Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
canes02

amnesteem on 3rd month

Hi everyone,

I've been on amnesteem (isotretinoin) for about 2 and 1/2 months now, and have seen little improvement if any...besides the side effects (chapped lips, dry scalp, etc) there has been no change, and i still have new pimples showing up here and there...im on an alternating 40 mg one day and 80 mg the next day...should i ask for an increase in my dosage, or is this normal to not see any improvement til later in the treament?

I was on 40 mg a day and had marked improvement by the 3rd month. Are you taking the pill with a fatty meal? I'm not saying it's odd to have so few side effects, but it could be an indication that less is absorbing into your body than you think. Try taking the pills with avocado, a full glass of milk, olive oil, salmon, etc. and see how that works.

I'm on the same dosage but only about 1 1/2 months in. My lips are extremely dry and I'm still getting lots of new spots, especially around period time. I noticed that about a week after my dosage went up, my nose started to get oily again, and more little blackheads are coming out. I was pretty sure they were all gone during the first month, but I guess my surprises are deeper than I thought. :doubt: So pretty much, no signs of clearing just yet.

TS, if you are getting a LOT of spots during period time... are you on a hormonal birth control for accutane? Or have you ever tried hormonal birth control to fix the acne? Just curious.

Its my 2nd week on Amnesteem but Im still breaking out but for some reason my scars look better. Is there any difference between Amnesteem and Accutane then could give different results with acne?

Nope. Both are isotretinoin and behave the same. Some people swear they see better results with "the real stuff" but there is no difference between generic and brand-name. i took Amnesteem and Sotret the whole time.

Sooo i have these salmon burgers in the freezer, haha....just wondering if that would be good to take my pills with, and maybe a glass of milk....any other ideas for meals i could put together to see if it makes a difference...

I took my pill with breakfast every day - 2 pieces of buttered toast and a big glass of chocolate milk. That was just me though. Whole-milk dairy products will do well, as will guacamole, etc. Just don't skimp on the fat! I gained 15 lbs on accutane, baby ;) And still clear!

Fish oil pills may also assist in absorption. At least, I think they did for me because I saw no improvement until I started taking them. I take two 1 gram pills with each amnesteem dose. I also take 400 IU of Vitamin E , 1 per day (derm's recommendation).