looking at the picture?

Also, what kind of cleanser by olay specifically? why aloe vera gel?

My intake of flax and fish oil right now is 3 1000mg flaxseed softgels, and 3 1000mg fishoil softgels..

Thanks! Cheers!

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp...983&tab=1#1

Check out the reviews. Best cleanser period.

And not only because of the oil on your face, but it usually should never shimmer that way, it either is from irritation or just from natural hormones, but either way, the 3 pills is probably not enough. I get half as many calories as you and I need 6 pills. The omega 3 from a 1000 mg pill is dictated by the epa + dha on the back of the bottle.

The way you can calculate it is by doing this:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=141574

Figure out your ratio :)

If you find that you need to take something like 10 pills a day then you may need to alter your diet. But since you body build, you probably may not do it.

I've found some great meals with omega 3 enriched foods. land o lakes has a fish oil enhanced eggs. Someone else told me about that. at groceries, there's some pasta that has multi grain, and is enriched with 350 mg's of omega 3 in each serving! that's the best.

And I say aloe vera because it not only moisturizes, but it sinks in without feeling oily. It binds moisture to your skin since it's essentially water, and it helps the inflammation etc.

Great stuff

It looks to me like your acne around your mouth/chin area is inflammatory acne (pustules and papules). Do you suffer from clogged pores/comedones/blackheads? Because I don't really see any in the picture. If you're only suffering from inflammatory acne, which is what your chin acne looks like, then I'd definitely give the DKR a go. Basically you wash with a gentle cleanser, apply BP, and apply moisturizer or lotion twice a day, although I've gotten away with doing it only once a day for a couple of years. Anyway, you can find out more about it on the DKR forum. Hope that helps!