Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bfrey

16/m/115lbs started 3-2-07

A little background to my whole situation:

About six or so months ago, my acne was pretty much down to nothing, but at the time I was still self-conscious about it. I wanted to get on accutane then, but my mom decided against it, and we never really rescheduled a dermatologist appointment after that. For the next two or so months, my acne said in remission and I didn't really think about it, but then over the past four months or so it's slowly becoming worse and worse.

At the current moment, it's probably the worst it's ever been (although not terrible by acne standards), so I got into the dermatologists this past Wednesday and my mom agreed to let me take Accutane. So here I am, I guess.

I currently have no real regimen outside of taking Accutane at night and watching my diet a little bit.

Day 1 (3-2-07)

No noticeable difference as far as I can tell.

Day 2 (3-3-07)

I feel like I can tell a slight difference, although I'm pretty sure it's all in my head.

Day 3 (3-4-07)

The acne on the back of my neck is making me super self-conscious, guh. If I could wish for anything to go away first it would be the few pimples there. Grahhhh.

Day 4 (3-5-07)

Just took my pill a few hours ago, I guess I'll see in the morning if there's any real difference. I've noticed that my face has started to get just a little drier than usual, but nothing I can't easily handle.

Day 5 (3-6-07)

My face seems a little less red for sure, but otherwise no real difference.

Day 6(3-7-07)

This might seem strange, but I've actually been hoping for mild side effects? I've just been sort of worried when my skin hasn't been getting dry at all, because that sort of seems like a sign that it's working. Well, today my face got dry and my lips were a wee bit chapped. I guess it's working?

I hate how since I see my face many times every day, the minor daily changes aren't even noticeable. Only when a big change (mostly the negative ones) over night happens do you really notice a difference.

Oh yeah. I forgot to mention the muscle pains. They're real tiny, like when I'm sitting Indian-style, and I stand up my abs hurt. It's not bad at all, I'm just hoping it doesn't get unbearable over the course of this.

Day 6(3-7-07)

Same as before. My mom says my face is less red. I started taking Fish Oil today with my pill because a lot of people have recommended it.

Day 21

I think that's right, I just took the first pill outta my third pack. So far my skin has progressively become drier and I've even noticed a little dandruff (ugh) when I wake up, but it seems to go away for the day in the shower. My lips have also become really dry and I've had mild muscle pains in my abdomen/back. As far as my acne goes, it's reduced in redness by quite a bit, and over all I guess you could say I've had a mild improvement. I have been getting probably three times as many whiteheads as before though, which I dislike quite a bit more. It's so tempting to have at 'em.

I can't believe I'm already three weeks into this though, that's cool I guess, I hope the rest of it goes as fast.

Good Luck! I'm here if you need any additional support! It's a long road but I think it will go by fast!!

I'd love to add you as a friend so I can remember to check in with you!!

Take care!

Day 27

I had my appointment today, I got upped to 60mg today. He was gonna put me on 80, but because I only weigh about 52kg, he didn't feel comfortable for now. He told me my cholesterol was 144 with very high good cholesterol, so that's cool.

I think my acne's become much less inflamed...like less rash-y. The derm said it looked more inflamed, but I think he just doesn't remember exactly how bad it was a month ago.

Also, because the derm was worried about scarring, what does anyone here recommend for shaving to avoid (how gross it sounds) cutting active zits. It's pretty much right now an unavoidable form of picking at my skin. And not shaving isn't really an option.

Use an electric shaver. It isn't a very close shave so it won't irritate your skin, but you might have to do it twice a day.

And you probably won't see any results until about your third month. But when the results come, you'll be very happy. :)

Day 29ish?

I forgot to mention that my dermatologist said that I'm only on tane for five months, when I thought it was six, that was pretty sweet. Yeah, I'm gonna need to get an electric shaver soon. Otherwise, no noticeable changes.