Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
june bug

Finally, as a last resort, I'm going to my doctor

Well, I've been putting off going to a doctor (because I was so sure if I tried the "next" OTC product it would miraculously cure my acne. Nothing has worked very good, so I'm going in for a prescription to get this cursed hormonal acne under control. What should I ask for? My skin type is oily and sensitive. Have used Clindamyacin before with so-so effect. I can't take anything internal - yet (nursing a baby), so everything has to be topical. Any advice would be much appreciated. I would like to go into the doctor knowing what to ask for.

Well, I've been putting off going to a doctor (because I was so sure if I tried the "next" OTC product it would miraculously cure my acne. Nothing has worked very good, so I'm going in for a prescription to get this cursed hormonal acne under control. What should I ask for? My skin type is oily and sensitive. Have used Clindamyacin before with so-so effect. I can't take anything internal - yet (nursing a baby), so everything has to be topical. Any advice would be much appreciated. I would like to go into the doctor knowing what to ask for.

Make sure your dr's office knows you are nursing, before your appt. They may tell you to postpone.

When I was breastfeeding, I called and made a derm appt. They did not ask me if I was pregnant or nursing when I scheduled the appt. When I arrived, and the dr found out that I was nursing, he said "come back when you've weaned. There is nothing I can do for you." And he charged me $65 for the office visit.

When I arrived, and the dr found out that I was nursing, he said "come back when you've weaned. There is nothing I can do for you." And he charged me $65 for the office visit.

Yikes! Yeah, they do know that I'm nursing. At worst, I'm out the $10 co-pay. I'm with an HMO (yipee), so it is a regular dr. visit, not a derm. I am interested in possibly trying Differin Gel, if it is safe while nursing. My baby is almost a year, and should be weaned soon (she only nurses before she goes to sleep now).

Ask him about the use of the following products and if they are safe for use while you are nursing. Honestly, no one here (unless they are a doctor) is really going to know if these products are safe. Obviously, Accutane is out during this time.

Topical retinoids, e.g., retin-a, etc.

Topical BP: Duac is pretty good (5%BP, 1% clindamyacin), Triaz I liked a lot.

Good luck!