Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I dont know why but acne is affecting me differently (or atleast by what I can see) than others. If I have one minor pimple, I shut down. I dont mean to brag but I dont have what most people would consider acne, just the monthly cyst or two and I'm on my 3rd month of accutane for that. I cant even sleep at night because I'm on the verge of a panic attack that something will pop up in the morning. I know I shouldnt care as much as I do but I dread having to get ready in the morning, I usually give up and I hide in my room. If I absolutly have to go out for say an exam...the whole day I'm just waiting for the moment that I can wash my face and let my skin breath a bit. I never touch my face, I make sure I take all my vitamins, I drink water and vinager (ewww) I am super paranoid about what I put on my face. When I dont have a cyst I'm a pretty normal person.

Luckily, I got up the nerves and covered the best I could of an atrophy spot (no active spots here, thank god) and got to spend some time with this guy that lives upstairs who i've been sorta seeing since school started, but have been avoiding for the past month. Wow did it feel good to have loving human contact...I was craving it soooo badly. Anyways, he has pretty moderate acne, it just looks scaby red, with small papules nothing really ozzing. It sorta just fits his face well enough that you notice it but its not gross looking. Plus I really feel his pain, even though he goes out and has fun. So I had my face resting on his and you know all that jazz. And now I'm freaking out!! I remember reading that it isnt contagious but now the side of my face feels rough...probably his stubble but I'm still sooo scared. I really like him but if he's going to make me break out I just cant have that :( I dont think I have BDD cus I dont see myself as disgusting and you'd think I'd be sooo repulsed by him if I did. thoughts welcome.

I am sure there is a term for it. I am sure it is perfectly natural to feel afraid or disguisted by acne as after all it is alien to the human body and shouldn't really be part of our skin. It is also unsightly. I wouldn't say I am afraid of it but I certainly get annoyed by it.

Maybe you are nosophobic - the fear of contracting a disease.

There is also something called acnephilia or acne fetish. Not my cup od tea, yeuk, but I guess what works for some doesn't for others, lol.

not really scared of contracting a disease...although it would suck.

Maybe I'm just vain : ( dont really mind it on others...just not on me.

So can you break out from being intimate with someone who has acne?

not really scared of contracting a disease...although it would suck.

Maybe I'm just vain : ( dont really mind it on others...just not on me.

So can you break out from being intimate with someone who has acne?

Axideltagirl,

I'm like you :P. I can't stand anything on me, not one bump. The only person in the entire world who has seen my "real" face (without coverup) in the last... year... or two, or something like that, is my mom. And thats maybe once or twice. I know this is weird, but I actually get kind of happy when other people have a bump or something, it gives me something with which I can compare my complexion. The only thing is, I think I'm the only one with an actual scar at my school

:( Totally not fair.

I hope that doesn't mean we're vain :P Just... concerned with the way we look. High expectations, low self esteem maybe.

No acne is not contagious. You will not break out because of him.

Other than that you just need to get over the fact that your skin is perfect except for one little flaw. I'm pretty bad but don't ruin your time at IU because of it. People won't remember you because of one little blemish, they remember you because the person you are and the personality you bring. Just keep that in your thoughts and go out on Thursday...shit we have spring break right around the corner so have some fun!

People won't remember you because of one little blemish, they remember you because the person you are and the personality you bring.

Now that I'm clear when the occasional pimple does pop up I usually want to cry and have a nervous breakdown over it! I can't explain this ridiculous behavior. When I see people with acne I see past the acne and see them yet I can't do that with myself.

I've never thought I was attractive even without pimples so having them makes it worse. Gah..I wish I didn't feel that way though.

Now that I'm clear when the occasional pimple does pop up I usually want to cry and have a nervous breakdown over it! I can't explain this ridiculous behavior. When I see people with acne I see past the acne and see them yet I can't do that with myself.

I've never thought I was attractive even without pimples so having them makes it worse. Gah..I wish I didn't feel that way though.

You might have a mildform of Body dysmorphic disorder (BDD) (not a full-blown problem)

"a mental disorder, which involves a disturbed body image. It is generally diagnosed of those who are extremely critical of their physique or self image, despite the fact there may be no noticeable disfigurement or defect.

Most people wish they could change or improve some aspect of their physical appearance, but people suffering from BDD, generally considered of normal appearance, believe that they are so unspeakably hideous that they are unable to interact with others or function normally for fear of ridicule and humiliation at their appearance. They tend to be very secretive and reluctant to seek help because they are afraid others will think them vain or they may feel too embarrassed to do so."